Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Talking Altra Firearms - Jackson Center, PA

So I was in search of an M1895 Nagant Revolver when I searched on here and found reviews for Altra Firearms. I read through the reviews and some posts were left referring to the posters heading into the movie Deliverance. I was interested after reading the reviews but also a little leery that I was going to find some back woods rednecks. After visiting the shop twice and making two purchases I will say that this is far from the fact.

So, here are some things you will read on other posts that I will answer.
    Is it 'in the middle of nowhere?' Yes.
    Is it down a gravel drive? Yes.
    Does it look like the basement of someone's house? Yes.
    Is there a sensor alerting the shop someone is driving down the drive? Yes.
    Is their staff welcoming and knowledgeable? Yes.
    Will I continue to make purchases from this shop? Hell yes.

I walked into the shop a few weekends ago looking for my M1895. I had to fight for a place to park as there were cars all over their parking lot. After someone left, I pulled into the spot and opened the door to the shop. It is a small shop and from what I understand they will be opening a new shop across the road from their location. I was instantly greeted by large Rottweiler that was looking to be pet -- extremely friendly pet and great way to walk into the shop. Behind the counter was 5 to 6 gentleman working the counters. I instantly had a gentleman whom I believe is named Josh ask if I needed help with anything. I explained I was looking for the M1895 and he pulled one from the case. He started to explain that he visited the shops in Russia, Izhevsk and Tula, and walked through the history of the pistol. Very friendly and knowledgeable gentleman.

As you walk in, immediately to your right is a rack of Russian Captured K98's priced around $400+ and below them a rack of Mosin-Nagants. Then you move into AKs, Saigas, Dragunovs, and rows of ARs. On the left is an L shape of cases loaded with pistols. There is also a center rifle rack of miscellaneous rifles and shotguns. Past the racks on the wall are crates of mil surplus ammo. Large quantities of 7.62x39, 7.62x25, 7.62x54, 5.45x39 and then some .223/5.56 (I am sure there were more calibers). I picked up my M1895 and couldn't be happier of the experience.

This evening I picked up a PPS-43C. I called earlier in the week to see if they had a TT-33 in stock. I was informed that they did not have any. So I asked what else they had in 7.62x25. A gentleman named Denny explained they had the PPS-43C in stock. I thanked him and wanted to research a bit more online about the weapon. I decided later that day that I wanted to pick one up. I called back to the shop to see their quantities and said I would be in first thing Saturday to pick one up.

I was able to head up early on Friday to get the weapon. I came into the shop and was greeted immediately and asked what they could do to help. I explained I was looking for a PPS-43C to a gentleman who I believe is Jeff. To my surprise, he pulled one of the weapons off of the shelf and sticky note was on it stating 'Customer Coming Saturday.' I ended up talking for a bit and picking up the weapon and some ammo.

Customer Service: A+
    Experience: A+

Their milsurplus ammo prices put a serious run for the money against online vendors. When you add in the cost per round with shipping, etc... you will most likely saving in this shop.

I wanted to write a real review of their business and service. It is very rare that you find a shop that has excellent customer service and knowledgeable staff. I was floored when someone told me, "I don't have that answer but this gentleman does" and immediately grabbed another employee/owner to answer the question.

I am not connected to them by any means. I wanted to get an honest review to their service and my personal experience shopping with them.

Their website is at: http://altrafirearms.com/Home.html
    Jim

Default Re: Altra Firearms - Jackson Center, PA

thanks for the info.