Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Stippling

(Dauphin County)

Default Stippling

After seeing some pictures of it floating around the internet, i decided to get it a try myself. I picked up a pmag solely for the the purpose of practicing and wouldn't mind throwing away if i screwed up. I figured I'd do the punisher skull cause it has varying lines and curves. And cause i like it, lol

I used 2 different texture methods. The first one i used the poking method, and i'd say its more form than function, it increased the texture/grip slightly but not what I would consider useful. And the first one took about 45-60 minutes to do.

The second method, only took about 15 minutes to do, and I did a cross hatching style. Which is definitely function over form. It's slightly uncomfortable but it definitely grips well, i'd imagine even better with gloves on.

I plan on practicing on a few more pmags before stepping up to doing a firearm, if i even decide to do it. I may just stick to doing mags.

Any opinions, suggestions, etc?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Stippling

IMO I think the first one turned out better looking, but if the second one has more grip and you want function over form then stick with that.

Nice job by the way. Definitely more artistic than me haha

(Lancaster County)

its fun to play with i was almost bummed when my gun was done. i use a really fine tip and keep it moving fast and light to get a wood look which is really grippy.

(Philadelphia County)

The first one looks much cleaner but as kbcobra26 said, if the second functions better go with that. I would be pretty particular, making sure it looked perfect and functioned well haha. Nice job.

(Dauphin County)

I started a mag today with the original method, poking with a sharp point. Taking my time and not really going for a design but more for function. And it's turning out fairly well IMO. Takes a while but I think it looks good.

I'm not sure if there's really a market for this, but I'm thinking about making some up with various patterns and designs then posting them for sale.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    I started a mag today with the original method, poking with a sharp point. Taking my time and not really going for a design but more for function. And it's turning out fairly well IMO. Takes a while but I think it looks good.

I'm not sure if there's really a market for this, but I'm thinking about making some up with various patterns and designs then posting them for sale.
    Those look great, following the raised part of the mags should aid grip. I think you could sell them. There are aways some people that would rather pay for a service than do the work themselves. Keep up the good work.

(Westmoreland County)

Nice work. I didn't think of stippling magazines.

(Dauphin County)

Finished 2 more mags. I have one more pattern I want to try before moving up to a firearm

(Columbia County)

I like the first punisher skull with the very fine pattern. Well done. I never really thought about using stencils but bet some pretty cool stuff could be done with them.