Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Any info or tips on Police Check Card in Abington?

I've read some of the other threads about Montco and Upper Moreland PD but I'm looking for anyone with any information or tips specifically for the Abington PD. I also know that we shouldn't have to do this but that's a topic for a different thread.

Some posts in the other threads mention a week or two weeks as the time to get the check card back but some of those posts are a few years old. Can anyone else that's had to get one from Abington tell me how long it took to get it? Are there any specific hours that they are "open" for me to bring it to them? For example on weekdays I could pretty much only get there after 6:00 PM. Other than that it would have to be a Saturday.

I'm a little put off by hearing that it could take weeks. I guess I figured it was something that could/should be done right during that visit.

I'm also thinking about applying for a C&R FFL license from the ATF and you're supposed to give a copy of the application to the local PD so I figured I'd do them both at the same time. Anyone have any info regarding that?

I personally know my local Ward's commisioner so I'm wondering if it takes an inordinate amount of time he might be able to make a phone call.
    Last edited by carrguy1; April 24th, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling of Abington in thread title.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Any info or tips on Police Check Card in Abignton?

I think the only and fastest way to find out how long it will take to get your card filled out given the work load of the department at this exact moment is to fill out the card and drop it off at the Abington Police Station. When you do, ask them how long it will take. That way you can schedule when to take a few hours off from work to go to the courthouse.

When I took mine in (to a different town), they told me 5 business days. I picked it up 5 days later and found it had been signed on the second day. 5 day is not how long it takes, it is how long they give themselves to get around to it. I venture to guess that filling these forms out is not a huge priority for any PD and they complete them as time allows.

One thing I know for sure is that the longer you put it off the longer it will take.

(Montgomery County)

All good points.

I guess one of the things I was more curious about is if there are times when it is considered ok or not ok to actually go to the PD. Like are Saturdays ok, are weekdays evenings ok? I guess I'm so programmed that things in general need to be done during "business hours" I'm wondering if police stations have "business hours" or are they just open all the time?

I'd call them directly to find out but I can't really use the phone at work and by the time I'd have a chance after work it'd be late. I think I'd feel weird calling a police station at 9:00 or 10:00 PM to ask about carrying a gun.

Once I go I guess it will take however long it will take them.

(Montgomery County)

Check the township website and see if there is an email address for the police that you can send a question to if you want. Or phone them on a weekend. They work 24x7.

Some people seem to make it seem like the local police check card is some horrendous process. For me and those I personally know, it was anything but. Print off the form from the Sheriff's web site, fill it out, drop it off at the PD, they photocopy you drivers license and then you stop back in a few days.

(Montgomery County)

I stopped by the Abington PD this evening after work. I didnt realize they share the township building. A tip to anyone unfamiliar, even though the address is for York rd. the lot is on the side street between Highland and York and is across from the hospital. Hours on the door for PD were open 24 hours. The building was almost deserted because the other offices were closed for good Friday. The PD office had hours posted I believe until 8 PM on weekdays and I think 8-4 on Saturday but the main office was closed with a sign directing me to the night office around the corner. Rang the bell, told them what I was there for. A young guy came out. I handed him the paper. He said everything looked good on it. I asked how long it would take to get it back. He said usually about two weeks. I asked if they'd call me or if I should call them. He said to call if I don't hear after two weeks.

He was pleasant and not dismissive at all but I will say I'm disappointed to hear it will take two weeks. It is what it is I suppose so we'll see what happens. I'll post back when I do get it to let you know how long it does take or how the rest of the experience goes.

(Montgomery County)

They told me two weeks too. I just waited the two weeks and then went back to the office to see if it was ready. It was, and was dated something like two days after I dropped it off. So if you happen to have time to stop by the office even before the two weeks is over it's worth a try.

(Delaware County)

Why are you getting and filling out a police check card?

You are under no legal obligation to do that. Your Sheriff is breaking the law in forcing you to as well.

I want everyone that passes through this thread to know

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILL OUT POLICE CHECK CARDS. Stand up to your Sheriff and ensure he follows state law

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Why are you getting and filling out a police check card?

You are under no legal obligation to do that. Your Sheriff is breaking the law in forcing you to as well.

I want everyone that passes through this thread to know

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILL OUT POLICE CHECK CARDS. Stand up to your Sheriff and ensure he follows state law

Yeah, what he said.

(Montgomery County)

Why is it that the people that complain about the Police Check Card in Montgomery County live outside Montgomery County?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Why is it that the people that complain about the Police Check Card in Montgomery County live outside Montgomery County?
    The better question is, why do the people of montgomery county put up with the sheriff breaking the law? If you guys were to get together and start giving them shit about it, maybe things would change.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast