Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default How Many People Reload And Why?

Just curious how many of you reload your own ammo and why?

Load for everything I have (except rimfire) manly for the accuracy, a little for the cost, but mostly I just enjoy sitting back and loading up a thousand rounds.

I have done some testing to compare factory ammo to reloads and I must say my reloads are much more consistent than factory ammo. For example a box of factory UMC 45acp 230gr FMJ would shoot between 840 to 900fps. Where as reloads with 230gr FMJ would be 820 to 830fps. These were loaded on the light side, but I have had simular results with all my loads.

Costs me around $4 to $5 to load a box of 45's and with my current press I can load several hundred rounds an hour.

I just haven't seen any threads about reloading and like to know what you all think.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: How Many People Reload And Why?

I haven't gotten into reloading yet, but was wondering about how much it would cost (ballpark) upfront to get started. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

(Cumberland County)

That depends on how involved you want to get. You have to decide if you want a progressive or single stage loader (recomend progressive for pistol). Lee Load Master (progressive loader) cost around $300-350 new (ebay $200-275) and you can get them already setup in a caliber of your choice. You will still need to purchase loading supplies, and the tools of the trade (ie powder scale, bullet puller, measuring tools). The biggest thing I have noticed about reloading is you don't want to reload when there are alot of distractions around, one mistake and you can get a surprise out at the range.

Let me know what you are interested loading and I can give you better idea of what it will cost.

I have a Lee 1000 for each cal. I shoot alot of. They are inexpensive, about $125 ready to go.
    I reload to cut down my ammo expenses. Last check was $2.75/50rd for 9mm. Gotta buy your
    bullets in bulk to get better prices.

(Luzerne County)

I reload for just about all the reasons you have mentioned above. I have a Dillon 550 progressive that is about 15-18 years old and really haven't had any problems with it until recently that was primer drawback but I found out that was due to the CCI primers. Problem now solved.

I reload, have been a reloader for the past 35 years. I think we, all, get into reloading to save money; but, few of us stay there for the same reason. Reloading becomes a very pleasant hobby; I've always found it to be relaxing; and, it seems to free me up from, 'the cares of the world'.

(I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.)

I started out on an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press. Still have it; RCBS was good enough to completely rebuild it for me several years ago. It's a heavier built press than the Rockchuckers I see in the stores today - Much heavier! I use it for all of my highly precise ammo building. (rifle and carry ammo)

The rest of the time I build all of my practice ammo on a Dillon XL-650. Reloading remains a very satisfying hobby for me; sometimes, I think I just go to the range in order to create more brass for my other (real) pastime.

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    ... haven't had any problems with it until recently that was primer drawback but I found out that was due to the CCI primers. Problem now solved.
    That's impossible!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    I reload for just about all the reasons you have mentioned above. I have a Dillon 550 progressive that is about 15-18 years old and really haven't had any problems with it until recently that was primer drawback but I found out that was due to the CCI primers. Problem now solved.
    My dad reloads with a 550b, I use a Lee Load Master. Both presses have their pro's and con's. I choose the Lee partly for the auto index and it is a 5 station press.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
    I reload, have been a reloader for the past 35 years. I think we, all, get into reloading to save money; but, few of us stay there for the same reason. Reloading becomes a very pleasant hobby; I've always found it to be relaxing; and, it seems to free me up from, 'the cares of the world'.

(I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.)

I have to agree with you. I even find myself looking for new guns just so I will something new to reload.

(Union County)

When I started reloading in the mid 1960, the reason then was you could get better results in many calibers with reloads. The factory didn't have as many different loadings in each caliber and projectile types as we have today.

Today I reload because of the expense of factory loads in some calibers:
    I don't brother with reloading the 9mm & 40 S&W because by buying these in bulk I can get them for close to my reloading cost.

Since I shot mainly big bore, to shoot as much as I do I have to reload. The factory price:

Pistol:
    500 Mag is usually in the range of $30 to $35.00 for 12 shots.
    454 Casull is usually in the high $20's for 20 shots
    50AE is the same as the .454 Casull.

Rifle:
    .416 Rigby is usually around $150 for 20 (Bearclaws)
    .378-30 Weatherby is around $90.00 for 20

So to shoot the big bores in my opinion you have to reload.

I don't use lead projectiles in any of my reloads so I cann't match the price some will give for their reloads. I reload either hard cast or jacketed.

grizz

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast