Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Grease vs Oil for Semi Autos

I was in a local gunshop last week looking at what I "need" next. While I was looking at what to buy next, I over heard a sales clerk instructing a new pistol owner to thoroughly oil the slide rails, barrel etc and keep the slide/frame oiled for its entire life.

Anyway, I didn't want to say anything as gun store clerks often get put off if you offer a counter opinion to theirs but I always grease (never oil) my rails.

Grease and oil are NOT the same thing. Greasing slide rails puts a nice persistant higher viscosity lubricant in place. In my opinion, oiling is "bad" as oil's viscosity is lower than that of grease (in layman's terms, it is more slippery/runny). Oiling the frame/slide rails allow for the slide to acheive a higher cycling velocity (when fired) than it would with grease causing more impact force to be transmitted from the slide to the frame. To me, this would increase wear and possibly lead to frame/slide cracking over a prolonged time.

To me this is similar as to why the military issued lubriplate with their M1 Garand's and M14 for use in the bolt raceway and such. While a petroluem engineer would disagree with me but I say "grease is grease". For this application wheel bearing grease, lubriplate, etc are all more or less equal and good to use.

I also know people who have used nothing but oil and have never had a problem. I have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and am a Registered Professional Engineer so I am probably being overly cautious and borderline paranoid.

FWIW, I ended up going to another shop that day and buying a SIG 1911 XO.

Any thoughts?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Grease vs Oil for Semi Autos

I use both grease and oil depending on the situation. But not just any grease or oil. I have a couple pints of a gun oil Anderol made in the 60s which is heavier than most gun oils of today. This is what I use most often. I also have a grease from that era made by Texaco. I tend to use that on firearms that I don't shoot much and store away for longer times. Both of these were discovered by my father who was an engineer in the automotive industry and passed on to me as the best he had ever tested. I am experimenting with synthetic motor oils on my ARs. I'm not as particular with bolt actions, single shots, etc.

Just as important as which oils or grease you choose is the amount applied. Most people apply too much.

Hope that wasn't at Tanner's?

Actually, it was at Tanners. They are a good and reputable shop and I think very highly of them.

I just disagree with what I believe I heard the guy advising the new owner.

(Bucks County)

I know what your saying. I also hear what I consider poor advice with cleaning rods.

I also have my preferences. I'm an engineer as well but EE. Then there is my brother who is the PhD petrochemical engineer. He just hoses his guns down with Remoil, whips it off, and says "good to go".

(Philadelphia County)

I find my 1911 works a lot better with grease instead of oil on the rails. For small moving parts, I put a light coating of oil on them like the firing pin, mag release, and safety components. My Ruger SR9 however, you can just spit on that and it will keep firing.

Hmmm...never thought about spit..

As for grease?? Don't know for sure...maybe, especially if you were going to store for awhile.

As for myself. I like my autoloaders a "little" bit wet. By this, I mean just what I said, a "little" bit, not dripping. Just my personal choice.

After cleaning I like to lubricate with Hoppe's lubricating oil (frame rails, slide, hammer, etc.), then take a patch and wipe off excess.

As a final lubrication step, I somewhat liberally use Royal Purple moter oil. Wipe off excess, but make sure all external moving parts recieve a fair amount. As long as I do this with my Beretta it runs fine, if not after a couple hundred rounds, it tends to dry up.

Just my opinion,

Gunner

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tabasco_joe View Post
    I use both grease and oil depending on the situation. But not just any grease or oil. I have a couple pints of a gun oil Anderol made in the 60s which is heavier than most gun oils of today.
    Try Kleenbore Formula 3...it's pretty thick stuff.

(Berks County)

Mobil 1 marine grease is in all 13 handgun slides I own. Mobil 1 0w30 is in the clock work in my safeties and triggers. Zero problems in 2,000 rounds.

People get so hung up on the details. If you let a gun run dry of either grease or oil for extended periods it'll do Damage. I wouldn't worry too much what they are telling new buyers. Noobs tend to over oil, with oil that's fine and won't hurt A thing as I highly doubt the buyer will be pumping 100's of rounds down the pipe before he does an Internet search on the ways of lubricating his new gun.

(Montgomery County)

On very tight 1911s I run oil on everything. On my loose hi powers I use grease on the rails. Wilson Combat specifically recommends light oil on their 1911s. They only recommend their grease on their ARs. As long as the grease doesn't slow down the action and cause malfunctions I see nothing wrong with it. However, I don't think you can go wrong with a quality oil either. Simply a preference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast