Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clarion County)

Default Lead hardness testing

As an amateur caster I became interested in testing the hardness of alloys and scrap products I've scrounged. The topic also seems to come up every so often discussing cast bullets. The method I use is easy and most importantly inexpensive. Results are accurate enough for my needs. A set of artists pencils from a local chain store comes with pencils ranging from 6B to 4H. Taking a sharpened pencil and holding it at about 40-45 degrees I find find the softest one that will cut into the surface. Approximately 6B=5BHN or pure pb, 3B=10BHN or 20-1, HB=15BHN or lyman2, H=20BHN close to lino. Estimates can be made from the results.

Here is a sample that came out as almost pure lead. There is a dark streak at the bottom of the pic that 8B, softer than pb, wouldn't scratch. Credit must be given here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75455 where I originally read about it.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Lead hardness testing

Good post I must have missed that one over there, I think some guys do obsess too much about BHN. For years if I could scratch it with a thumbnail it went into Muzzleloader bullets or I would add a harder alloy for pistol. Most times the barrel and shot placement will tell you if you are too soft or too hard for the load Alloy. Having said that I own a lead hardness tester, I bought the Saeco about ten years ago, the guys on cast bullet cut it down but it work well enough for my needs. I cast all my own rifle and pistol bullets, but because of loading practices from one cast/loader to another, I have found a BHN that may work very well for one guy might need tweaking in my loads. Still good post, you can buy a truck load of pencils for the price of a good tester.

(Westmoreland County)

I agree with Hornady good post ,It beats the heck out of my ultra scientific method of just dropping the ingot onto the basement floor if it rings its hard ,if it just goes thud its soft! Most of the time they just get mixed 1:1 anyways except for my hunting bullets which I use known wheel weight and pure soft ingots for a 50/50 mix and then air cool them. And your right alot of folks make a big deal over hardness maybe for their application its crucial ? but for me I have had better accuracy in my rifle loads with softer alloys .

Have you considered a Lee hardness tester?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/731...ss-testing-kit

If you don't have a reloading press, this will also work with a handpress.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Have you considered a Lee hardness tester?
    Thanks, yes, and I've seen some good reviews for the Lee tester. For my needs though I'll stick with the pencils. Found them to be accurate, cost effective, and very easy to use.
    Last edited by cephas; April 6th, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

cephas, very interesting testing procedure. I have the Lee tester myself.

Good find on the link over at castboolits, every time I visit over there It seems like I am reading for the rest of the day.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer