Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Caught my father-in-law looking at a Hi-Point today

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    You're actually doing nothing but furthering the unfounded dislike and unpopularity of a firearm you know nothing about. Perhaps that's the cause of it being the butt of internet jokes? Too many people with opinions on things they don't know anything about? If I knew nothing about a firearm, I'd leave it at that and not pass judgement based on internet jokes or popularity. I personally try to only have opinions on firearms which I have actual knowledge of or experience with.
    I really don't see how. Being the only person he is actively looking to for advice, I advised him to look at products which I was more familiar with. He nor I were willing to take the opinion of a vendor at a gun show just trying to move product. I certainly did not stop a purchase from taking place. He is not the type of person to spend six months doing his own research to end up buying something on a whim because it was cheap. Thanks to those who were willing to provide actual input in this thread, I can now send him an IM and say maybe those Hi-Points are worth taking another look at.

As for my list of things that I do know about Hi-Point, they are factual statements. They are the butt of many jokes, whether or not the jokes are well founded does not change that. They are cheap, can't argue that. They are ugly as hell, that is subjective to opinion I suppose. I think Glocks are ugly as hell but I own and carry one daily.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    I really don't see how. Being the only person he is actively looking to for advice, I advised him to look at products which I was more familiar with. He nor I were willing to take the opinion of a vendor at a gun show just trying to move product. I certainly did not stop a purchase from taking place. He is not the type of person to spend six months doing his own research to end up buying something on a whim because it was cheap. Thanks to those who were willing to provide actual input in this thread, I can now send him an IM and say maybe those Hi-Points are worth taking another look at.

As for my list of things that I do know about Hi-Point, they are factual statements. They are the butt of many jokes, whether or not the jokes are well founded does not change that. They are cheap, can't argue that. They are ugly as hell, that is subjective to opinion I suppose. I think Glocks are ugly as hell but I own and carry one daily.
    You did the exact same thing I do, which is reccommend something you have experiance with. When I take a noob for a first time purchase I let them pick what they like first, then they will start asking for my input. I'll either give them a ya or nea based on my experiance and then reccommend something that I am familiar with.

I can honestly say I never reccommended a hi-point and never will, IMO they are a waste of money unless it's all you can really afford. If that's the case I'd reccommend putting a gun on layaway, there are plenty of good quality used guns in the 300.00-400.00 range.

And yes I had a hi-point and it was crap.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    [B][I]In my opinion, the hate towards Hi-point is generally unfounded.
    however my dislike of that dude with the glasses, is well-founded. that is the guy from "gun store gripes", no? if it isnt, well, i am wrong and dont dislike him....

(Lebanon County)

*sigh* the HP wars continue .. and yes I do own one and mine isn't crap
    But I can tell you I owned a cheap Chevy once and it was crap .. so I'll never recommend one to anyone ...

/bug

(Lawrence County)

My Hi-poo runs perfectly. Never had a malf...even lubed in Crisco and covered in cat litter. My Glock has more malfs, but it has a about 5000 more rounds on it....

Anyhow, they're top heavy and ugly. The only reason I wouldn't carry one is that they have the worlds worst trigger. Really. The worst.

They are, however, a PERFECT niche gun for stashing in a tackle box, boat or out of the way location where you don't want to leave a high dollar handgun. Contrary to popular belief, I simply don't carry a firearm with me all the time.......

So, nah, not great for carry, but it has it's place.

Lycanhonestthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Great article on the hi point c9. Probably the best $150 handgun ever made. I wish every handgun manufacturer offered the same customer service & warranty that Hi Point does.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hi-p...ood-cheap-gun/

(Erie County)

Hi-points are a good deal for the money. But yes, I think Nerf puts better triggers on their guns.
    I may pick one up for a range gun in 9mm.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post

I can honestly say I never reccommended a hi-point and never will, IMO they are a waste of money unless it's all you can really afford. If that's the case I'd reccommend putting a gun on layaway, there are plenty of good quality used guns in the 300.00-400.00 range.

And yes I had a hi-point and it was crap.
    ^ This.

Just because a gun is reliable, doesn't mean it isn't crap. I could probably rattle off at least a dozen firearms that in theory function "fine" but are still shit. Whether its the trigger, weight, or a combination of general build quality - lousy ergonomics, or other things that make it suck more than something else. That's reality. I'm not a gun snob either. I don't have thousands to pour into firearms. But some things just aren't worth wasting ANY money on.

If you want to do your FIL a favor, dig through the classifieds here and find him something reasonable but better than a HiPoint...
    Maybe a snubbie. Or a Kel-tec. I'd take almost* anything instead.

A gun is a gun to some. I'm not that guy either. I want the best I can afford. And often aim for firearms that offer a lot for the money.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    ^ This.

Just because a gun is reliable, doesn't mean it isn't crap. I could probably rattle off at least a dozen firearms that in theory function "fine" but are still shit. Whether its the trigger, weight, or a combination of general build quality - lousy ergonomics, or other things that make it suck more than something else. That's reality. I'm not a gun snob either. I don't have thousands to pour into firearms. But some things just aren't worth wasting ANY money on.

If you want to do your FIL a favor, dig through the classifieds here and find him something reasonable but better than a HiPoint...
    Maybe a snubbie. Or a Kel-tec. I'd take almost* anything instead.

A gun is a gun to some. I'm not that guy either. I want the best I can afford. And often aim for firearms that offer a lot for the money.

I don't know of any other handgun that offers more for money spent than a Hi Point. Here's what you get for your $150;

A reliable handgun that goes bang every time.

A handgun that has no problem handling +P+ ammo.

A handgun that is average accurate.

A handgun that will take a heck of a lot of abuse , needs very little maintenance & still continues to function.

A handgun that if dropped out of an airplane at 15k feet , or found at the bottom of a lake where it sat for 10 years will still have a 100% replacement warranty.

A handgun that has been owned by a 100 different people & still has a 100% replacement warranty.

A customer service department that is that is as good & probably far superior than any other handgun manufacturer world wide.

A handgun that is made 100% with American materials, by American workers.
    Last edited by triplebike; March 25th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    I don't know of any other handgun that offers more for money spent than a Hi Point. Here's what you get for your $150;

A reliable handgun that goes bang every time.

A handgun that has no problem handling +P+ ammo.

A handgun that is average accurate.

A handgun that will take a heck of a lot of abuse , needs very little maintenance & still continues to function.

A handgun that if dropped out of an airplane at 15k feet , or found at the bottom of a lake where it sat for 10 years will still have a 100% replacement warranty.

A handgun that has been owned by a 100 different people & still has a 100% replacement warranty.

A customer service department that is that is as good & probably far superior than any other handgun manufacturer world wide.

A handgun that is made 100% with American materials, by American workers.
    When your selling guns for 150.00 you better have a good customer service because it probably gets used alot.

I don't buy guns based on the fact that the CS is great, I buy guns based on quality so I don't have to send it back.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast