Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Carrying out of state

Anyone know what the law is having a Pa. license to carry permit and taking a handgun into Maryland. I dont want to carry concealed In Maryland but what is the law as far as having the gun in the car?
    I was reading in the forum about getting a license to carry in Maryland and most said dont waste your time or money cause it's almost impossible to get one.

Default Re: Carrying out of state

Don't do it. Don't even think of taking a gun into Maryland unless you're traveling directly through it in accordance with the FOPA.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

i used to live in Maryland. you can take your gun into the state you just cant drive around with it. much like pa. ianal

(York County)

Maryland Criminal Law Section 4-203

Article - Criminal Law § 4-203.

(a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or

(iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.

(2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Maryland does not honor your PA LTCF.

From here, in case you want to read/save the whole thing... http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland...gcr/4-203.html

Last edited by Curmudgeon; April 1st, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lancaster County)

"[...]between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person[...]"

I looked all of this stuff up a year or two ago because I was going on vacation and wanted it at least in my hotel room-- still no go.

Bona fide residences are places you actually live, not your grandmas, friends, or a hotel room. I needn't go any further (the wording is fairly clear and narrow) and don't have time to find where I read it, but I seem to remember a statement from the States AG clarifying what a "bona fide residence" is. If I have time later I'll try to find and post it for your reading.

What it boils down to is don't take it with you.

As others have correctly stated, you are not legally permitted to take the handgun into Maryland, save for carved out exceptions. I should also ad that while there's what's illegal and what's legal 'in practice', this is a case where the letter of the law is what is enforced. States like nj, md, ny, and cities like NYC will not give citizens the benefit of the doubt whent it comes to firearms laws. In fact, these jurisdictions seem to make it a point to make examples of anyone who violates the letter of the law. My two cents: don't even try to do it. It sucks, but it is what it is.

(Delaware County)

informal target practice

So if I want to visit my uncle to shoot at his farm in Maryland it's ok? Seems too good to be true.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GregorOneEye View Post
    informal target practice

So if I want to visit my uncle to shoot at his farm in Maryland it's ok? Seems too good to be true.

This is correct. I did when I lived there. People hunt and go to ranges everyday.

You can go here... http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php

...and ask the folks who do it. Not a bad bunch of folks.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like the key here is to make sure that you have plans to go shooting.

(Delaware County)

Oh thank God, he's a sheriff and I didn't want him to arrest me :P
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast