Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Question .30-06 Reloading OAL, cannelure, & crimp

A friend and I are starting some .30-06 reloading after learning the process doing .40S&W and I was hoping someone could set me straight about two items:

1) The reloading manual we're using (Lymans) says that the OAL of .30-06 is 3.34" and lists no tolerance so I'm assuming that's a max OAL, but is there a minimum? We're using Hornady Interlock bullets, 180gr and these bullets have a cannelure. However if we load them to an OAL of 3.34", the cannelure is substantially outside the rim of the neck. I measured some factory load PMC ammo that has happens to have a cannelure and the OAL is more along the lines of 3.12". If I were to seat the bullet further into the case such that the cannelure is at the rim, that would make the OAL of my reloads around 3.15". Since the bullet has a cannelure, should I use it even though it's shorter than the OAL? We're reloading these for practice and hunting so we aren't trying to create any sort of match loads or high-performance precision load.

2) This is probably dependent on #1, but is there a tolerance on the neck diameter? The manual lists a neck diameter of .340" however the brass starting out has a neck diameter of around .338" and after we run it through the crimping die it's .332". This is without the rim of the neck in the cannelure and I don't perceive any real crimp. As in #1, measuring some factory loads shows a neck diameter of less than .340" in every round I measured so I'm assuming .340" is a max and there's some minimum?

Any advice and knowledge would be appreciated. If it matters, the reloading dies are Dillon.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: .30-06 Reloading OAL, cannelure, & crimp

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...pringfield.pdf
    This site is the reference for saami specs. All cartridge and chamber dimensions are listed and are industry standard. The newer trend has been for each manufacturer to list loads specific for their particular products. This was not common when many of us started to reload, so using the saami specs was a part of building loads. An example is the COL that is listed 2.940 min to 3.340 max. With proper length cases the bullet should be set in to use the cannelure for standard loads. Always use standard procedure of starting with minimum loads and work up.

link saami rifle cartridges: http://www.saami.org/specifications_...wnload/206.pdf
    Last edited by cephas; March 24th, 2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: link
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Butler County)

Ah, nice. I didn't know all of the SAAMI specs were published in downloadable form online. This answers my tolerance questions and you helped with the cannelure issue, so thanks! Rep inbound.

(Somerset County)

I wouldn't worry about crimping the 30-06. I only crimp handgun rounds and rounds like the 32 Spl that are used in a tubular magazine. If you do crimp, you need to seat so that you're crimping into the cannelure. Be careful you don't get too much crimp as this will bulge the case neck and they won't chamber.

For hunting, I want absolute reliability in feeding from the mag and chambering. I start with the COAL listed. After I settle on a bullet and powder charge, then I may shorten the load a bit to see what happens to the groups.

Dale

(Lycoming County)

Bullet set back can occur with rifle cartridges under recoil in vertical box type magazines , under recoil , the rifle moves rearward and the cartridges want to stay in place which drives the bullet tip against the front of the magazine . I have a Lee factory crimp die set up in the tool heads for 5.56 , 7.62 , and the old 06 in my 650 . They're not expensive , easy to set up , and they duplicate the factory crimp into the cannelure of the bullet better than the standard taper crimp dies .

(Pike County)

Set-back is only an issue in a repeater, and takes a pretty loose crimp to be an issue whether the bullet has a cannelure or not. Not sure what type of rifle the OP is loading for, or the application ...

For more detail on loading the 30-06 than you could ever need try this site:
    http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/

(Butler County)

I've been doing a lot more reading on this and I appreciate the additional info from everyone. I have seen The Rifleman's Journal before and I'm looking there again. The application is target practice and, if they prove accurate enough, deer hunting in several bolt-action rifles although I really like using Hornady SST. It sounds like I can skip the crimping die step altogether for sure. I'll seat the bullet so the cannelure is just in front of the neck which will be within the OAL tolerances for the round.

Also I have 3 06 rifles what you will learn is to fire seal the brass so after de priming the brass you only neck size and set the round. Then I reload in batches for each rifle you would think that reloading for either rifle would be the same but what you find is that each rifle chamber is slightly different and loading a 30-06 round in a different rifle it will fit but not as smooth as it does out of the rifle that fired it. This effects accuracy and smooth loading.
    By only neck sizing the brass you place less stress on it and it last longer and gets better groups.