Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default PSA Shootout 2012

I am looking at shooting my first competion and looking at shooting this course. http://www.psashootout.com/ and suggestion on gear i need for this ? i will be shooting a cz 75 phantom, 9mm, and currently have 2 mags for it, about how many mags is recommened foir this shoot ? Any suggestions would be great , thank you.
    Freedom Defense Resources

(Delaware County)

Default Re: PSA Shootout 2012

What is your skill level? They have some pretty small targets and they have Texas stars, swingers and a Polish plate rack that can task shooters of moderate ability (like myself). I go to the line with 50 rounds for the 30ish targets on a stage. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

ETA, I prefer to load from my belt, but plenty of folks load from the table. So one in the gun and 4 on the belt is my load out.

(Indiana County)

While I have never shot this particular match, looking at the pictures on the site, I'd show up with no less than 5 magazines, and I suggest 8.

I see in their rules that you are limited to 10 rounds, which I think is crap and would be a reason why I'd not even go, but that's not the point I guess. The point is that you will need three mags to do a clean run of 30 targets, depending on your skill set, you need to decide how many misses you think you will be having.

Like said above, I wouldn't go to the line with any less than 4 spare mags.

I used to keep one extra in my back pocket just in case of a magazine malfunction or if I dropped a mag on the ground.

Have extras on hand in your range bag in case you blow a spring or some other problem arises with a mag or two.
    You will be dropping mags onto a table of the ground.
    You gun might be kind of an odd one, so borrowing an extra mag is probably going to be hard.
    Take plenty.

Also, with a 9mm, when shooting steel, shot placement is more critical. No matter what a place says about the steel being calibrated to 9mm, that's pretty much always crap.
    (read rule #9 on their site)
    Those large poppers might take multiple hits to drop depending on where you hit them. Hit them low and they might just stand there.

As for any tips, it's hard to suggest something to someone you don't know since you are unaware of their skill set.
    Something I would recommend being your first time, do not rush, take your time.
    I hate to say it, but you are not going to be winning anything unless you are some sort of savant.
    Make your hits count and to hell with the time.

This is hard to do, but once you get comfortable in your shot placement, do not wait to see the steel fall, shoot and more to the next target.

Practice at home with an empty gun, put post-its on the wall and practice shooting while "on the move", not your feet on the move, but the muzzle. Go from one target to the next without making hard stops that require you to bring the gun back onto target after going past it.

Practice your reloads without dropping your gun. Keep the gun up in the sight picture, drop the mag, and insert the fresh one while keeping your eyes on the range.

And last, if you do not understand any of the rules or instructions, please do not stand back and not ask.
    I used to see new guys that would not ask and then get disqualified for violation of a rule that was clearly explained.
    I did it once on a holster retention test. I was using a race holster and didn't set the lock because I didn't ask if it should be locked while running from the line to the table.
    I was DQ'd and had to sit out the rest of the match.

(Delaware County)

10 rounds in the gun maximum is an easy way to make things even and decide the match on shooter's ability rather than equipment. Yeah, there is still some slight advantage to be gained by huge wells in double stack frames, but in general 10 rounds in the gun or mag is an equalizer.

The PSA steel will go down with a 9 easily unless you shoot poppers in the feet.

The 50% payout by Lewis Class means that there is a chance to luck into money even if you aren't a top 5 shooter. I've been paid several times in the eleven matches I've attended and I've never finished above the median.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    What is your skill level? They have some pretty small targets and they have Texas stars, swingers and a Polish plate rack that can task shooters of moderate ability (like myself). I go to the line with 50 rounds for the 30ish targets on a stage. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

ETA, I prefer to load from my belt, but plenty of folks load from the table. So one in the gun and 4 on the belt is my load out.

i consider myself a pretty good shooter. i was in the marines 2002-2006, spent time after that working for the embassy in iraq training tactics and house clearing. also im an NRA instructor. I shoot on a regular basis providing i have the time off work.

i am used to practical and tactical shooting from the belt so i will be reloading from there.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    While I have never shot this particular match, looking at the pictures on the site, I'd show up with no less than 5 magazines, and I suggest 8.

I see in their rules that you are limited to 10 rounds, which I think is crap and would be a reason why I'd not even go, but that's not the point I guess. The point is that you will need three mags to do a clean run of 30 targets, depending on your skill set, you need to decide how many misses you think you will be having.

Like said above, I wouldn't go to the line with any less than 4 spare mags.

I used to keep one extra in my back pocket just in case of a magazine malfunction or if I dropped a mag on the ground.

Have extras on hand in your range bag in case you blow a spring or some other problem arises with a mag or two.
    You will be dropping mags onto a table of the ground.
    You gun might be kind of an odd one, so borrowing an extra mag is probably going to be hard.
    Take plenty.

Also, with a 9mm, when shooting steel, shot placement is more critical. No matter what a place says about the steel being calibrated to 9mm, that's pretty much always crap.
    (read rule #9 on their site)
    Those large poppers might take multiple hits to drop depending on where you hit them. Hit them low and they might just stand there.

As for any tips, it's hard to suggest something to someone you don't know since you are unaware of their skill set.
    Something I would recommend being your first time, do not rush, take your time.
    I hate to say it, but you are not going to be winning anything unless you are some sort of savant.
    Make your hits count and to hell with the time.

This is hard to do, but once you get comfortable in your shot placement, do not wait to see the steel fall, shoot and more to the next target.

Practice at home with an empty gun, put post-its on the wall and practice shooting while "on the move", not your feet on the move, but the muzzle. Go from one target to the next without making hard stops that require you to bring the gun back onto target after going past it.

Practice your reloads without dropping your gun. Keep the gun up in the sight picture, drop the mag, and insert the fresh one while keeping your eyes on the range.

And last, if you do not understand any of the rules or instructions, please do not stand back and not ask.
    I used to see new guys that would not ask and then get disqualified for violation of a rule that was clearly explained.
    I did it once on a holster retention test. I was using a race holster and didn't set the lock because I didn't ask if it should be locked while running from the line to the table.
    I was DQ'd and had to sit out the rest of the match.

thanks for the great ideas. i already to drills at the range with muliple targets and shooting and moving ( feet and/or gun) i dont mean to boast but i do consider myself a good shooter already. i out shoot must people at the ranges i go to already. I have decided after much practice and shooting that this is the year to break into it. i have about 10 years of shooting experience. all mostly tactical type shooting. i dont plan on going in and winning anything other than knowledge and experience. and hopefully get to meet some good shooters to improve my skill sets i already have. if there is one thing i have learned is to learn as much as possible from other shooters. it helps me train other shooters from all walks of life.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by kujo0311 View Post
    I am looking at shooting my first competion and looking at shooting this course. http://www.psashootout.com/ and suggestion on gear i need for this ? i will be shooting a cz 75 phantom, 9mm, and currently have 2 mags for it, about how many mags is recommened foir this shoot ? Any suggestions would be great , thank you.
    You will need an mimimum for 3-4 per stage if you don't miss. They have some really small steel some at odd angle and varying distances and heights. I would recommend at least 6 mags at a minimum. With the possibilities of jams and mag failures, I always take 8 loaded mags to the line for this match. They have a rule that once a mag hits the ground it is dead and you can not retrieve it.

Take at least 300 rounds to shoot the match. There are about 150 pieces of steel in this match. I will have 400 rounds just in case. They say that there are no reshoots for range failures, but I have seen them in the past.

You can start off the table so you will not need to draw from a holster (unless you want to). And you can have all of your mags on the table for reloading.

You picked an fun but very challanging match to start with. Good luck and don't let a bad stage fluster you.

Make sure that you pistol is sighted in for at least 20 yards and practice shooting at 3 inch circles at that distance.

Have fun.

I will be shooting Saturday morning with the crew from East Huntington.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Here is an idea on what the match is like. Matt Trout is a repeat winner both in Open and Stock. I am happy shooting in twice the speed that he does it in. It is always good to shoot with great shooter on a regular basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwyX2z8PEME
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Montgomery County)

Saturday April 14, 8am-3pm LPRGC.org is having a Falling Steel Practice match for that PSA shootout.

Some reason when I heard people talking about it, I kept thinking it was the Steel League Shoot, when I checked out the website, looks like only the Thursday shoot is still open.. Guess I'll get to the next one.

Not sure if I ever heard anyone complain about having to many mags when shooting .. So bring as many as you can..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Here is an idea on what the match is like. Matt Trout is a repeat winner both in Open and Stock. I am happy shooting in twice the speed that he does it in. It is always good to shoot with great shooter on a regular basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwyX2z8PEME
    great video. good to see what kinda targets ill be shooting at. and i can now study the video and attempt to see where abouts i would need a reload with a few misses here and there.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast