Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Changing barrel on a Remmington help

Anyone change a barrel on a 740 woodsman ........ (or any other 700 series rife,Heard thry are very similar .......

Gunsmith .....

Kitchen table gunsmith ........

With some regular good DIY'er tools and common sence gunsmithing knowledge ......

Throw it in a vise and use a monkey wrench ......

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Changing barrel on a Remmington help

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Anyone change a barrel on a 740 woodsman ........ (or any other 700 series rife,Heard thry are very similar .......

Gunsmith .....

Kitchen table gunsmith ........

With some regular good DIY'er tools and common sence gunsmithing knowledge ......

Throw it in a vise and use a monkey wrench ......

Thanks in advance
    I haven't changed a barrel on a Remington 740. I'm not a gunsmith, so I don't know all the specifics of the Remington 740 action. My buddy is a gunsmith and I've helped him build my Remington 700 and learned a lot of the particulars on it. I can tell you that just because a rifle bears some sort of "700 series" designation, doesn't mean that they're the same. I know for a fact the 710, 770, and 760 are all very different from the Remington 700. The 740 is a semi auto rifle, which is very different from the bolt action Remington 700 series that I'm talking about in the link I'm going to post. So the particulars will be different, and the prices will be different.

I can tell you that the new barrel will need to have a chamber to spec, and will need to headspace properly. I'm not familiar with how the barrel attaches and fits to the action, so that may or may not include threading it and headspacing it like a Remington 700. It may attach to the action a little differently, and it may be as simple as bumping a to the right place. What I can tell you is that it most likely will NOT be something that you can do yourself. Even if you have enough "common sense gunsmithing knowledge", you probably don't have the tools to do it to the tolerances necessary, or the gauges to double check and make sure that it is. I can also tell you that it's probably going to be more expensive than you want to spend. Anyway, whoever told you that the Remington 700 rifle is similar to a 740 was probably mistaken. Here's a little bit of detail on what it takes to do it properly on a Remington 700, and to do it with accuracy in mind. It's not exactly the same, but you'll kind of have a bit of an idea of what you might be getting into.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/150...ngton-mag.html << It's the 4th post down the page. Hope this helps a little

(Bucks County)

I thank you for the info and the redirection to your post ...... I am assuming that with a barrel blank it's a true gunsmith job ..... was shopping today for a inexpensive 740 that I want to convert to a 25-06 .....

(Berks County)

I found this pretty good page on the Remington 740,742 and 7400 series rifles.

Link here: http://http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Remington_7407427400.htm

Looks like the 740 was only made from 1955 to 1959 and parts are pretty much non-existant today. It was never offered in .25-06 from what I read there.

It would be a lot of expense to have a barrel custom made for it. If it works, and is clean, I would consider selling it and getting what you want.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

What I was going to do was get an older (2) 30-06 740 pump or 760 auto ....... They are a good foundation ....... avalble cheap ..... well ..... make a homemade set up's so to speak ...... I have shot a 25-06 for years ...... It'll take on any North American game ..... Bear good shot down or bad might just piss him off ...... tons of brass (necked 30-06)....... and well hell a AR is a little expensive and also another caliper in the stable ..... Just basiclly dreaming ....... Who knows might hit the nail on the head with one ....... never know .....

Thanks for the come backs and I am searching for some old .257 heavy blanks ...... Hmmmm