Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Needing advice on changing an Ordnance

I have just moved to Lower Salford township in Montgomery county. Great place, a ton of parks and bike paths. I was out wandering on a path smoking my pipe when I stopped to read the Rules & Regulations. Imagine my consternation when I read this:

§ 117-1. Rules enumerated.

The Board of Supervisors of Lower Salford Township hereby establishes the following rules and regulations which shall be applicable to all Township parks, recreation areas and Township-owned open space areas in Lower Salford Township.

C. The following are prohibited:
    (8) Possession or discharge of any type firearms.

Now, I know that § 6120. Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition. makes it clear that the Park rule is flawed. I need help on the best way to bring this to the Parks board. I had a very nice conversation with one of the ladies in the Township and she suggested I write a letter to the Parks board, and I would like to, but to be perfectly frank, my skill at this type of writing is terrible. Is there a template or another letter I could reference that I could use as a guide?

The only way change happens is by working locally, and I'd like to start "putting my money where my mouth is" so to speak. Any advice would be appreciated. I will draft a letter and post it here for critique.

Thanks.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Needing advice on changing an Ordinance

I would suggest perusing this thread. It's very similar and Exceltoexcel is a very bright guy. He cites a lot of great information. I'm reading through it and will edit this post if I can find the letter he sent.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...reemption.html

Here's a post by Danp about doing the same thing I think you're trying to do. Def check out the thread and see if you can get in touch with Danp about his efforts.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...html#post12773

(Philadelphia County)

This is an issue in a lot of these townships. I discussed the issue with Henry Statskowski (Statkowski on the forum) and we guessed that most of these townships simply downloaded a pre-built ordinances package from some organization.

Henry contacted the organization that distributes them to get them to remove the firearm related ordinances and I think he finally got in touch with the right people to have them reconsidered.

Simply put however, just ignore the ones related to possession/carrying (although the ones about discharging do not violate 6120). One day we'll have the resources to take issue with all of them just for fun.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Montgomery County)

Here is a copy of what I am going to send my Parks board:
    Derek Price
    XXX
    Harleysville, PA. 19438
    February 13, 2008

Mary West
    Lower Salford Township
    Parks Department
    379 Main Street
    Harleysville, PA, 19438

Dear Ms. West:

First, let me express my extreme satisfaction with both the quality and the location of the parks here in Lower Salford. I have a three year old son that loves going to the park and playing on the equipment, and I have found that they are always both safe and clean.
    My concern is about one of the park rules. From Chapter 117 : Parks.

§ 117-1. Rules enumerated.
    The Board of Supervisors of Lower Salford Township hereby establishes the following rules and regulations which shall be applicable to all Township parks, recreation areas and Township-owned open space areas in Lower Salford Township.
    C.The following are prohibited:
    (8)Possession* or discharge of any type firearms.
    F.Any person or persons violating any of the provisions of this article shall be subject to a criminal fine not to exceed $1,000 per violation plus restitution for damages done and imprisonment in the Montgomery County Correctional Facility to the extent allowed by law for the punishment of summary offenses. Enforcement of any such violations shall be by action brought before a District Justice in the same manner provided for the enforcement of summary offenses under the Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure.
    *Emphasis mine

This rule is directly contradictory to Commonwealth statute, as quoted below:

§ 6120. Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition.
    (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township* may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    *Emphasis mine.

I would ask that the rule be removed from the Township parks. Thank you for your time and understanding.
    Sincerely,
    Derek Price

They have a meeting on Feb. 26th and I hope to be able to make it for the public comment.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Here is a copy of what I am going to send my Parks board:
    That's a start!
    Please let us know if you get a response or if you have a need to request further info/help.

PS: +9 for initiative

(Jefferson County)

Looks good to me.. polite and to the point.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I, for one, applaud your efforts to take "action"!
    Good luck in your quest,
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Franklin County)

Agreed. The letter is simple, to the point, and non-confrontational. Save the 'big guns' for when they're needed.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

+ 11 good job

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    The only way change happens is by working locally, and I'd like to start "putting my money where my mouth is" so to speak.
    Right on! Keep us up to date on how this works out for you. I would hope that they correct the reg, and hopefully this will motivate more people to work toward similar changes in their local areas.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast