Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Ruger SR22 Slide Damage - Factory Modification?

A poster in another forum pointed me to some threads on "slide damage" occurring to at least some SR22s. The damage in question occurs to the trailing edge of the notch on the slide that catches the slide release lever.

When I examined my own SR22 for the damage, I was surprised to find that the notch in my slide has had a pin inserted to protect its trailing edge:

The photo also shows I didn't clean the pistol after the last 350 rounds ops:

I have not modified the pistol, so to the best of my knowledge my NIB purchase came straight from the factory this way. Therefore, Ruger is certainly aware that this form of "slide damage" is in fact an issue.

FYI, the test cartridge is dated 3/5/2012, the serial # is 360-35xxx, and the slide does not have "Pistol" on it. I hope you find this info useful.

Edit: The Ruger SR22 manual shows the pin as "Part #50 Dowel Pin for Slide Stop". I never thought to check the parts list, so I've added this note to the OP.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; March 31st, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Default Re: Ruger SR22 Slide Damage - Factory Modification?

We had issues with the SR22 as well. But not the slide damage you show. However when we sent it back, it came back with a new slide.
    Last edited by jukeboxfun; May 1st, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Nothing significant damage to report here.... purchased the weapon probably around the end of March, no pin. Will monitor situation. Thanks for the head's up!

Here's another pic from another forum, there is a little wear on mine but nothing I have been concerned about.

A video highlighting the issue

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    Nothing significant damage to report here.... purchased the weapon probably around the end of March, no pin. Will monitor situation. Thanks for the head's up!
    If you are certain you have no pin there, its a problem. That steel pin is the only thing that protects the aluminum slide from the steel slide release button. As I later learned, that pin has been in place since the SR22P was launched.

Here's another pic from another forum, there is a little wear on mine but nothing I have been concerned about.

Aye, that photo is mine, same gun as in the OP. The damaged slide photos I've seen show the area near that pin chewed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    If you are certain you have no pin there, its a problem.
    Think the slide will have to come off to know for sure, I let you know. The good news is we know Ruger will fix it

Think the slide will have to come off to know for sure, I let you know. The good news is we know Ruger will fix it
    I have it (the pin), borderline microscopic (need to remove the slide) and painted black on the outside....I have been misperceiving it as a scratch this whole time.
    Last edited by EandGWZ; May 2nd, 2012 at 12:07 PM.

So would you say the SR22 is GTG or not?
    [SIGPIC]

(Dauphin County)

I also have an SR22 and have >500 rounds through it. In general it is a nice pistol but there are some things that would improve it. The slide on mine is a loose fit to the frame (a little looser than a friend's SR22) and since the barrel is fixed to the frame that effects the accuracy a little bit. I may work on tightening that up in the future when I run out of things to do. Also the adjustable rear sight has about .014 side to side play. I installed a brass shim to remove that play in the sight.

As far as slide damage, mine has the pin but a burr on the slide stop was plowing a small groove in the bottom of the slide. It isn't clear in the photo that Twoboxer posted but it appears to be showing on his slide where the white streak is to the left of the pin. I had to stone and polish the top of the slide stop to minimize that problem. It will be hard to tell if it gets worse unless I take a picture of the current condition.

It is a nice little pistol and I have enjoyed it so far. I did completely strip the frame to polish the sear and other parts and just to see how it was put together.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast