Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Mayor Douche..I mean Mayor of Allentown Proposes New Gun Plan...

http://wfmz.com/view/?id=221492

The city of Allentown is aiming to reduce violent crime and the number of gunshots in the city. This morning Mayor Ed Pawlowski announced the proposal of a new ordinance that could put those firing a gun in jail. WFMZ's Bo Koltnow will have much more on this story tonight on 69 News at 5:00. If found guilty, the person would be charged with disorderly conduct and face a 90 day jail term and fines. To make sure the perpetrator is caught the city is also planning to install gun detection technology. This would give police an instant location of where shots were fired
    Wow this to me is complete BS and an invasion of privacy. Gun Detection technology? Big Brotheerrrrr......

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Mayor Douche..I mean Mayor of Allentown Proposes New Gun Plan...

Let's go into Allentown and simultaneously set off fire crackers at multiple locations all over the city once they get this installed...

I'd love to see their heads explode as their "gun detection network" lights up :P

(Northampton County)

NM........................

(Lackawanna County)

".....the city of Allentown has also proposed a 1 mill tax increase to pay for the issuance of decoder rings......"

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan42 View Post
    http://wfmz.com/view/?id=221492

Wow this to me is complete BS and an invasion of privacy. Gun Detection technology? Big Brotheerrrrr......
    i think the shot came from over near the walmart.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    i think the shot came from over near the walmart.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Let's go into Allentown and simultaneously set off fire crackers at multiple locations all over the city once they get this installed...

I'd love to see their heads explode as their "gun detection network" lights up :P
    Sounds like fun. We should plan it as a PAFOA group outing, and have a luncheon afterwards.

(Lawrence County)

Anyone have any idea what "gun detection technology" is?? Never heard of that one before.

(Lycoming County)

I believe the detection technology is a series of microphones throughout the city and uses audible triangulation to to locate the reports. The firecracker thing would be an ideal countermeasure

Be safe.

Scott

(Allegheny County)

PAWLOWSKI PROPOSES CRIME FIGHTING MEASURES

Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski is proposing two measures aimed at reducing the incidence of gunplay in the city.

The mayor said today he will ask City Council to amend an ordinance providing a possible prison term for any person who causes the discharge of a firearm anywhere within the city. The mayor also announced his intention to employ gun detection technology to quicken police response to gunshot incidents.

Under the proposed gun discharge measure, a person would be guilty of disorderly conduct for discharging a firearm. Conviction before a district justice could result in a prison term of up to 90 days.

“We need to send a message that any kind of gunplay on the streets of Allentown is totally unacceptable. Violators will learn that there is a stiff price to pay for such lawlessness,” the mayor said.

The measure provides for a fine of up to $1,000 for each offense plus restitution for damages to person or properties suffered by a victim or the prison term. Each discharge constitutes a separate and distinct offense. Sentences shall be imposed for each offense and may not run concurrently but must run consecutively to each other

“We need the legal mechanism to get these people off the streets,” said Pawlowski. “We

don’t need people in Allentown who endanger others by randomly firing a weapon. We feel they should forfeit their freedom,” the mayor added.

There are exceptions to the ordinance. Children’s toys and starter pistols, all when used in the proper manner, are exempt. Discharges of firearms by law enforcement officers or military personnel acting in the line of duty or doing training exercises and ceremonies are not considered a violation. Hunting and activities regulated by the Game and Wild Life Code of Pennsylvania and discharges at legally permitted firing ranges are also permissible. Discharge is also permitted in defense of human life or the residence or place of business of the person discharging the firearm. The Chief of Police may also grant special permits for discharges at military funerals or similar ceremonies or other special events.

“Reports of gun discharges come at a substantial cost of police time and resources,” said Pawlowski. “Our investigation of these reports rarely produces an intended victim. We hope that the threat of jail time will reduce the number of gun shot incidents in the city, the mayor added.

A similar measure was adopted by Lancaster City Council this summer. The Lancaster measure includes a mandatory 90 day prison term and a mandatory $500 fine upon conviction.

The gun detection technology would be used in conjunction with Allentown’s new camera system and is able to triangulate the location of a gunshot within seconds. The information can be used to dispatch police to the scene even before reports of gunshots are phoned into the communications center. Cities across the United States are employing the technology. It is credited with leading to a dozen arrests and the seizure of a dozen guns in Minneapolis.

Allentown Police Department officials have seen the technology at work in Washington, D.C. “We think it will be an effective tool for the department,” said Chief Roger MacLean. “It resulted in an arrest in a homicide shortly after it was initially deployed.”

“We have worked diligently to restructure the city’s finances over the last two years. Now that our fiscal house is in order, we will employ a full court press on increasing public safety,” said Pawlowski. “We hope the threat of prison terms and faster police response times will further discourage people from gun violence.”
    Another classic blame guns game.
    Notice Red line, its credited with dozens of arrest, well how many were convictions? Philly get lots of arrest, for gun law violations, yet few convictions per number of arrest and even less jail time served for the few convictions they do get. So Allentown has got in "fiscal house in order" probably raised taxes, now it want to spend money to play big brother....... another waste of resources, that doesn't deal with the problems of crime and criminals. Love all of these lines of ONE example they credit to techonlogy always soon after it was first installed, gee how did the police solve any crimes in yesteryear without all the bat man gadgets that solve everything by magic.

It was done with old fashion community police walking a beat and police officers taking a interest in their work, they watched out for the community and knew people by their names.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast