Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Caught my father-in-law looking at a Hi-Point today

For the last 6 months I've been trying to help my father-in-law along toward his first handgun purchase. He owns several firearms which were passed down to him ages ago, but he has recently taken an interest in home defense and has been trying to figure out exactly what he wants, and how to work it into the budget. Today I took him to the Split Rock show, we separated at one point so I could take my son to the bathroom. Upon our return I nearly fell over as I saw him handling a Hi-Point. He even called me over to show it to me asking if I knew anything about them because he liked the price.

For all the SERIOUS Hi-Point lovers on here (are there any?), I'm sorry to say I advised him to put it down and look at other stuff.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Caught my father-in-law looking at a Hi-Point today

Hi-Points. Inexpensive. Heavy. Ugly. You either love them or hate them.

They work. If anything ever goes wrong with it, return it to Hi-Point and they'll repair it for free, even if you're its sixth owner.

I like mine. I OC with it. If I flick the safety off and pull the trigger, it'll go BANG every time.

Don't confuse inexpensive with cheap. Hi-Points are built to take a beating, and still work.

(Cumberland County)

I've never owned a Hi-Point pistol, but hard to hear anyone say anything bad about reliability ! As mentioned, ugly and heavy, but I hear they go bang every time ! I do own a Hi-Point 995 rifle, never had an ounce of problem with it. Although I'd probably never buy the pistol, If that's what he wants, I wouldn't be too worried

(Indiana County)

Oh, after a thousand rounds or two, you might want to take it apart for a thorough cleaning, or not. They're not picky.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Oh, after a thousand rounds or two, you might want to take it apart for a thorough cleaning, or not. They're not picky.
    an endorsement like an american ak......can you lose for the money, seriously?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    For the last 6 months I've been trying to help my father-in-law along toward his first handgun purchase. He owns several firearms which were passed down to him ages ago, but he has recently taken an interest in home defense and has been trying to figure out exactly what he wants, and how to work it into the budget. Today I took him to the Split Rock show, we separated at one point so I could take my son to the bathroom. Upon our return I nearly fell over as I saw him handling a Hi-Point. He even called me over to show it to me asking if I knew anything about them because he liked the price.

For all the SERIOUS Hi-Point lovers on here (are there any?), I'm sorry to say I advised him to put it down and look at other stuff.
    Well that sucks. Sounds like he could have been prepared with a reliable firearm he could afford, to defend himself and his home today, but you talked him out of being prepared.

Or am I missing something?
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Allegheny County)

Maybe he just needs eye glasses.

(Chester County)

Only thing negative about Hi-Point pistols for concealed carry is the size and weight. Read up about them on the internet, Hi-Points work.
    If you're not wealthy, and you want to at least have a gun in your nightstand, why not? The next step up the food chain for $100 more is Kel-Tec. U.S. Made, similar lifetime warranty. (cue the Kel-Tec haters)

(Lackawanna County)

Well, thank god you stopped from looking at an American made gun that has a reputation for being affordable and reliable.

(Blair County)

IMO, if all he wants a firearm for is home defense, he'd probably be better off getting a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 (used if necessary). Not much beats 00 buckshot for home defense.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast