Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Advice

(Lehigh County)

Question Pistol Advice

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a target shooting pistol with the possibility of some light competition (long term I want to get a 1911 .45 for competition but don't have the money to spend or feed it) and would love to hear your advice. I have max $5/600 to spend and I am looking for the following:

What I'm Looking for
    • New or Used
    • Full size 9mm (ammo is cheaper then .45)
    • Easy to disassemble and clean
    • 100% covered on all parts by manufacture (I've been told Glock doesn't cover everything on their .40 cal, unsure if this carries for other calibers/manufactures)
    • Reliable, accurate, durable, etc

Possible influential factors
    • If possible I would like to have the option for competition but this is not required. I don't know if they have 9mm comp, please chime in if you know there is off hand. I have to research this.
    • I have big hands so I may want to change the grip, so far I haven't shot enough for this to become an issue.
    • I don't have a preference for a particular brand but do not want anything made by Taurus.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Pistol Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Signal.0 View Post
    Hello All,

I'm in the market for a target shooting pistol with the possibility of some light competition (long term I want to get a 1911 .45 for competition but don't have the money to spend or feed it) and would love to hear your advice. I have max $5/600 to spend and I am looking for the following:

What I'm Looking for
    • New or Used
    • Full size 9mm (ammo is cheaper then .45)
    • Easy to disassemble and clean
    • 100% covered on all parts by manufacture (I've been told Glock doesn't cover everything on their .40 cal, unsure if this carries for other calibers/manufactures)
    • Reliable, accurate, durable, etc

Possible influential factors
    • If possible I would like to have the option for competition but this is not required. I don't know if they have 9mm comp, please chime in if you know there is off hand. I have to research this.
    • I have big hands so I may want to change the grip, so far I haven't shot enough for this to become an issue.
    • I don't have a preference for a particular brand but do not want anything made by Taurus.
    I think you'll find everyone is going to give you advice based on their personal preference. In my opinion your best bet is to go into a shop and handle some of the firearms you have in mind. I have a Springfield XD Service model(4" barrel), but I recently had the opportunity to shoot a Glock 19. Even though my XD is a .40 and the Glock was a 9mm, I still preferred the feel of the Glock and will probably end up buying one in the near future because I liked it so much.

Also, there are a lot of other things that you leave open ended. Some people will only own DA/SA hammer fired pistols because they like the idea that they can keep pulling the trigger if a round doesn't go off on the first try. You can't do that with a striker fired gun. Additionally, some prefer to have external manual safeties, I personally do not.

I think you'll find good offerings in your price range from Glock, Springfield, S&W, Beretta, Ruger, and I'm sure I'm leaving out some other good manufacturers.

Hopefully that gave you some things to think about on what you're looking for.

(Montgomery County)

I think the Walther PPQ covers all of your needs and wants... And can be purchased brand new for <$600... If you do end up competing with it, it has one sweet trigger.

But, as 99% of guys on here will tell you, be sure to go to a gun shop and handle as many options as possible.

Good luck!

(Lehigh County)

sgtmcbowflex,

Thanks for pointing out the DA/SA hammer I was unaware of that option, I was taught to pull the slide back to reload the next round if a misfire ever happens. As far as the safety, I like the safety that is built into the trigger, besides my finger....

I have shot a few different guns but am leaning purely on aesthetics which is why I was trying to gather a consensus. I understand users opinion maybe bias, but not as bias as a gunshop who is trying to sell you something.
    Thanks for the help.

ah0873,

Ill be heading to more shops this week, thx!

How about a SIG SP2022 9mm? I think I've seen pricing here around $400.

There is the SP2022 TB which has a threaded barrel and night sights. I saw one in Maryland for $540.

I didn't look up the warranty info.

(Allegheny County)

You can get an STI Spartan 9mm 1911 for just a bit over your price point. I got one for ESP class at IDPA matches and it has been 100% reliable in over 1000 rounds. A bonus is that any holsters, mag carriers, etc would work for you when you get your .45 (BTW, STI makes a Spartan .45 also). From what I hear, STI's customer service is top shelf....
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal.0 View Post
    Hello All,

(long term I want to get a 1911 .45 for competition but don't have the money to spend or feed it) and would love to hear your advice.
    You want to spend 5 or 6 hundred now, and then later get a 1911, but you don't have the coin to get the 1911 now.

I'd look at a Sig or a SA Loaded 1911, tune the trigger for target shooting, and don't look back. Unless you shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds, the difference in ammo cost will not beat you up. 100 rds of 45 is only about $10 on average more than 100 rds or 9mm. As long as you don't flinch when you shoot, you'll make the most of your ammo and reduce the cost even more.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

A lightly used or CPO SIG P226 9mm meets all of your requirements and would likely feel comfortable in those big paws. With only a few inexpensive tweaks you can make the good SA pull VERY nice. If you handle a P226 and like it, you're more than welcome to shoot mine sometime. Mark at Summit Gun Broker is an excellent source for new, used, and CPO SIG's if you decide to go that direction.

(Lehigh County)

go to a range that rents pistols and find one that's right for you. taking advice from others is somewhat helpful, but what one person likes, you may not. i am in the lehigh valley, go to guthsville range to shoot. if you are a member there, i would be glad to meet up and i have a few pistols you can try. i have a glock 17 and 21, sa loaded 1911, s&w .40cal among others.
    try before you buy!

(Lehigh County)

Bib,
    The Spartan differently looks nice, I'm going to mark that one down.

300WM,
    duly noted. From what I have been able to gather there is about a 5-8 dollar differences for 50 or 10-16 for 100, so your spot on. At the moment yes I plan to practice a lot, it was suggested by a gun smith to go 9mm b/c in the long run there cheaper to feed. However provided I can find 9mm competition then I won't need a for .45, again told by a gun smith most competitions are .45

BionicMan,
    ill look in to it thx.

tonyfac,
    I have already tried a few, glock, s&w, beretta, kimber. I got to the firing lane at the moment, trying out a bunch there. Haven't been to guthsville range yet but we could meet up there one day.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast