Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Sights for Turkey Hunting

What do you guys think of the fiber optic sights that clip or screw onto a vent rib? I see a lot of mixed reviews about them. Am I really at a disadvantage using just the factory front bead? This will be my first year hunting turkeys, and I'd like to keep things simple.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Sights for Turkey Hunting

If you can shoot efectively with just your bead under varying light conditions etc, you're good to go. Main advantage of the "glow" sights is they give you a much easy to see/focus on aiming point. no matter what sight your using make sure you pattern your shotgun with the load you plan to use for the actual hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by flabbydan View Post
    What do you guys think of the fiber optic sights that clip or screw onto a vent rib? I see a lot of mixed reviews about them. Am I really at a disadvantage using just the factory front bead? This will be my first year hunting turkeys, and I'd like to keep things simple.
    I plan on going out with no sights other than the front bead
    Just get comfortable shooting that way if you're not already and you'll be just fine.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmark View Post
    If you can shoot efectively with just your bead under varying light conditions etc, you're good to go. Main advantage of the "glow" sights is they give you a much easy to see/focus on aiming point. no matter what sight your using make sure you pattern your shotgun with the load you plan to use for the actual hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogpupkus View Post
    I plan on going out with no sights other than the front bead
    Just get comfortable shooting that way if you're not already and you'll be just fine.
    I guess I'll try the plain bead and go from there. Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by flabbydan View Post
    I guess I'll try the plain bead and go from there. Thanks!
    The real goal is to pattern your gun. Cheek down on the stock, and the bead on the bird. Nothing changes that, if you change the bead the head sill must be all the way down on the stock. Most important is to pattern the gun at around 30 yards and know where the kill zone is with your gun.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Clinton County)

I have harvested my fair share of turkey with just the front bead sight with white finger nail polish coating. When I bought my first turkey shotgun it game with tru glow rear n front sights. The rear sight would move constantly and did not have an elevation adjustment. I have since replaced those sights with a hs strut ghost ring hi visability rear sight. It works well but on moving targets I dont think it would work so well. I feel a lot depends on what you are comfortable with and what your confortable shooting range at a turkey is. Probably more birds have been taken with the good ole bead over the years. I like the better visability myself of the sight. My 2cents

(Bucks County)

My o/u is short 'cause it was my pappy's it fit his 5'8" frame which included arms that looked like they belonged to Popeye! Dad slipped a recoil boot on the the stock to add some length and it paterned low. I added a clip on FO that nested up against the bead and that brought the POI back to where I needed.

I still missed!