Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Is it worth reloading 9mm yet?

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Spoken like a true programmer. Speaking from first hand experience.... I think I even used that line once before myself.
    haha..

In actuallity, my programming carrer ended when I found a DOS Batch File too much of a hassle to handle.

In the other hand, my 3d artistic carrer begun the second I saw that T-Rex in Jurassic Park at the theater. Many summers ago back in Argentina.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Union County)

In my case it isn't worth reloading the 9mm yet. You can still get good prices on 9mm if ordering in bulk...by bulk I don't mean just one or two cases.

grizz

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post

The 9mm casing is rather small and is a PITA to load...I know some will say it's not a big deal, but for me...I don't need to load for 9mm, so I won't.
    I often hear this about 9mm but does that apply to a progressive press operation? Dumping small amounts of powder in those cases would get tedious i'm sure but I can't see the difference between loading 9 any more a PITA than 357 on a progressive. Maybe I just have lil' fingers.

Red face Re: Is it worth reloading 9mm yet?

[QUOTE=aubie515;15076]I personally don't and won't load for 9mm. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my 9mm pistols...they are fun to shoot...but it's not like I'd miss them if I sold them.

What 9's might you be dumping? I have a Glock 19 for a daily carry and stake my life on it, A little more expensive to practice not being able to use Lead.
    The other a 1939 P38 with Codes. Love that Weapon and the history.
    Send your 9's my way I'll trade you a Tax Exempt Donation Slip
    Later,
    Eddie O

[QUOTE=Eddie O;1043327]
    Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I personally don't and won't load for 9mm. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my 9mm pistols...they are fun to shoot...but it's not like I'd miss them if I sold them.

What 9's might you be dumping? I have a Glock 19 for a daily carry and stake my life on it, A little more expensive to practice not being able to use Lead.
    The other a 1939 P38 with Codes. Love that Weapon and the history.
    Send your 9's my way I'll trade you a Tax Exempt Donation Slip
    Later,
    Eddie O
    You do realize that was posted like...3 years ago?

(Monroe County)

It has always paid off to load 9mm. Even back in the late 1980's when 9mm was $4-5.00/box of reloads I could reload a box for about $1.75 and that don't take long on a progressive press.

I reload the 9mm on a Lee Turret Press.

If I sit and work only on reloading, I get about 150 done is less than an hour. I use it as not time wasted but quiet time to process the day. And it does wind up much cheaper, even with the high cost of the components.

(Columbia County)

Wow. This thread was really drudged up from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    In the past, many said that reloading 9mm wasn't worth it because it wasn't cost effective. For the cost of materials, time, and trouble, it was cheaper to just buy rather than reload.

Now that ammo prices are on the rise, I was wondering if all you reloaders out there have reconsidered reloading 9mm. Is it worth it yet?
    It sure is now!!! I reload a box of 50 for right about $5.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Well, you gotta figure out whether its worth your time to even reload this caliber at all.

If I can save $20 an hour on ammunition by reloading, or I could do contract work for that hour at $75, then it is not worth for me to reload. Since I'd be losing $50 in the process.
    You have to ask yourself if you would actually do contract work in that hour or sit down and watch TV or do something else that you're not getting paid to do. If you would do work for $75 per hour, then reloading may not save you much money... unless you buy a progressive and can save yourself $70 to $80 per hour or more.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    In the past, many said that reloading 9mm wasn't worth it because it wasn't cost effective. For the cost of materials, time, and trouble, it was cheaper to just buy rather than reload.

Now that ammo prices are on the rise, I was wondering if all you reloaders out there have reconsidered reloading 9mm. Is it worth it yet?

You also have to consider if you enjoy loading your own ammunition. Would I pay someone to dig a trench for me if I had my own shovel?
    Yes, I would. I would not want to do that for a living no matter how much it paid.

For reloading? Yes. I like to do it and get great satisfaction about understanding and accomplishing the technical and mechanical tasks of that function. Does it really save money? Absolutely not. You never save money.

Because you just buy more bullets, powder, primers, brass, reloading accessories, etc. And then more guns "because I have plenty of ammo for that caliber!"
    If you don't get the "warm and fuzzies" from looking at a new pile of ammo you just created then you should probably not reload. People who do it just for saving money will not enjoy it. Just my opinion.....
    Last edited by smitty56; January 8th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Wow. This thread was really drudged up from the past.

It sure is now!!! I reload a box of 50 for right about $5.

You have to ask yourself if you would actually do contract work in that hour or sit down and watch TV or do something else that you're not getting paid to do. If you would do work for $75 per hour, then reloading may not save you much money... unless you buy a progressive and can save yourself $70 to $80 per hour or more.
    Would you guys might posting some details. What you are buying and where? I guess fmj might be cheaper but the other day I was looking around and hydra shocks were $23/100 plus shipping I'd assume. I wouldn't mind getting into this but some input from those who do it would be great.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast