Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W Model 940

(Delaware County)

Default S&W Model 940

I've had this 9 mm, J frame, Centennial style revolver for a bit over a year. I first started shooting it at the range while still recovering from a rotator cuff injury, so I have more one-hand hold rounds downrange with this than with my other handguns. It's somewhat snappy, and the stock trigger can get irritating after a couple of boxes of ammo (but the trigger pull itself is still the smooth S&W style), but I've gotten to like it enough so that it's become one of my standard carry pieces. I keep 2 spare loaded moonclips in a prescription bottle in my other pocket. That's actually one of the things I like about it - the standard 30-pill bottle will hold the spare moonclips. I just keep the two clips separated with a cut out circle of foam padding.

Anybody else a Model 940 fan?
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: S&W Model 940

I love my 940. I do the same as what you describe w/ the Rx bottle and spare moon clips, only I just put the rounds nose-to-nose, so they kinda interlock b/w the rounds of the opposing moon clip.

When I carry it, it's either in a tuckable kydex AIWB, or (most frequently) in a cheapo pocket holster in jeans. The steel frame makes it too heavy, IMO, for pocket carry in slacks. But jeans are fine.

My 940 is one of my favorite guns, and I searched high and low for it at a reasonable price, before finding a lead from a forum member on an excellent condition one priced the same as one would expect to pay for a used 642, etc...

That said, recoil is snappy w/ +P rounds, and I also have trouble w/ accuracy (that is all me, though - I believe the gun itself is plenty accurate). First time I shot my 940, I drew blood from my strong hand thumb knuckle and my trigger finger. Lesson learned on grip technique!

WWB ammo will occasionally stick (mildly) in my cylinder after firing, but nothing else I have shot does so. That includes Blazer Brass, American Eagle, Federal Champion, RWS, HST 124 +P, and probably lots of others I can't recall...

Regards,

Bones

(Cumberland County)

Bastards.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Bastards.
    Why so serious?
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.