Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Ruger SR1911: How Much is Too Much?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll

9 16.36%

14 25.45%

14 25.45%

18 32.73%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger SR1911 Pricing

If I find one for under $750 then I'm a buyer for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    Like LifeInPA says... if it's worth it to you, who cares? That being said, I could pick one up at Gander Mountain right now for $750 plus taxes & fees. That probably puts it at over $800 out the door. I want one. But right now, that $800 is too much.
    I should note, that I would not buy from Gander Mountain... I know I can generally knock at least $100 off any price they have for any gun by buying online or through other means.

I sent Ruger an email a month ago inquiring about the SR1911 and they told me that they are producing as many as they can per day... anecdotally, I've heard they make 32 a day...!

(Bucks County)

I sent Ruger an email a month ago inquiring about the SR1911 and they told me that they are producing as many as they can per day... anecdotally, I've heard they make 32 a day...!
    One of my LGS's has around 50 ordered...
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Indiana County)

I guess I couldn't feel bad about ripping a guy off if he knew he was getting ripped.
    A $750 price tag is approaching a 40% markup.

There is nothing special about these things, they are cast frames and that is a low cost way to make a 1911, just like the Armscor/Rock Island 1911's.

I just can't see why one would pay $750 or more for a cast gun when there are forged models out there in that price range.

Must be a subconscious thing that one thinks just because it is scarce, it must be worth more that it's real value.
    It's a 1911 copy and there are tons of them out there made by other makers, it's made using a low cost production method that is susceptible to casting flaws yet it's still worth as much as a used Kimber or Colt, new R1 or Springfield?

I have to give credit to Ruger, they really know how to market and the dealers really know how to separate some guys from their money.

(Indiana County)

I should note, that I would not buy from Gander Mountain... I know I can generally knock at least $100 off any price they have for any gun by buying online or through other means.

Probably because all the ones with casting flaws go into the recycle bin, leaving only a few frames a day to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    There is nothing special about these things, they are cast frames and that is a low cost way to make a 1911, just like the Armscor/Rock Island 1911's.
    Couldn't agree more. I keep telling my son this, but he is bound and determined. He is a person who is billboard concience and because he has a Redhawk, he has to have the SR. I wanted one in the beginning, but like anything else, the feeling has passed away.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I keep telling my son this, but he is bound and determined. He is a person who is billboard concience and because he has a Redhawk, he has to have the SR. I wanted one in the beginning, but like anything else, the feeling has passed away.
    The day the 10/22 takedown came out, a buddy called me just ranting that he had to get one.

I told him to give me a day and to let me get him a price from the gunsmith I work with.

He just had to have one that first day, ended up using buy it now on Gunbroker for $349 plus $25 shipping plus $20 dealer fee plus the $2 PICS.
    $396 total

Two days later, while his was already in transit via UPS, my local place had them on the rack for $309.
    $329.54 OTD

And yes, I did call him to rub it in.

Some guys just have to have something shiny when they see it, it's like they are hypnotized and once they get on that mission to seek out the shiny object, logic is pushed aside.

I can't see paying a 40% markup on an item when they are selling for far less elsewhere.
    These will be the guys that bitch and moan later when they decide to sell or trade it and they are offered $400.

GUY selling: "But, But ..I paid $800!!!!"
    Dealer: "Yea, they are $550 cost for a new one"
    GUY selling: "But, But.. I paid $800!!!"
    Dealer: "Yea, sorry about your luck, you want the $400 or not?"

Guy selling later on to his buddies: "That guy is a crook, asswipe tried ripping me off saying my beautiful shiny once hard to get SR1911 is only worth $400"

I see that all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post

456 - I think it's the way Ruger does it I have the SR1911 and a Custom Sam/Armsco the Sam has checkering back and front almost everything custom on it except for extended mag well. It's two toned really nice until placed along side the Ruger SR1911 the Ruger simply out classes the Custom Sam with looks and beauty. The Sam has a ridge running down the top of the slide (now you could hang a aim point from it, I might do that I don't know) but it does (to me) take away some beauty. Made in the USA does mean something if this is an example. Now I like the Custom Sam for what it is only cost me $400 previous owner did a good job dressing it out trigger/barrel/sights and it shoots as good as any of my 1911s.

I won't sale the Sam and certainly not the SR1911 for $400.
    Last edited by Neko456; April 6th, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

(Carbon County)

i was told today from the gunshop, and i dont know if its true, that ruger is not shipping any more handguns this year. whatever is in the pipeline is it until they catch up. he said all the wholesalers know this now so be prepared to pay top dollar

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    i was told today from the gunshop, and i dont know if its true, that ruger is not shipping any more handguns this year. whatever is in the pipeline is it until they catch up. he said all the wholesalers know this now so be prepared to pay top dollar
    OK, so this has been my question all alone, why pay top dollar for a gun from a company that cannot produce enough product to keep money in their customers wallets when there are other perfectly good alternatives out there?

I would never pay a 20% premium for a product simply because the company cannot figure out how to manufacture them and I will not pay a 20% premium to a dealer that feels gouging is an acceptable business practice.

If these were all over the place, the street price would be $629.

Just because Ruger cannot get Bill Rugers antiquated manufacturing vs. supply theory out of their heads is no reason for me to pay extra for their incompetence.

If a tire shop took 3 days to mount four tires on your car, would you pay them a 20% premium for the wait and hassle?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast