Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taking $0.02 Donations for Shotgun Slings

After a hiatus I'm getting back into scatterguns, and would like to start using a sling with my 870 clone. Looking for advice on what works, what to stay away from, and what looks like it shouldn't work but is actually pretty decent.

Intended use is "all around", with focus on home defense. Would be nice if it could serve in SHTF capacity, but that's secondary. Budget is unlimited, because if store-bought is too expensive, I can sew my own no problem.

I like the idea of a single point for it's speed, but I'm skeptical about trying to move around a lot with a loaded down shotgun (18 rounds in/on the gun plus light).

A three point sling would handle the weight better, but then I'm worried about the strap getting in the way of the pump and mucking things up, and also the speed and ease of getting into the sling in the dark at 4am.

A two point would be the fall back, but since my home defense is most likely going to be taking place in cramped quarters, transitioning in reasonable time is out of the question.

Help?

Default Re: Taking $0.02 Donations for Shotgun Slings

125 views and no one has a sling on their shotgun?

(Lancaster County)

HD shotgun is on my list. May I suggest a lengh of clothesline? lol and j/k I'm sure folks will be along soon enough with input and my only experience is with a two point.

(Westmoreland County)

Ok my .02 is this... Keep it simple for HD. A no-frills, lightweight sling that mounts to the buttstock and the magazine cap will serve you well. I would also suggest steering clear of slings with shell holders built in... I know from experience.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    HD shotgun is on my list. May I suggest a lengh of clothesline? lol and j/k I'm sure folks will be along soon enough with input and my only experience is with a two point.
    I know you're kidding but if you said paracord instead of clothesline people would have thought you were serious.

OP, I second simple 2 point like Mitch suggested. There probably are some nice 2 point "tactical" slings available like for AR's. That would probably fill all of your needs.

(Lehigh County)

I just got one, it's an allen model #8251. A 1" web, simple sweet and to
    the point
    About 8 bucks. Swivels not included.

Loud and clear on the slings with shell holders. Buddy had one years ago on a Mossberg 590, looked cool until he fired at the range and 1/3 of the shells went flying.

On the paracord/clothes line, I'm actually using it to play with different sling mounting points to come up with something that's easy like a single point, but can handle the weight better.

(Beaver County)

I use Outdoor Connection A TAC single points on my M4 and three of my shotguns and the other doesn't have a sling at all. I don't leave my slings on the guns while they're in the safe and I wouldn't suggest leaving a sling on a shotgun you use for HD. Just another part that serves no purpose in that situation and will get in the way. I don't like two points unless the shotgun or rifle is your backup weapon. I've always got a sidearm so I run my primary weapon on a single point.

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    I use Outdoor Connection A TAC single points on my M4 and three of my shotguns...
    How do you have the sling attached on the shotguns, and how does the elastic on the A TAC handle the weight? Chances are I'll be in my skivvies when it needs to be used, and if it's too uncomfortable, I might end up grabbing a pistol instead of the long gun to check a bump in the night, kinda defeating the purpose of the thing.

As far as needing a sling at all, half of this is to experiment with techniques for general-use shotgunning, and the other half is to have a way to take both hands off the shotgun without having to put it down and be separated. Lots of scenarios to go hands-free in HD, so I think it's valid.

(Lancaster County)

Whatever you decide on, or those with slings, how about pictures?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast