Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry

(Philadelphia County)

Default Appendix carry

So, I've been playing around with my Remora holster and my P228 and noticed that in certain situations, AIWB works well for concealing, but not so much comfort. I can't say I'm surprised considering that's not what the Remora was made for, but does anyone here carry AIWB and what holster do you use?

I'm slim and being so, the clothes I wear are generally tighter fitting and shirts don't fall very far below my belt line. Pretty much any time I bend/sit, my pistol is exposed. Times where I was able to position the Remora properly was extremely comfortable, but as soon as I sat the holster shifted once my thighs pressed the muzzle of the gun upwards. I've read some people switch totally to AIWB once they get used to it, and I can say for sure my draw is faster even in my "make-shift" AIWB holster.

Default Re: Appendix carry

Heres a thread I started a little while back- http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...arry-aiwb.html

I'm kind of in the same position as you. Have a good holster but its not a purpose built AIWB holster. I've been trying it out with what I've got and feel the pros outweigh the cons. I think with a real AIWB holster it could only get better. Theres some links to good AIWB holsters if you scroll down a bit. Sure, theres probably a ton more on the market but these few get some really good reviews from what I've read.

(York County)

Many devotees of AIW, especially if you go over to Warrior Talk forum (Gabe Suarez). Over there, if you don't point it at the pee-pee, they consider you not worth talking to for the most part. I've tried it a couple times and it's probably fast and wonderful, I'm sure. But, it will never be comfortable for me. How the hell do you sit down???? How do you lift your leg to step up or over something? And how do you make friends with the fact that your gun is pointing at your femoral artery or your junk 24/7. Not worth it IMHO. Each to his own. I don't see the need to re-invent the wheel. I know 3:00 and speed rock are dead, but I got a dinosaur tail. I still have laces in my shoes and eat with a fork. I even carry cash! Maybe some day AIW will make sense to me, but it sure don't now.

(Montgomery County)

I AIWB all the time with my MP40c when not pocket carrying my LCR and am still a little on the fence about a clip draw for appendix with the LCR. One of the things about carrying is that a loaded gun will be pointed somewhere 100% of the time and as we go about our daily activities, it is up to us to be sure it is secured well and will not cause an AD or ND.

Now, as far as it being uncomfortable when sitting, driving, etc., that`s all part of carrying. The most comfortable is OC, and if that is not your choice, as it is not mine, then you may have to learn to dress around your weapon as I have learned to do, or, have alternate weapons for different situations.

(Montgomery County)

I started in the very beginning with AIW, and quickly moved on to better things. Its OK for small sized autos, but for me its 1911s and 3:30 works perfecttly for concealed or open carry with my Comp-Tac MTAC.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(Allegheny County)

When I bought my PM9 I bought a Desantis SuperFly with it because I thought I could pocket carry it. I can in some situations but I mainly just rig it up in a AIWB configuration. It's not as secure as my MTAC but it's not bad. I'm a skinny guy but I usually get my shirts a little longer so it is easier to conceal.

Pros:
    Easy to draw(Fast)
    More comfortable when driving
    Don't have to worry about somebody grabbing it from behind you
    You can bend over
    ...and a few more

Cons:
    It's not that secure
    You have to adjust it
    You belt has to be pretty tight
    It's pointing in a "deadly area"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Well, it probably doesnt work to well with a 6" barrel Taurus Wheelgun. Is that a Taurus in your pants or you just happy to see me??

Edit- now that LC9 Henshaw has on the other hand, would probably be perfect.
    Last edited by brownman; March 29th, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    Well, it probably doesnt work to well with a 6" barrel Taurus Wheelgun. Is that a Taurus in your pants or you just happy to see me??
    Now, that would be awkward.

My block...er, Glock 26 is a little too bulky for me to carry AIWB, though I may give it a shot when Raven releases the Vanguard 2 trigger guard holster. (Couple of YouTube videos here and here on the Vanguard 2 trigger guard holster.)

I do carry my Ruger LCP AIWB (either as my primary or as my BUG), either in a belly band or a DeSantis ProStealth holster. I find it more comfortable carrying it in a belly band, but the one I have has the pouches for extra mags located in such a way that with the LCP positioned at 12:30 or 1 o'clock, the pouches are in the small of my back. Might have to look for another belly band that positions the mag pouches more to my liking. Carrying it in the DeSantis ProStealth allows me to conveniently carry an extra mag on the beltline, but the "point" right under the back of the slide digs pretty painfully into my abdomen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast