Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default School me on entry level 1911s

Okay, so I already own a 1911, a Springfield Mil Spec to be exact. I friend of mine mentioned wanting a 1911 recently. He says his limit is $700.

I reccomended to him of course, the Mil Spec, as it is just under that price. But considering the 1911's in the price range, what are the pros and cons so I can better help my friend out. Also, what other manufactuers are out there besides the ones I suggested he look into.

1: Springfield Mil-Spec
    2: Ruger SR1911
    3: Remington R1
    4: Rock Island
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Blair County)

Default Re: School me on entry level 1911s

The Ruger is crazy difficult to actually find. If he finds one at a price he agrees with, it's a good choice.

The Remington has made a pretty good name for itself, and it's an American company.

The Mil-Spec is a good one as well, as you know personally. Any reason you didn't recommend him a GI model?

Rock Island (and the other Phillipine companies) are excellent 1911s at barrel-bottom prices. Finish might not be quite up to par with more expensive competition, but they cost hundreds less. Fit is good and reliability is also top-notch. For a service weapon that you wouldn't be afraid to shoot and abuse, they are great choices.

Others to consider:

Taurus PT1911. Blued model runs $550, stainless about a hundred more. Comes with tons of extras compared to more basic models, and most reviews are very favorable. Early models were problematic, but this seems to have been remedied. Now the only recurring issues is the ambi safeties coming loose, which is an easy fix.

The used market opens up his options considerably. He should be able to find Springfield Loadeds within that budget, which is an awesome gun. The Range Officer would be another good gun to check out if he finds one used. Sig makes some great 1911s that could come under $700 used as well.

There are very good choices for someone looking to spend $700. Another $100-200 broadens the horizons exponentially though, since $700 seems to be an awkward spot in the prices-- most everything is a basic GI 1911 copy in that market, where a little extra buys you a lot of options.

Thanks a lot. I forgot the Taurus, I knew I was forgetting one. Like you said, the used market opens up his options and I told him lightly used will save him money by avoiding a break in period anyway, but I think he might just want new.

The reason I did not recommend the GI model is apparently they are becoming harder to find. I think Springfield may have discontinued it.
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Lackawanna County)

I have the GI model in stainless steel. Yes, they have been discontinued, which is a shame. Mine has been 100% flawless.

My boyfriend bought the Taurus when they were first released, and still carries it daily. He's never had any problems wih it except for his front sight being knocked out of alignment.

I also had a Metro Arms/Firestorm 1911, which was a great gun, and I bought it used for about $300. I sold it to a friend a few months back. It comes with Novak sights, a Commander style hammer, extended beaver tail grip, flat mainspring housing, rear and front serrations on the slide, and and extended safety. The gun had some issues which turned out to be mag related. Once I stopped using the mag it came with (a Novak I think), and switched to Mecgars, I was 100% reliable.

(Luzerne County)

Fwiw, the STI spartan should be found at the upper end of that price limit. I have no first hand experience, but apparently they start with an Armscor slide and frame and use their internal parts...which should make a very nice pistol for the money.

If you are near wilkes barre, i saw one in the case at advanced arms the other day. I think the tag price was around 650.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat222 View Post
    Okay, so I already own a 1911, a Springfield Mil Spec to be exact. I friend of mine mentioned wanting a 1911 recently. He says his limit is $700.

I reccomended to him of course, the Mil Spec, as it is just under that price. But considering the 1911's in the price range, what are the pros and cons so I can better help my friend out. Also, what other manufactuers are out there besides the ones I suggested he look into.

1: Springfield Mil-Spec
    2: Ruger SR1911
    3: Remington R1
    4: Rock Island

456 - The Taurus would be a good addition. $700 to me bring you to mid level 1911s there are Filipino 1911s guns out there for $390-$590 like the Blue GI Armorcos $399, Citidels nearly full dressed $499 compact and again Blue full size $599 Taurus. Then you have your Mid level $700-$800 1911s like the SS Taurus $699-$725, the SS Ruger SR1911 $685, SA Mil spec $789, SA Loaded for $890, SS S&W E series $800, and some the fancier Armocos are $699-$799 if you are left handed the PT1911 and these filipino 1911s might be great they have anbi safety. I do not care for the ambi safety being right handed. One of the things to take off the PT1911 to make it less problem some, if you are RH.

Question why does the Arsmoco SS model metal have a goldish ting to it rather then silver SS? It's hard to match with American 3rd party parts my Sam/Arrmosco looks like a zebra. Something to consider or buy Blue.
    Last edited by Neko456; April 4th, 2012 at 10:27 AM.

(Chester County)

+1 for the Taurus PT1911.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(York County)

Last edited by wizardtho; April 4th, 2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: double post
    The day we lose our will to fight is the day we lose our freedom.

(York County)

I have an American Classic II as my daily carry. Well within the price range you stated. Made by metro arms. In my personal opinion for its price range you can't beat it.
    The day we lose our will to fight is the day we lose our freedom.

(Lancaster County)

i second the spartan, i picked up a commander model for 678 and change on a whim when they came out and the thing has been utterly flawless and will put a complete mag into 2.5-3 inches with ammo it likes and not getting lazy on the bang switch at 25 yds. only complaint i have on them at all is that theyre parkerized, i sent mine out for melonite hope to have it back soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast