Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Any info or tips on Police Check Card in Abignton?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    In a county that actually follows the law, you don't need to run to your local PD to get anything signed, they process it while you're there, in and out in under 15 minutes if you don't have your paper work filled. It's one stop at the court house.
    They can make you wait up to 45 days if they wanted to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Why is it that the people that complain about the Police Check Card in Montgomery County live outside Montgomery County?
    Cause you guys need a boot in the ass (aka "motivation")

The Sheriff has addressed the issue to my satisfaction, she considers it part of the investigation into the applicant. I will vote to re-elect her when she is up again.
    What a shame... lol congrats on being part of the problem
    Quote Originally Posted by k9loki View Post
    Because without it , you will not get your LTCF . If you are so hell bent on making a big deal over it , by all means , YOU go down to the Sheriffs Office and stand up to the Sheriff and ensure SHE follows "state law" .
    MY Sheriff doesn't require it. When MY Sheriff tried to overcharge me, force me to perform tasks not required by the UFA or otherwise try to intimidate me... I did stand up for myself and "won" my battles.

(Lancaster County)

So could Montco, but they don't. The point is they're making you do work that isn't required. It's their job to conduct the investigation, not yours.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

which is legal

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Why are you getting and filling out a police check card?

You are under no legal obligation to do that. Your Sheriff is breaking the law in forcing you to as well.

I want everyone that passes through this thread to know

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILL OUT POLICE CHECK CARDS. Stand up to your Sheriff and ensure he follows state law
    The better question is, why do the people of montgomery county put up with the sheriff breaking the law? If you guys were to get together and start giving them shit about it, maybe things would change.
    Let's not mention the fact that there's at least one lawyer looking for a plaintiff for this issue. The it's "part of the investigation" argument simply doesn't work, for a variety of reasons that I've gone into before both on here and in conversations elsewhere.

I chalk it up to this, "all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

I mean, who cares about the law? Really, who cares? I'm sure this form provides valuable insight into applicants that the regular background check does not, right? Wait, that's not right, because it's a redundant check that wastes both time and money and only serves to subvert the concept of "innocent until proven guilty" to try and dig up non-conviction information for use under the character clause.

I'll mention again the fact that there's a lawyer looking for a plaintiff on this issue, preferably from a township that is now charging for this "check card" nonsense.

(Montgomery County)

Isn't it her job to conduct the investigation, not yours? Why should you have to waste your time and gas driving around getting a check card, when she could just make a phone call to your local PD and get the same information that she just made you get?
    I am more than willing to help and the police station is in a very convenient location. It speeds up the process considerably. They would have to hire a lot of extra staff to make all those calls.

Don't forget that Montgomery county is the third largest in the state, behind Philadelphia and Allegheny. I think the LTCF process is far more efficient in Montco than in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. Much faster than Delaware, Chester counties. I really don't know about Bucks, Berks, Lancaster, Lehigh or Indiana.

(Montgomery County)

Maybe BimmerJon, Streaker69 and IronSIght could all move to Montco, establish residency and become lead plaintiffs in a class action suit.

(Delaware County)

Maybe BimmerJon, Streaker69 and IronSIght could all move to Montco, establish residency and become lead plaintiffs in a class action suit.

We'll support you 100% with info, presence and hell even money if you need it, but a resident needs to lead the charge.

If my Sheriff was doing this in my county, I would.

The least you could do is TRY. It's FREE to call a meeting with the Sheriff and tell them you refuse to process a police check card because you're under no obligation to.
    Try that yet? That's free

But why even pretend that you care? You're on the wrong side. You AGREE with your Sheriff breaking the law and will go even as far as to re-elect them. You're part of the problem

The Sheriff has addressed the issue to my satisfaction, she considers it part of the investigation into the applicant. I will vote to re-elect her when she is up again.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; April 10th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

(Bucks County)

Why would they want to do that when people in Montco could care less about following the law.

Hope you get kissed by the Sheriff.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post

The least you could do is TRY. It's FREE to call a meeting with the Sheriff and tell them you refuse to process a police check card because you're under no obligation to.
    Try that yet? That's free
    I did not bother because I wanted my LTCF and actually I really like the idea of having the local cops having a say in it.

Someone from this very forum did contact the Sheriff recently and had an email conversation with her. Out of respect for the PAFOA forum member that did this work, I will not cut and paste it into this thread. It is in an active thread on the Montgomery county board so you should be able to find it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast