Yes that is his little game. If he never accepts it, he never has to deny it. So you can not appeal. The only way I see to deal with the sheriff would be get an injunction for him to accept it. At least the Sheriff in Montco only delays the permit the number of days legally allowed. The easier solution would be to run for Sheriff and change the rules. OP remember the nail that sticks out gets hammered harder.

My Post My Opinion IANAL