Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Vism red dot with M&P 15-22

My son just installed a Vism red dot on his M&P 15-22 and we zeroed it in. At 25 yes he was shooting some decent groups. Then I tried it. We are both left handed shooters. Everytime I shot my round was hitting 3 inches left of my aimpoint. His mount is different than mine, but not significantly. He 5' 7" with a decent reach. Am I to assume that the red dot is zeroed in just for him? What about a 3-9 x 30 compact rifle scope? Are we going to be stuck with them set only for him.

I do not know much about this so any info will be helpful

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Vism red dot with M&P 15-22

Quote Originally Posted by NickDFAL View Post
    My son just installed a Vism red dot on his M&P 15-22 and we zeroed it in. At 25 yes he was shooting some decent groups. Then I tried it. We are both left handed shooters. Everytime I shot my round was hitting 3 inches left of my aimpoint. His mount is different than mine, but not significantly. He 5' 7" with a decent reach. Am I to assume that the red dot is zeroed in just for him? What about a 3-9 x 30 compact rifle scope? Are we going to be stuck with them set only for him.

I do not know much about this so any info will be helpful
    It's called parallax error. On the cheap-O red dots it can make them fairly obnoxious.

Most of them are parallax free @ "_______" yds. Get the targets out past that distance and try it again.

I have a cheap one set up on an exact co-witness with the iron sights on an AR. With the sights flipped up, you just align the dot with the front sight post as a "reference" check. And then bang away at closer ranges. (Like for sight in- from a bench.) When you step back, say 50yds+ for fine tuning. It doesn't shift around on you as much.

It's the nature of the beast. If you spend more money... you'll get one with less parallax error.

In my case, were I actually "using it" people are pretty wide. And up close - the dot in the center of your chest... = you getting shot should I need to. An inch or two of error isn't going to matter.

Another thing. If you are using the micro red dot sight that looks like this.

And have it mounted directly to the rail on an AR-15. The natural sight plane is about an inch higher than your actual POA through the sight. IE: the natural head position gets tilted when you try to aim that low with your face on the stock. And it makes the dot shift around A LOT more. Raising the dot UP, will help alleviate some of this BS.

Learned all these lessons already...
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; April 4th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the info. I did get a quick disconnect mount that the scope is on, then attached to 15-22. Only about 1/2 inch higher though.

(Allegheny County)

Being that is an Aimpoint T1/H1 clone with a non-removeable base. You should go to primary arms and see what they use to get their "clone" with a fixed base to co-witness on an AR 15. They have a lot of affordable shhtuff to get their things to work pretty well on an AR. I can't see spending $500 on a sight for a .22. But you may be able to snag up a different mount to get it up higher.

Or perhaps the VISM sight is just a really POOR copy. Just as not all sights are created equal. Not all the clones are either.

Does yours have the red laser built into the top like in the picture? I thought that was a cool thing to add. Made me think about getting one when I saw it in CDNN's catalog. But, I at least know the Primary Arms ones work pretty good. So I was thinking of going there for a clone instead.