Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Is this a good deal for a 686?

Hello all. I am a very cautious gun buyer as I don't have a lot of extra cash. I've wanted a s&w 357 revolver for quite some time now. I'm also new to the world of revolvers. I have the chance to pick up a six inch 686 for $545. It has aftermarket wood grips and a very faint turn line. It is being advertized as like new. Is that a great deal or just a good deal or really no deal at all? Any info from you knowledgeable folks would be great. Thanks a lot.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Is this a good deal for a 686?

686-what? Does it have the lock? If it is a pre-lock then I would certainly buy it if you're looking for a six inch. If it has the lock then I wouldn't call this a killer deal but i would say it is certainly fair in your favor.

(Luzerne County)

That's a good deal for a 686 as long as it is in good shooting shape. I also question the 6 inch. I personally favor the 4 inch.

Now days that sounds like a good deal for a 686. But I bought mines used but in 98% new condition for $289 many years ago before the internal locks and badgor punta and sold back. Its still a great 357 magnum yours will be for you also. 686 are some of the better guns in its class. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    Hello all. I am a very cautious gun buyer as I don't have a lot of extra cash. I've wanted a s&w 357 revolver for quite some time now. I'm also new to the world of revolvers. I have the chance to pick up a six inch 686 for $545. It has aftermarket wood grips and a very faint turn line. It is being advertized as like new. Is that a great deal or just a good deal or really no deal at all? Any info from you knowledgeable folks would be great. Thanks a lot.
    Can you tell anything else about the condition?

My initial response is that it's a good deal, provided it's in very good condition.

(Montgomery County)

The turn line meand nothing for a shooter grade revolver. More important is the mechanical condition of the piece. Is the timing good? How is the barrel/cylinder gap? Is the ejector rod straight? Is there corrosion under the grips? Did someone fiddle (file/saw/cut) with the strain screw? And most importantly, what are you willing to pay for it?

Get over to youtube, midwayusa has a great video on how to inspect a Smith and Wesson revolver when buying a previously enjoyed firearm.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks all for helping me out. I went back to the shop and bought it. It is a 686 no dash and, in my humble estimation, it is in like-new shape. I can't wait to try it out. This is my first double action revolver.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    Thanks all for helping me out. I went back to the shop and bought it. It is a 686 no dash and, in my humble estimation, it is in like-new shape. I can't wait to try it out. This is my first double action revolver.
    If it is a no dash, check for an "M" stamp near the model number on the frame. If the revolver does not have it that means it is missing a factory modification that was done as sort of a recall. You can call Smith and Wesson customer service toll free and they will likely do the upgrade for free and pay the shipping costs. It is something well worth your time.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

That's a great price for a no dash 686. Because you can see the turn line, I wouldn't be surprised if the revolver's got a lot more rounds through it than you think, but even if it does, it doesn't matter. Still a great gun that's going to work well for a long time.

You should pick up some mothers mag polish and go to town on it. Theynlook great after some polishing.

Also, if your gun doesnt have the m stamp, you can send it back, but as long as its working, you really don't need to. Totally up to you.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.