Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR .357

(Luzerne County)

Default Ruger LCR .357

I recently read a great review on this revolver. Basically, the review said it has less than expected recoil, extremely effective self defense power , and surprisingly ease of concealment. Does anyone have experience with this revolver, and if so, would you agree with this review? The review was in the September edition of The Truth About Guns.
    Last edited by nailer; March 29th, 2012 at 10:27 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Ruger LCR .357

My dad has one, while I have not tried to carry it I have shot it and what was pleasantly surprised. Recoil was manageable for such a light gun, accuracy was very good and it felt very comfortable in my hand. Think it would make a great pocket gun. Have been looking at getting one myself but have a few other guns on my list ahead of it.

(Montgomery County)

Save 75 bucks and get the version in .38 Special. I am an avid wheel gunner and a few of the lightweight compact .357's have found their way into my hands over the years. The fireball is obnoxious, the reocil punishing and all this comes at little to no increase in effectiveness.

The LCR is a great revolver. Heck, spring for the extra bucks and for the same price get the .38 special version with the front night sight installed. If you have never shot full house .357 mag loads out of a 2 inch barrel light weight revolver before you may be in for a surprise. I have a .38 special S&W airweight revolver and when shooting +P .38 special loads the recoil is more punishing than my .454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk (7.5 inch barrel). Frankly, I can shoot my .454 all day, I stop after about 20 rounds through the 15 ounce .38 special. Caveat emptor.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Save 75 bucks and get the version in .38 Special. I am an avid wheel gunner and a few of the lightweight compact .357's have found their way into my hands over the years. The fireball is obnoxious, the reocil punishing and all this comes at little to no increase in effectiveness.

The LCR is a great revolver. Heck, spring for the extra bucks and for the same price get the .38 special version with the front night sight installed. If you have never shot full house .357 mag loads out of a 2 inch barrel light weight revolver before you may be in for a surprise. I have a .38 special S&W airweight revolver and when shooting +P .38 special loads the recoil is more punishing than my .454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk (7.5 inch barrel). Frankly, I can shoot my .454 all day, I stop after about 20 rounds through the 15 ounce .38 special. Caveat emptor.
    I am not sure if I agree, I purchased the LCR in .357 for my wife. The price difference was less than $75 (between the 38 and the 357) and I would prefer to have the option of 38, 38+P and .357. Granted I have not shot .357 out of the pistol yet, I will and report back.
    As for carry; I just received my crossbreed holsters for my 1911 and the LCR and I feel I will be carrying the LCR more than I anticipated. Again this was purchased for my wife but I really like the pistol and feel completely comfortable carrying a 357, yes the 38+P is completely sufficient but I am putting down my 45 and the magnum round makes me feel better.
    Just my 2 cents.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post

Wasted energy, .357 vs .38 +p. I agree. However if you wanna shoot .357 for fun, or to punish your friends at the range, go for it.

It's a little different when you start getting into 6 and 8 inch barrels. Then .357 really starts to cook, and more mass (gun) equals less perceived recoil.

If I were to carry a revolver chambered in. 357 I'd carry .38 +p. JMO.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Blair County)

From everything I've read, the .357 offers no advantages. It's more expensive, heavier, and the extra recoil is all for nothing because the magnum rounds offer little or no extra power over hot .38s.

I'd get the .38 if I were looking to buy. And if I had the .357, I wouldn't bother shooting more than .38.

I'll pay extra to be able to shoot .38 or .357mag. Plus some of the best .38special loads are hard to find.

(Pike County)

+1 on the .38 vs. the .357. Little effective difference and there is a BIG difference in handling the two guns. I can shoot 50 hot loads out of the .38 and not feel beat up. 12 .357's out of a stainless 2" revolver and my thumb is hamburger and my brain is scrambled from muzzle blast. Any polymer .357 is going to be wicked.

The final deciding factor for me was size - the .38 is a much handier package when you compare them side-by-side.

(Westmoreland County)

I like mine a lot and I carry it often with .357 XTP's.

Go for it.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by edsel f View Post
    I am not sure if I agree, I purchased the LCR in .357 for my wife. The price difference was less than $75 (between the 38 and the 357) and I would prefer to have the option of 38, 38+P and .357. Granted I have not shot .357 out of the pistol yet, I will and report back.
    As for carry; I just received my crossbreed holsters for my 1911 and the LCR and I feel I will be carrying the LCR more than I anticipated. Again this was purchased for my wife but I really like the pistol and feel completely comfortable carrying a 357, yes the 38+P is completely sufficient but I am putting down my 45 and the magnum round makes me feel better.
    Just my 2 cents.

If you are ever in a fight, how you felt before the fight will have little impact on the actual outcome.

My point is that your emotions have nothing to do with the effectiveness of a fighting weapon. Since by your own admission you have not shot the magnums out of that little pocket rocket what in the hell makes you think you can fight with it??? What you are saying is that this device with a certain property (chambered in .357 magnum) makes you feel safe, therefore it is good for you. I personally care more about where I can sling lead effectively as my weapon is no magic talisman to ward off evil.

If you want some practical exercise to run, try shooting one handed with magnum loads in that 16 ounce revolver. Now imagine doing it in low light without hearing protection. If you are not intimately familiar with a weapon you should not carry it for defense, I would suggest working on your distance running speed as a better bet to stay alive.

I will repeat myself for clarity, if you cannot hit what you aim at and hit it repeatedly consider another plan for self defense.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast