Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Beretta Tomcat jams

I'm having some jams/hangups when firing a fully loaded 7+1 magazine of .32s. Friends tell me it's the ammo. I've used Speer gold dot hp and PMC fmj. Any suggestions?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Beretta Tomcat jams

I bought a 3032 INOX Tomcat for my late wife years ago. She shot it well and carried it with confidence. Never had an issue with it. May be possible that you're not holding it properly. Try letting someone else shoot it. Hers ate everything we fed it. Could also be the mags, followers or feed ramp.

(Delaware County)

I have had similar experiences. The only thing that helps is serious cleaning and lubing after every shooting session making sure to clean out every bit of crud on any surface on which another part will slide. Even then, I've had a number of FTEs on every outing with any ammo that I've tried. I've not been impressed with small Berettas.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

I like the look and feel of the 32. caliber TomCat and small caliber flip top 22.25 guns (the larger 380s are great) but I never went out of my way to own one. The 22LRs have a reputation of a pretty reliable gun but the .32 TC seems to hot and cold some report a reliable .32 and others hot too happy with them. As stated I like the idea but not the results. If you got a good one its far better then the .25 caliber pistols I really don't have any faith in that caliber in any type gun. I'd skip right over that into 22LR.

(Jefferson County)

Since it doesn't have an extractor, the primary thing that would screw up ejection is a dirty chamber, and being dirty overall.

Also, too hot of ammo can cause it to have cycling issues as well as too weak. Too hot will cause the case to stick to the chamber, thus screwing with the timing. With a dirty or rough chamber wall, it can make the pressure induced blowback not cycle properly. (also, Beretta claims that ammo over 120 some-odd foot pounds energy is what causes the frames to crack).

Too weak of ammo and it doesn't delay properly. ...the brass doesn't expand and stick to the chamber just enough to allow the bullet to get out the barrel before cycling.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

If you have a blued/matte model check for a cracked frame. That's what happened to mine. It is a shame I really liked this gun but much happier with my Kel Tecs now.
    Here is a link to youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVeXUpBOfpc
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(Carbon County)

never had a single problem with mine no matter what i put in it. i did clean it after every use though. other people i know that also have them have never had a problem either.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
    If you have a blued/matte model check for a cracked frame. That's what happened to mine. It is a shame I really liked this gun but much happier with my Kel Tecs now.
    Here is a link to youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVeXUpBOfpc
    Had the same problem with the wife's Tomcat matte and because of horrible experience with Beretta CS over this issue, I have stayed away from Beretta ever since. I have seen 1 report of the Inox version cracking as well.

As for the issue you are experiencing OP, the manual actually says that after "break in", you will find that the gun shoots better with 1 or 2 types of ammo. Not sure what "better" means, but I'm venturing to guess that you need to try out more than just those 2 brands.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Lycoming County)

My mother has the .22 verson (Wildcat?) and she cannot shoot JHP out of hers.

Same thing you have happening happens to hers.

Just solid point cartridges.

Try some Round Nose and see how that works.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Had the same problem with the wife's Tomcat matte and because of horrible experience with Beretta CS over this issue, I have stayed away from Beretta ever since. I have seen 1 report of the Inox version cracking as well.

As for the issue you are experiencing OP, the manual actually says that after "break in", you will find that the gun shoots better with 1 or 2 types of ammo. Not sure what "better" means, but I'm venturing to guess that you need to try out more than just those 2 brands.

Al
    I can't complain too much about how Beretta handled mine. Of course this was 3 years ago. I remember this because big brown left the package (containing the replacement gun) sitting on the front porch without having anyone sign for it while my son was born in the hospital. I bought it used and they sold me a new Inox for cost $175 I think it was. I immediately listed it on GB and sold it with 2 additional mags NIB. All said and done I broke even. They even let me keep the old gun and I sold it as a parts kit on GB as well. I still have the cracked frame hanging on the wall in my reloading room.

I guess I don't have any hard feelings over it. I bought a new 92FS Inox and just bought a 21A 22LR used a couple of weeks ago. I like them both but not too much else appeals to me that they currently offer so my Beretta collection is complete. On to S&W's- this will take some funding and time to complete.
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast