Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range etiquette

(Allegheny County)

Default Range etiquette

So it's 55 and sunny today and I decide to go shoot. Nothing new, I shoot just about every Sunday. Can't shoot before noon at my range because the nuns down the street get upset, so we respect that. I get there early and set up a couple target as do four other shooters including a dad and son. First time this little guy is going to shoot. Good to see him there. As everyone is waiting for noon we talk and generally BS. All of a sudden BOOM someone takes a shot. I looked around to see who shot and one guy at the end with high power rifle and scope just looks at everyone. I said " you could have told everyone before you shot and made sure everyone had on their eyes and ears". He replied "you're at a gun range and it's noon". All I could think is arrogant a$$hole. No biggie everyone starts shooting.

So now someone wants a clear and everyone calls clear. People change targets and what not. Once everyone is back behind the line I ask if everyone is ready to go hot. Everyone replies "ready to go hot" or "going hot". But the individual on the end yells "clear". I ask if he needs to go down range. He says "no, clear to shoot". I reply "going hot". He replies jackass and I couldn't help myself to comment on his lack of intelligence (yes I know I shouldn't have). Better not to get into an argument with some guy with a chip on his shoulder at a gun range, but where do people like this come from?

Last edited by DaveM55; April 4th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Range etiquette

This is why I stopped going to public ranges many years ago. Just too many ignorant people. I would of had to said something to the guy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    So it's 55 and sunny today and I decide to go shoot. Nothing new, I shoot just about every Sunday. Can't shoot before noon at my range because the nuns down the street get upset, so we respect that. I get there early and set up a couple target as do four other shooters including a dad and son. First time this little guy is going to shoot. Good to see him there. As everyone is waiting for noon we talk and generally BS. All of a sudden BOOM someone takes a shot. I looked around to see who shot and one guy at the end with high power rifle and scope just looks at everyone. I said " you could have told everyone before you shot and made sure everyone had on their eyes and ears". He replied "you're at a gun range and it's noon". All I could think is arrogant a$$hole. No biggie everyone starts shooting.

So now someone wants a clear and everyone calls clear. People change targets and what not. Once everyone is back behind the line I ask if everyone is ready to go hot. Everyone replies "ready to go hot" or "going hot". But the individual on the end yells "clear". I ask if he needs to go down range. He says "no, clear to shoot". I reply "going hot". He replies jackass and I couldn't help myself to comment on his lack of intelligence (yes I know I shouldn't have). Better not to get into an argument with some guy with a chip on his shoulder at a gun range, but where do people like this come from?
    Well, if you were on my side of the state I'd say New Jersey or New York

(Allegheny County)

This is a prime example of why range commands need to be standardized. I've been at a number of ranges where guys like to make up their own terminology and that leads to nothing but confusion.

(Venango County)

That's why we installed rotating red 'Cop" lights in the range so you can turn them on when walking down the range....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    That's why we installed rotating red 'Cop" lights in the range so you can turn them on when walking down the range....
    My range has the red strobes, same idea.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    This is why I stopped going to public ranges many years ago. Just too many ignorant people. I would of had to said something to the guy.
    Unfortunately it's a private range. Never saw this guy before.

Last edited by DaveM55; April 5th, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Well, if you were on my side of the state I'd say New Jersey or New York

+1. I actually typed an "N" and couldn't decide if I should put a "J" or a "Y" behind it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Thats not a bad idea.... i can donate my old blue lights to r&v....
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Unfortunately it's a private range. Never saw this guy before.
    Does the club in question have rules about range commands? Can you ask to see there membership card?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast