Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Women's Handgun Choices

There have been a lot of posts lately, asking about what 9mm/380/nerf dart pistol one should buy for one's mom/wife/girlfriend. In most of these posts, there is a phrase something like: "The [insert caliber here] recoil is too much, so I want to get her a [insert lesser caliber here] instead". I see a lot of people recommending subcompact 9mm or 380 autos in this situation, but I wanted to share some recent experiences.

Over the last few weeks I have taken my mother, sister, and two other women out shooting, all of which haver either never shot a pistol, or have once or twice. We had a number of guns to include:

Glock 19
    Glock 36
    Sig P226 (9mm)
    Ruger GP100 3" Wiley Clapp
    Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380
    Taurus 709
    Smith and Wesson J-Frame Revolver
    Smith and Wesson SW1911

What I found was interesting. Almost unanimously, they preferred the Ruger GP100, and were not even really put off by 357 loads! The P226 and 1911 were just about tied (the safety was a big hit), and the 380, and J-frame revolver came in dead last (despite the coolio laser on the bodyguard).

When asked, most stated that they liked the comfort and simplicity of the GP100, and the fact that they could easily hit the targets with it. When I loaded the GP100 with some low power wadcutters, the shooting elicited smiles and some giggling. When using the smaller guns, there was a lot of frustration about either discomfort or inability to hit anything.

I guess the point I would like to make here is that you should really expose your mom/wife/girlfriend to some different options and let her choose. The usual "man" suggestion was universally rejected by them (at least in the cases I had).

Now, if anyone knows where I can get another GP100 Wiley Clapp for my mother, PM me!
    Stay frosty....

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Women's Handgun Choices

I think it has a lot more to do with trigger pull preference and hand size than gender. Women, just like men will prefer a firearm that fits their hand more comfortably and with a more comfortable trigger pull.

I agree with the op. I have posted it before and will do it again. LIGHT weight J Frames, Ruger LCRs, LCPs, P3ATs etc...SUUUUUUUUUUUCK for a new shooter. Gender is not important. They just are not very forgiving in the trigger, grip, and recoil department.
    Jules

I have taught many females how to shoot. All of them learn on a full size 1911 in .45. I let them (just in the past year, or so) shoot a 9mm 1911 after they have shot about 200 rds of .45 and only about 50% of them want to scale down the recoil. I think it is best to let the female choose what she wants to shoot. It is a good idea to get her to try different flavors, but she should decide, ultimately. If she in fact is choosing a nerf gun, then I'll try to give advice against it, but I rarely get a girl that wants a nerf gun. Few, in fact choose a .380, as far as that goes. It is less stopping power than a 9, most .380s are small and snappy, and it is almost twice the cost of 9mm. It is the same cost or even a couple dollars more than .45 ACP.

Edit: I don't ususally recommend a revolver unless a person just wants one. Nothing against revolvers, it is just the way I roll. I still try to get anyone who is interested in a revolver to at least learn to load and shoot a semi.
    Last edited by harold63; March 31st, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

My wife tried 9 different hand guns before she picked the Lady Smith and Wesson in 357 mag. Every thing from a 1895 Nagant to a full size 1911. She prefers her Lady smith and the 357 mag is not a problem. She picked her gun and that is the way it should be.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Allegheny County)

I think one of the most overlooked factors when deciding on a firearm for a woman is the ability to manipulate the controls. Some (not all, so please ladies don't jump down my throat) have a real hard time locking the slide open without an empty magazine in the gun.

I was helping with a new shooter safety class late last year and was helping a lady and her daughter become familiar with their new guns. The daughter had a Bersa .380 and mom had a S&W bodyguard .380. The mother just could not lock the slide to the rear on either gun. It turns out her husband had bought it for her without her present.

Sorry for the hijack.

(Philadelphia County)

I wouldn't discount the single stack 9mm pistols such as the Kahr. The slimmer profile makes the manual of arms a bit easier for those with smaller hands as well as being easier to conceal. Plus you're still shooting 9mm which has plenty of decent SD ammo readily available.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Centre County)

Here is my experience in this subject.

When my wife started to shoot, first thing I bought her was ruger 22.
    After some basic shooting, I bought her S&W M3913. Single stack 9mm. She liked it, because she was able to pull the slide back all the way until locks. But she didn't like the trigger.
    She then wanted a M&P9C, because it was small, and was cute. I fact, she named it a "Mini P".
    Well, she end up hating the poor Mini P, because being a small light weight, it wasn't the easiest gun to shoot(I told her that, but she chose to ignore my suggestion prior to buying it. But I ended up carrying it for about 2 years until I bought my Kahr K9).
    She didn't want anything revolver, even tho old Model 10 in. 38special would have been good choice.
    So next gun I bought for her was Walt her P99AS. She liked it, because it was light, and easy for her to grip with small grip insert.
    Well, she hated it, because it recoiled alot due to light weight, and she could not pul DA trigger without struggle(my wife have very weak hand strength, due to GBS).
    So she dicided to trade it for yet another light weight compact gun, which was Beretta PX4 Storm.
    Gun recoiled badly for her, gun wouldn't cycle at all. Stove pipe one after another.

I finally got sick of spending and losing money and seeing the same pattern, took the matter in to my own hand, and bought her a full size steel framed 1911 in 9mm.
    She hated te gun, because it was big, and heavy.
    Well, to make a story short, she ended up loving the soft recoiling, accurate shooting pig
    so much that she wanted me to spend some money to make it "hers" with pink grip, thick bushing with smooth GI plug, new beavertail grip safety, extened slide release, magwell, short trigger, 11degree target crown(although i dont think it does much in pistol)and duo tone cerakote.

You see, I don't think for a new girl shooter should start out with light weight small guns at all.
    Instead, id get a big full sized steel gun(semi or wheel gun), 9mm or .38special. That she can operate controls' and in my wife's case, that she can pull slide back, (my wife's 1911's 12lb recoil spring made it easy for even her to pull slide back, which is a biggie for most girls)
    Key is "Soft shooting", that fits her hand.
    Not light and cute
    Last edited by Mity2; April 1st, 2012 at 04:57 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Carbon County)

problem is if your girl or wife carries. mine likes to shoot the heavy revolvers because no recoil. she only carries in her purse so a 357 is not working for her. she hates the small 38 revolvers. she likes full size 9mm. she finally settles on a lcp and a sig 238, for some reason she doesnt mind shooting them and the fit in her purse.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    problem is if your girl or wife carries. mine likes to shoot the heavy revolvers because no recoil. she only carries in her purse so a 357 is not working for her. she hates the small 38 revolvers. she likes full size 9mm. she finally settles on a lcp and a sig 238, for some reason she doesnt mind shooting them and the fit in her purse.
    ^^^^^^^

This.....

Shooting and carrying are two different things IMO. The way I chose (of course, its different I guess if the girl is in there making her own decisions or just going along with her man) is to START by what I wanted to carry, and could afford...I figured I could learn to shoot whatever that was.

So I chose the LC9 first and learned to shoot it (still working on it of course). I bought a holster/carry handbag for it. Then I got an LCP to conceal carry. I don't like shooting it much, but I can, because it has a laser sight. And I can conceal it on my body when there will be times I cannot keep a handbag on myself or keep an eye on it constantly.

Meanwhile, of course I like shooting the heavier frame guns and the .22...but to me, "enjoying shooting" is for the range. "Able to conceal" and "Able to shoot" is for everyday life. A good conceal weapon might not be a fun toy at the range, but I knew that from the beginning. A fun toy at the range may not be something you can carry every day.

But I guess that doesn't help the OP....
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast