Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Hunting with ATVs

who would like to see the game commission open certain gamelands to atvs? i think they could be used as another tool for hunting, getting tree stands in and out ect...i know alot of people dont like them, but i think you would see alot of people buying a license that have trouble walking to far to get to a spot....opinions? right now the max i walk in is 1 mile, i am not dragging any animal any further then that. i wouldnt mind being able to get to some spots that i wouldnt go walking.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Hunting with ATVs

I would like to use my ATV just for getting into places far from roads with a stand and to get animals out. I am cautious of opening game lands up to everyone because there are always the minority that will ruin it for everyone else but I see the value to use an ATV as a modern day pack horse.

(Somerset County)

I'm sure our resident WCO will chime in if I'm wrong but I believe handicapped hunters (those that can't walk far among other things) can get a permit to use them, same as they can use their regular vehicle.

Rant on

As for the rest of the hunters, keep those noisy, smelly, erosion causing, solitude destroying, pieces of mechanical crap out of the woods! The exercise will do you good. Can't lug your treestand? Hunt from the ground, that has worked for years.

Rant off

Dale

I'll pass.
    There are provisions for people with disabilities to be able to hunt with ATV's.
    The rest of us need to man up and hunt.

I am OK with the game commission opening larger gamelands that have access roads (as the DCNR does on state forests) so hunters can get their vehicles in deeper during designated seasons, but not ATV's.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Carbon County)

years ago the game commission used to ride up and down the main road that cuts through the top of the gameland, i think its 7 miles long. they would let you put your deer or bear and they would drive it to the main parking lot for you. since that has stopped, i will not go any further then 1 mile in. i would like to get to some of the big swamps 3 miles in. i dont see why they cant open some gates to drive back...the road is huge and dry. like i said, as the older generation gets older and the younger are not hunting, they will need to make changes. the trails they do have open for handicap are not everywhere, there are not many at all. the closest one i know from me are in bradford county.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I'll pass.
    There are provisions for people with disabilities to be able to hunt with ATV's.

I am OK with the game commission opening larger gamelands that have access roads (as the DCNR does on state forests) so hunters can get their vehicles in deeper during designated seasons, but not ATV's.

I agree! Great Post!

I'll pass.
    I also agree with this...and this is coming from someone who has a ATV.

If we're going to allow one type of vehicle on fire roads it might as well extend to ATV's and side by sides. We already register our machines with the DCNR for use on various trail systems. One reason why I can justify this is because SUV's & trucks far outweigh any recreational vehicles and using them on unimproved roads could cause more damage than a recreational vehicle. Not to mention some of these roads are not wide enough to get two full size vehicles to pass each other or even to park. With that said...anyone who operates their ATV anywhere beyond the designated road should face a hefty fine if this gets permitted to do.

I use mine on private property with permission, but it stays in the truck unless I absolutely need it. Even then I don't stray from the logging road, I'm still capable of dragging a deer through the woods, and I sure don't need it to get to my stand and it is a several hundred yard walk to get to. I have also helped out a fellow hunter or two who have bagged deer so they weren't dragging for hours on end.

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    If we're going to allow one type of vehicle on fire roads it might as well extend to ATV's and side by sides. We already register our machines with the DCNR for use on various trail systems. One reason why I can justify this is because SUV's & trucks far outweigh any recreational vehicles and using them on unimproved roads could cause more damage than a recreational vehicle. Not to mention some of these roads are not wide enough to get two full size vehicles to pass each other or even to park. With that said...anyone who operates their ATV anywhere beyond the designated road should face a hefty fine if this gets permitted to do.

The reason I mention on road vehicles is because I hunt many areas from state forests, timber company, private, and SGL, and they all allow trucks, etc, because the roads are generally improved roads to handle logging, etc.
    The hunters in my experience have always been respectful they all pull over where possible to let others pass, and they don’t barrel ass down the roads (I don’t know anyone that would unless they like to fix their trucks or slide down a MT side.). I would not say opening grass fire roads to vehicular traffic would be a good idea for the reasons you mention.

Besides who would want the take their ATV 5 miles down a forest road when they can pile their buddies into their suv.

Again I’m referring to large SGL’s with proper access, particularly where there is little public access, and thousands of virtually unhunted acres.
    Last edited by God's Country; March 25th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

The rest of us need to man up and hunt..
    Can I get an AMEN?!?!?!?!?
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

(Bucks County)

I hunt in SGL 127. I have had to get off the old railroad grade and some of the other trails to avoid being runover by kids (and sometimes their parents) screaming down the trail on ATV's. None of these people were hunting, scouting or setting or removing treestands.

I think if the SGL were open to ATV's even if it were only during hunting seasons, people would turn it into an off-road park due to the very limited places available to ride them.

I am not against ATV's. I am an avid ATV rider and travel frequently to ride. My house backs up to SGL 127. It would be awesome to be able to load my treestand on my quad and drive it 5 miles deep. But I think it wouldn't be long before the peace, quiet and serenity of the woods would be peirced with the screaming sound of the 2 strokers racing down the railroad grade.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast