Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Case Cleaning With Household Items

I wanted to share some results of some recent cases I cleaned using vinegar,tap water, and Dawn dish soap. A little back ground. I just began reloading at the begining of this year. Starting out I was hand cleaning all of my cases. These cases never hit the ground I had layed old blankets and tarps down when shooting to keep the brass fairly clean. But when I first started shooting the AR I didn't do this. When I had loaded so many shells up and got down in my case bucket I noticed dirt and corrossion on the cases not wanting to invest more money at the moment I started research case cleaning.
    Material required: 2- 1 1/2 gallon buckets (what ever you have plastic that holds water and cases), 1- collinder or strainer, distilled all natural vinegar, Dawn dish soap, terry cloth towels, pillow cases(in my case 1 pillow case and a pair of swet pants), 1- dryer half filled with a load of all ready dried clothes and a used dryer sheet( the half filled with clothes is to prevent loud banging and keep the wife happy), tap water.
    Put 1 quart of cool tap water into a bucket(I guaged just under body temp to feel). Add 1 cup of distilled vinegar to the water followed by 8 to 10 drops of Dawn dish soap. Side note there is some arguement as to whether vinegar mixed with Dawn creates ammonia a no no for brass. I went with a more diluted mixed then 50 50 for that reason. Avoid any dish soap that does contain ammonia. Add cases to the solution. Depending on the amount of cases just increases each dosage accordingly. To insure all the cases are sumerged. Work or tumble the cases a few times to mixe solution and the case let stand 5 minutes. After 5 mintues stir again repeating 1 more time. In the other bucket place enough warm water to more then cover cases and 15 drops of Dawn I didn't make it like soapy dish water.
    After 15 total minutes in the cleaning solution drain the cases ( I didnt use the collinder yet just held the cases in by hand) drain the cases thoroughly.Put them into the other bucket. Soak them in the soapy water for 10 minutes stiring 2 times. Rinse 1st bucket and fill it half full of cool water. After 10 minutes removes cases from soapy water into plain tap water bucket. Stir and mix for 2 minutes dump in collinder. Rinse under cold tap water for a minute let drain several minutes.
    Spread out both terry cloth towels. If your cases haven't been deprimed shake cases upside down as you remove from collinder water will trap down in the primer pocket. laying cases down 10 or so at a time I rolled them like apllying lube until towel was half full then moved them to other towel to air dry.When I had about half the 223 cases on the air drying towel 500- 700. I put them into a pillow case and tied the end shut. Then I put the pillow case inside a pair of swet pants tying the legs shut and using the pull string to tie the waist band shut. ( I did this after catistrophic failure of the seam on first pillow case and was picking cases out of clothing).
    Place into the dryer that has half a load of dried clothing( cuts down on the banging). Dry cases on delicate medium heat for 20 minutes, I did the 2 consecutive times to ensure cases are dry. When I dumped my first batch my jaw dropped I didn't expect such results. They looked like new cases. I left them laying out to be sure further drying. Vinegar will actually slightly dull the cases the dryer and used dryer sheet is the key for shine. Now hopefully I can attach the after pics . I didnt do befores.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Case Cleaning With Household Items

1 Point to add obviously water and powder don't mix. Be sure cases are dry.

(Berks County)

Add 1 cup of distilled vinegar to the water followed by 8 to 10 drops of Dawn dish soap. Side note there is some arguement as to whether vinegar mixed with Dawn creates ammonia a no no for brass
    There should be no argument at all, or anything to worry about....there is nothing in Vinegar (acetic acid+water) and Dawn (water+surfactants+soaps) that could possibly form even the most rudimentary urea let alone full blown NH3 (ammonia).

Looking up acetic acid it says "it dissolves not only polar compounds such as inorganic salts and sugars, but also non-polar compounds such as oils and elements such as sulfur and iodine" probably some of the same types of crap you will get during combustion and that discolors cases...it should remove this stuff inside and out.

Either way, your brass looks good, I just tumble cases myself, haven't gone in for any of the chemical cleaning, but maybe I will give vinegar a try on some of my discolored and really dirty brass and see what it does.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Clinton County)

The thing I really like the most is the cost a few ounces of Dawn and a cup of vinegar about 50 cents for 2000 cases. Not counting cost of water and electric for dry of course.

(Monroe County)

Last time I tumbled some cases, I threw in about 1/8 cup of baking soda ....
    if the dentist uses it on your teeth can't be too bad.

Even the crapy badly stained cases came out shinny.

(Cumberland County)

Couple years back there was a post with link to article about different home mixes for sonic cleaners. Looked for it but couldn't find it. I just use The Hornady case cleaner in my sonic cleaner. Cases come out looking like new in 12 minutes.

(Clarion County)

Have been using a citric acid solution for years. If I have a source I'll mix a 5% solution, if not a couple teaspoon of Lemushine or other dishwashing powder containing citric acid does the job. An exhaustive discussion about using citric acid: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83572
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

I don't have a tumbler yet so I wash them. I use Dawn "Power Clean", vinegar and water to clean my brass. I found it is better to deprime the cases prior to washing to both clean the primer pockets and help drain out excess water.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I don't have a tumbler yet so I wash them. I use Dawn "Power Clean", vinegar and water to clean my brass. I found it is better to deprime the cases prior to washing to both clean the primer pockets and help drain out excess water.
    Cleaning deprimed cases this was is much easier to remove the water. I didn't want to put the bad cases through my sizing die and deprime without removing all the crud first.

I spent most of the weekend sorting and cleaning brass. I purchased a Hornady Sonic Cleaner a few months ago and really like the results.

Once run through the Sonic Cleaner and rinsing in water, I placed them on a baking pan in the oven on a low setting until they were dry. The oven setting was on 150 degrees and it took about 20 minutes. This setting should be comparible to the temp in a dryer. If the OP is experiencing no negative effects after bouncing around in the dryer I would think the oven would not be detrimental as long as low temps are used.

For those that still have concerns about 120-150 degree ovens... let me assure you our ammo igloos and containers in Iraq easily exceeded this for weeks on end with no impact.

If anyone out there is considering a Sonic Cleaner keep this in mind... The Sonic Cleaner gets the burnt powder and dirt out of the cases. It does not replace the polishing action of a tumbler. I still have to tumble the cases that get tarnished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast