Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Hey newbies, Looking for your 1st handgun?

Be very Leary of what so called gun experts that work at gun shops tell you.

I was in a very reputable LGS yesterday & overheard a salesperson tell a perspective buyer that he won't own a Beretta 92FS for fear of the slide flying off the gun & hitting him in the face.

I bit my lip & left not saying a word about how ridiculous that statement was.

When looking for your 1st handgun, do your own research. There's tons of information about every handgun ever made, but you must 1st wade through all the bull crap. There are very few lemons out there regardless of price. Become an educated consumer & your chances of making a solid purchase will be in your favor.
    Last edited by triplebike; April 1st, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Hey newbies, Looking for your 1st handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post

I was in a very reputable LGS yesterday & overheard a salesperson tell a perspective buyer that he won't own a Beretta 92FS for fear of the slide flying off the gun & hitting him in the face.

When looking for your 1st handgun, do your own research. There's tons of information about every handgun ever made, but you must 1st wade through all the bull crap. There are very few lemons out there regardless of price. Become an educated consumer & your chances of making a solid purchase will be in your favor.
    What? I've had a Beretta 92FS for about ten years and have no fear of the slide flying off and hitting me in the face. I recall hearing that early M9s had problems with slides cracking when they were first issued to the military and that's about it. I wouldn't worry about a modern M9 or 92FS.

Good advice; I actually did a lot of research about different guns long before I went to the gun shop. When you have the input of a lot of different experienced people, one negative when you go to buy it shouldn't discourage you as much.

I heard someone at Gander Mountain tell a customer that the IO Hellcat was a great weapon and, "It's On Sale!". Some are looking to make certain sales, some are biased, some just don't know as much as they think they do. Same as any other type of salesman.

Of course going to a good gun shop can alleviate some of those problems; if a place has a good reputation for being knowledgeable you can get their opinion, but you should still back it up with your own research before going through with an actual purchase.

(Bucks County)

Wise words to start a Sunday on!

(Lebanon County)

I heard a BPS guy tell a miltary guy they dont carry AR15 because they are just surplus m16 that they make into semi automatic.He also told the same guy they dont sell mini14s when there where 3 right behind him.I almost busted out laughing and had to walk away from the counter biting my toungue.

(Indiana County)

Why do you guys bite your lip when some dumbass is going on like that?

I've seen a salesguy trying to pass off a Boyds stocked Garand as a "mint" GI bringbacks, tell guys that hunting deer with a pistol is something no real hunter does, only Armalite makes an AR in .308 (seems like he was biased since he had two on his rack for sale) and so much other crap that it's not funny.
    The topper might have been at a show when a guy asked the dealer why he didn't need to do paperwork on a replica .44cal blackpowder revolver. The dealer says because it's low powered and won't kill someone.
    About 5 guys standing near the table clogged the aisles while doubled over in laughter.

I always correct the salesman and don't care if they like it or not.
    They are doing nothing but starting a guy on the road to look like a dumbass when he goes off and repeats the story to someone else.
    Look at the recent thread about AK's being banned by Obama, guy hears it from a dealer that wanted to make a sale and the guy takes it for gospel and ends up looking like a major ass trying to sell his banned WASR for $600.

I would have looked right at that dumbass and the first thing I would of asked him is which way the slide comes off, forward or rear?
    And then asked him what kind of pistol does he carry?
    I'd bet is was the one he was trying to sell the guy.

I hate stupid asses like that.

[/rant]

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Why do you guys bite your lip when some dumbass is going on like that?

I've seen a salesguy trying to pass off a Boyds stocked Garand as a "mint" GI bringbacks, tell guys that hunting deer with a pistol is something no real hunter does, only Armalite makes an AR in .308 (seems like he was biased since he had two on his rack for sale) and so much other crap that it's not funny.
    The topper might have been at a show when a guy asked the dealer why he didn't need to do paperwork on a replica .44cal blackpowder revolver. The dealer says because it's low powered and won't kill someone.
    About 5 guys standing near the table clogged the aisles while doubled over in laughter.

I always correct the salesman and don't care if they like it or not.
    They are doing nothing but starting a guy on the road to look like a dumbass when he goes off and repeats the story to someone else.
    Look at the recent thread about AK's being banned by Obama, guy hears it from a dealer that wanted to make a sale and the guy takes it for gospel and ends up looking like a major ass trying to sell his banned WASR for $600.

I would have looked right at that dumbass and the first thing I would of asked him is which way the slide comes off, forward or rear?
    And then asked him what kind of pistol does he carry?
    I'd bet is was the one he was trying to sell the guy.

I hate stupid asses like that.

[/rant]
    I tried to rep you for stealing my thoughts. Alas, I must spread it around. I guess you've been awesome enough to deserve repping twice, but not awesome enough that I can recall why . . .

Don't bite your tongue.

Simply and politely state the facts. "Excuse me, the 92FS is a fine firearm and the stories about slides flying off are mostly urban legend." If the sales guy gets pissy, say 'thanks anyway,' and walk out of the store. No place spreading disinformation gets my cash.

Also, with the prevalence of smartphones, pull up a review and let the customer read it.
    ~ All Knowledge Is Worth Having ~

Never:

1 seek firearm law adivice from a leo.
    2 believe anything you hear in a gun shop.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lehigh County)

The M9 pistols did have slide issues when first adopted by the military. This was because the 92FS wasn't originally designed to be fed 9mm NATO. When the US Army tested the pistol, they shot comercial 9mm Luger in the neighborhood of 10k rounds without major failure.

When the US Military started shooting 9mm NATO, they were having issues (slides coming off, locking blocks breaking) between 5-7k rounds. This caused Beretta to add a slide stop to keep from injuring troops when the failure occurred. The locking blocks breaking is still very common when shooting 9mm NATO. When I was competing in the Army, it was happening often enough that every shooter had one in his/her kit. It wasn't uncommon to have 2-3 (out of 300 or so shooters) guns go down with a mechanical failure in a match.

This being said, I've never met someone who claimed to see a slide come off and injure a Soldier/Marine. I certainly have never seen a slide come off when firing.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Berks County)

There is some truth to that statement. Ever hear:

"Not a true SEAL until you've tasted Italian Steel"?

It's happened before, but I wouldnt be going around telling people not to buy a beretta over it. Apparently there were issues with early takedown lugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast