Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default KelTec problem...

I got mother a KelTec P-32 w/Bulldog holster for Christmas. Nice little setup... She loved it! It was a little stiff, so I took it to the range for a work-out. After about 15-20 rounds it locked up solid. This happened three times that session. Had to do some real brain-work to clear it. What happened was that while firing, the rounds got shaken enough to have the rim of the top round, fell behind the rim of the second round, locking things up solid. I first contacted the factory. They call it "Rimlock". Seems to be frequent enough to get a name. She went back, and I'm still waiting.
    Before I sent it back, I decided to try another type of ammo. I got a box of FIOCCHI 32APHP 60gr. (a little longer)to replace the Speer 32Auto 60gr GDHP's.
    They were long enough to not move back and forth in the mag. I ran off about half a box with no problem. Being happy I went to put things away. I dropped the mag, and racked to clear, but the round wouldn't clear the chamber! Looks like the Fiocchi's were too long?

Two problems in one gun.
    Anybody else have problems with K-T's

(Bucks County)

Default Re: KelTec problem...

KT used to sell or give away a spacer for the magazine to prevent rimlock. I have one in both of my magazines You might want to give them a call.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bucks County)

I own three 1st generation P32's and never had an issue like that. I had a trigger problem but Keltec fixed it by replacing the trigger bar. I fired 100 rounds of silvertips through it without any rimlock. I just carry FMJ in it. Get on KTOG.org and peruse the P32 threads. Lots of guys there to help out. The biggest difference in the generations are the extractors. 1st gens are pinned and the 2nd gens are held in with a screw!
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

I have a Kel tec P11 never a problem within its limitation which is about 15 yards. I'm sure there are some that can shoot it further but I find that its become very hard to shoot accurately past 15 yards. The trigger is a hard DA with each shoot. The functions with jhp and inside it limitations iit performs well its not a goto gun but a light CC when you only have room for a knife sort of a deep cover concealment piece.

Recently I replaced witha SR9C it shoots much better and has the same limits of a full size gun, but its slightly bigger. I'd probably never get rid of the p11 because it still has a need and does its job fell enough.

(Bucks County)

I also have 3 P11's. I never had any issues with any of them. They go bang every time. I carry one in a Fobus holster under a T shirt. It conceals well enough that family can not tell. If I carry something like my S&W 5906, it bulges from underneath a T shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    KT used to sell or give away a spacer for the magazine to prevent rimlock. I have one in both of my magazines You might want to give them a call.
    Try this, you can make your own! http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/flyerwire.htm

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    I also have 3 P11's. I never had any issues with any of them. They go bang every time. I carry one in a Fobus holster under a T shirt. It conceals well enough that family can not tell. If I carry something like my S&W 5906, it bulges from underneath a T shirt.

Try this, you can make your own! http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/flyerwire.htm
    456 - I hear the P11 can use the high capacity mags of the 5900 series Smith. Is that true? Smith mags can be expensive so I never bought one.
    I do like my Kel Tec P11 almost like a 11 shot snub nose.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    456 - I hear the P11 can use the high capacity mags of the 5900 series Smith. Is that true? Smith mags can be expensive so I never bought one.
    I do like my Kel Tec P11 almost like a 11 shot snub nose.
    If you use a S&W 15 rd mag, you will more than likely need to replace the mag spring with a +10% from http://www.gunsprings.com/ Mec gar mags work also, which IMO, are better. You might not have to replace the springs in them. I have a few that work in my P11. You can buy a spacer for the mags to take up the area where the mag hangs below the grip. It makes it look better also. Do not use the long extended 20 rd mecgar mags. They do not work in my P11. I have a lot of these mags, they are mainly for my 5906 and 910's.
    I only use the flush fit mags made for the P11. You can trim the legs on the follower of the P11 mags to get an extra round in it also. You can get a +1 extension for the P11 mags and it gives you one extra round and also gives you a place to put your pinky finger. If you try to put the +! on a 12 rd P11 mag, then you will need to replace the mag spring with a P40 mag spring. The base is different at the bottom and it wont allow the base plate to slip onto the mag. The 15 rd mags make it less easy to conceal
    Last edited by theduke; March 26th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

(Allegheny County)

IMHO, I'd rather have the penetration of the FMJ over the expansion of the JHP in my P32. If your not happy with all FMJ, then try loading the first (or first two) rounds with JHP and the rest with FMJ.
    Toujours prêt

(Jefferson County)

Rimlock..

It is due to too short AOL of the cartridge and the angle of the magazine.

Two fixes:
    1. The spacer thingy
    2. Use longer cartridges that have the fuller ogive profile that resembles FMJ projectiles.

As for the not ejecting properly, some guns weren't designed thoroughly enough to accommodate ejection of a loaded cartridge. You will have to find a happy medium or modify the ejection port to clear a cartridge.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 26th, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!