Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Nagants and Windex

Is it necessary to disassemble the bolt and spray it with ammonia or is just spraying it down the barrel sufficient after shooting corossive ammo?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Nagants and Windex

Windex (ammonia) isn't necessary at all. Just flush the bore and bolt with hot water to dissolve the corrosive salts, dry with a patch, clean with your favorite cleaner if desired and then oil it. The water in Windex does more good than the ammonia.

A tip I learned on another forum: use a turkey baster to get the hot water down the bore. Lot less scalding yourself that way!

Or you could use any modern cleaning solvent (Hoppes #9) and skip the drowning portion completely.

Some guys like to do it the hard way (which is fine), and some like to live in this century.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    Or you could use any modern cleaning solvent (Hoppes #9) and skip the drowning portion completely.

Some guys like to do it the hard way (which is fine), and some like to live in this century.
    Considering that the ingredient Hoppes claims works on corrosive salts is ammonia, I suppose as long as you use enough of it to flush the salts out since - as I mentioned above - ammonia does diddly to "neutralize" salts, I suppose it would be fine. Of course water is cheaper, but whatever works for you.
    Last edited by thebearpack; March 24th, 2012 at 06:24 PM.

(Bradford County)

I ended up getting a bottle of "sweet's 7.62 solvent" or something like that before I realized what exactly "corrosive ammo" was. I'll still use the stuff for something, maybe. Or keep it as a trophy of why you don't trust even the nicest people blindly.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Windex (ammonia) isn't necessary at all. Just flush the bore and bolt with hot water to dissolve the corrosive salts, dry with a patch, clean with your favorite cleaner if desired and then oil it. The water in Windex does more good than the ammonia.

A tip I learned on another forum: use a turkey baster to get the hot water down the bore. Lot less scalding yourself that way!
    The turkey baster is a good idea actually. I usually just use a long stemmed automotive funnel personally.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    The turkey baster is a good idea actually. I usually just use a long stemmed automotive funnel personally.
    I always used a funnel too and always wound up making a mess. The baster was such a simple idea... wish I could take credit for it.

(Erie County)

Screw the nozzle off your sink rince hose and hold it to the muzzle, turn on the hot water and let it run until you cant hold it any longer because of the heat. The gun dries almost immediately. You may want to hold the butt over a bucket. Best to do when the little woman isn't around!

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
    Screw the nozzle off your sink rince hose and hold it to the muzzle, turn on the hot water and let it run until you cant hold it any longer because of the heat. The gun dries almost immediately. You may want to hold the butt over a bucket. Best to do when the little woman isn't around!
    That would be almost instantly here... I have a 1.5 gallon water heater not 2 feet away from the hot feed of the kitchen sink.

When I break open the can of surplus ammo I got, I'll def try this out tho.

Do you have to clean the bolt too on a bolt-action (not semi) rifle?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Is it necessary to disassemble the bolt and spray it with ammonia or is just spraying it down the barrel sufficient after shooting corossive ammo?
    Original question still unanswered. Hot water or windex......do I need to get it inside the bolt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast