Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Thinking About Challenging Police Check

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    That person (a paid sheriff's deputy) is already processing your paperwork and making the PICS call as you wait. What happens then if he calls your local PD and no one is available to look you up. Do you sit and wait? Go home and wait for the deputy to play phone tag with the PD?

This hardly seems efficient.
    Involving the local PD is hardly efficient at all, no matter how it is done.

It's also pointless unless the Sheriff is looking to subvert the concept of 'innocent until proven guilty' and deny rights to those who've commited no prohibiting offenses.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    That person (a paid sheriff's deputy) is already processing your paperwork and making the PICS call as you wait. What happens then if he calls your local PD and no one is available to look you up. Do you sit and wait? Go home and wait for the deputy to play phone tag with the PD?

This hardly seems efficient.
    Isn't that exactly what happens when you're trying to do it yourself? Or are you saying the local PD is more likely to respond hastily to the request of a random citizen than to a phone call from their county Sheriff's department? Needless to say, the required involvement of a local PD is an additional pointless requirement and should be excluded as a duty of the applicant or the Sheriff.

If the police check card is so necessary and so efficient and so legal... why is Montgomery the only county in PA (I believe) that uses it?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Isn't that exactly what happens when you're trying to do it yourself? Or are you saying the local PD is more likely to respond hastily to the request of a random citizen than to a phone call from their county Sheriff's department? Needless to say, the required involvement of a local PD is an additional pointless requirement and should be excluded as a duty of the applicant or the Sheriff.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    If the police check card is so necessary and so efficient and so legal... why is Montgomery the only county in PA (I believe) that uses it?
    I have another thread in this Montco forum where I was asking about peoples' experience with the Abington PD and getting their card filled out. I just updated it so you can check it out for more info but the short of it is I've been waiting a week and a half and it's still not available for me to pick up. You might be able to get the license right away when you finally bring the card to the Sheriff's office but you should have to wait that long for your local PD to get it back to you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234