Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Cigar aficionados...

Well, my girlfriend bought me a humidor with a bunch of cigars for V-day.

I'm guessing this "Hygrometer" is telling me the humidity of the box? It looks like anything between 50-65% is normal. It also has this little metal piece in the top of the box with a sponge-type deal in there to put water in.

What are some of your favorite cigars? Now that I can buy them without having to smoke them within a few days, I can start stocking up.

Also, any tips for getting your cigars to keep longer in the humidor? I want to avoid mold, drying out, etc.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Cigar aficionados...

There are some many different kinds that are good. Macanudo (I like these), Hoya De Monterrey, Cohiba (especially if you can get the ones from Cuba), Davidoff, Ashton, and so, so many more. Pick up a copy of Cigar Aficionado, they do tests of different brands. Then just get a few of each and see what you like. Keep the humidity in that 50-65 range and the cigars will last a long time. You don't want to get too humid (mold) or too dry (will ruin cigar and you can't get it back right).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

I'm not a super aficionado, but I like my H. Upmann Grande Maduros, little Upmans and Monte Cristo Afriques. I think cigars will last almost indefinitely at 60% humidity. When I'm riding my motorcycles, I like to take a break with a good ol' cheap Backwoods Smoke.

(Lackawanna County)

I like H. Upmann and Dunhills

(Allegheny County)

I have a ring from a Cohiba, but I smoked it in Turkey. Smuggled the contraband back in my business card wallet... haha

It might not be fancy, but some of the cheaper Dominicans and Nicaraguans have found they their place with me. Some of the larger smoke shops will cut up boxes and sell variety packs. But, avoid the "variety packs" where a store will try to sell off their old stock. Sometimes that stock has spent some time outside of the humidor. But, if you try the upscale mix n matches enough, you'll find the perfect box for yourself. That's my advice. I'm by no means an aficionado, but I like a good smoke from time to time.

Hope I helped ya...

(Allegheny County)

70 degrees/ 70% humidity is considered optimum for storage but lots of folks prefer to have the humidity a bit less than that. Don't obsess over the humidity being off a bit...it's really not that big a deal. I've got 3 humis and only one hygrometer...and the battery's been dead for over a month. Use a 50/50 mixture of propylene glycol and distilled water in your humidifier. You can buy it already mixed in bottles.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Allegheny County)

Macanudo Gold Label Crystals here - by car my favorite cigar. They have a slightly sweet, nutty flavor.

Very yummy

(Adams County)

C.A.O. Maduros! Especially if you enjoy dark beer!
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    There are some many different kinds that are good. Macanudo (I like these), Hoya De Monterrey, Cohiba (especially if you can get the ones from Cuba), Davidoff, Ashton, and so, so many more. Pick up a copy of Cigar Aficionado, they do tests of different brands. Then just get a few of each and see what you like. Keep the humidity in that 50-65 range and the cigars will last a long time. You don't want to get too humid (mold) or too dry (will ruin cigar and you can't get it back right).
    +1 for Cuban Cohibas.

(Centre County)

Don't trust the hygrometer that came with the humidor they are notoriously inaccurate, but also like someone else said don't obsess over the humidity. Fill your sponge thingy regularly, and give your cigars a light squeeze now and then, they should give slightly and not make crunchy sounds. I have a small Pepsi fridge that I converted to a humidor, I have cigars in it that are over 10 years old now. Most good cigars, like bourbon generally get better with age if kept properly.

Make mine from Honduras with a Maduro wrapper and a 50 ring gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast