Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default Help Choosing Integral .22 Pistol

Hello all, I am currently scraping together the funds for my gun trust and first NFA purchase. I would like your assistance and input with choosing an integrally suppressed 22 pistol. What I like about the integrally suppressed pistols are that many are ported to allow quiet shooting with bulk or standard velocity ammo. I don't mind not being able to switch the suppressor to another host but am worried about the effectiveness of cleaning the integral suppressors. That is the main draw for me (they also look very clean and smooth). I have been doing research forever (it seems) but I can not find enough info to fairly compare the various choices. What I am looking for includes

Ported barrel (to allow quit shooting of standard bulk ammo)
    Stainless steel or titanium, tube and baffles
    Least amount of first round pop as possible
    Ability for user dis-assembly for cleaning
    Very good sound suppression

I am looking for a NIB current production Ruger pistol. Companies that I am looking at are

Troy Industries
    AAC (supposedly will be making one)
    AWC
    Johns Guns
    GKD
    SRT Arms
    Paladin Armory
    Keechi Creek Arms

but I do not know how these rate and what other smaller companies are out there with good reputations. It is difficult to gather the info and much of it is outdated. Price is not necessarily an issue because I am wiling to save longer but I don't like to get ripped off when I can get the same thing for a better price. I kind of prefer stainless over titanium (cuz I don't know much about it) and it seems that titanium suppressors are sealed which concerns me when it comes to cleaning. I heard that with a solution you can just soak those suppressors but is it really that easy and reliable?

Thanks for reading my rambling and hopefully someone takes it upon himself/herself to help me with this endeavor. I'd like to hear what you have to say!

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Help Choosing Integral .22 Pistol

There are some really great integrally suppressed 22s on the market.
    But im not sure you are going to find one with everything you are looking for....with out going custom.
    I do not know of any that have ported barrels. The entire barrel tube/sleeve would have to be able to come off to clean, if the manufacture feels the need. Pretty much an over sized MP5SD type of construction.

The tube may be stn stl, but the baffles will probably be alum to save weight.
    Some may use titanium to save weight. Again, this may come down to custom parts.

First round pop is just a nature of the beast and physics. You may notice a difference from one can to the next, but there is really no way to avoid it.

Your best answers will come from the manufactures. If they cant/wont answer your question, they do not deserve your money (IMO)

Yes, you can clean stn stl and titanium parts in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. This will eat/dissolve the lead and carbon on the parts. How ever you will end up with lead acetate, so use caution!
    Do not use alum in this or it will destroy it.

-ACW's Amphibian/Badlander have been around for a long time and are great sounding guns. I personally have not had one apart, so i do not know the exact construction.

-John's Guns are pretty much the same all around as AWC. I have taken apart a few of the 77/22 rifles and from the looks of the pistol, they are the same design (only guessing). Shortened barrel with K baffles, (5-6 baffles on the rifle, alum baffles)
    4-3/4" barrel, 8" tube
    The pistols sound great as do their rifles.

-GKD *WATCH OUT WITH GKD/SHOOTER'S DEPOT*
    do a Google search on their carbon fiber cans and their customer service

-Paladin Armory, i have never dealt with any of their products.

-Gemtech Oasis was a top performer when it was available. Buy the suppressor separately, remove your barrel and bolt, insert your bolt into the Oasis, re-attache barrel, and go shoot.
    Its only down side was a sealed alum can.

-S&H Arms has made a few through the years and have been top notch. You can either buy the entire gun from them or supply your host weapon for a discount.

Check out David at Liberty Suppressor for some custom stuff with titanium. He has re-cored a few 22LR cans for me from alum to Ti.
    Last edited by Nate7667; April 11th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Northampton County)

Most bulk and regular high velocity ammo is quiet out of .22 pistols with regular cans. The barrel is usually not long enough to get supersonic velocities even with most ordinary high velocity ammo.

I'm not sure I've heard of porting in .22 handguns, but you've looked into it so I'm sure your right, and I'm sure there is a reason for it. I know it's done a lot with 9mm and longer barrels. I just wanted to point out that a second look might be in order because in my experience it's usually not necessary in .22 handguns.

Have you tried some regular cans vs. integral .22 pistol cans? Just don't want to see you limit yourself needlessly if getting a quiet shot is your only reason for choosing integral.

(Beaver County)

I have an older John Ceiner Ruger Mark II with a ported barrel that is suppressed. The whole reason for the porting was to ensure that that round did not go supersonic. There are a few rounds that will go supersonic in a pistol with a 5" barrel. CCI Blazer 22 ammo will go supersonic out of my Buckmark. This has been confirmed also by my chrono. Now there is much more ammo choices that will insure your round stays subsonic.

The ported barrel makes a mess inside the suppressor and if not taken apart in a regular basis can make it almost impossible to take apart. Most of the lead and unburnt powder ends up around the ports instead of the baffles. As for my integral Ruger I don't think it's as quite as my SWR can but it's close.

I've always wanted one of these guns but I definately wouldn't be looking at one with ports. Now that I own one I definitely dont want another. I'll stick to screw in cans.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; April 11th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Tioga County)

Thank you for the replies and now I have a few more things to consider. I have heard that screw on suppressor technology has improved but for your can to sound just as quit as your integral makes me lean more towards an SWR can. I will continue to do research on the topic.

(Beaver County)

Join the Silencer Research forum if you haven't all ready. The guy there seems to do some nice testing of various cans with popular guns.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Armstrong County)

Im not sure if Titsworth at Silencer research is still charging to get the test information or not. Been many moons since i have been on his site.

If you want free info check out NFAtalk.org
    Pretty sure you have to sign up, but its free info. Great group of guys, they do their own metering tests and post the info for free.

Anything screw on from SilencerCo, SWR, AAC, Liberty Sup, will not be a bad choice. They all make end user take-down, stn stl/Ti cans that are top notch.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50