Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Caught my father-in-law looking at a Hi-Point today

Quote Originally Posted by cake0110 View Post
    "Everyone is entitled to their opinion" is such a load of crap. In a true or false statement such as "Hi-points are worth owning..." there is a right answer and a wrong answer. There's no gray area open for interpretation just because you don't feel like debating your side of the argument.

That being said, there's also no reason to get overly emotional about the people who disagree with you. I haven't attacked anybody's character for saying they'd buy a Hi-point. I haven't said they were less of a person for it. I simply said they were wrong. Which I think they are. You're the one calling me a snob and egotistical and stepping outside of the point/counterpoint involved in an intelligent debate.

There's nothing wrong with a civilized debate. It's when you break it down to name calling that it ceases to be constructive, no matter which side you're on. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, and strongly believing in their stance, it might be time to quit the interwebs.
    I agree with this as well and I'll add to it. Buy what you want or can afford and if someone don't agree with you then don't get bent out of shape and start throwing the gun snob BS around.

I have been down the road of buying certain guns just because that's all I could afford, thankfully those days are over and now I buy guns based on what I like not what I can afford.

Not directed at you cake, just added my own take.

(Lycoming County)

1) When I consider purchasing anything I review it on the web.

2) Then I listen to what others have regarding that specific item.

3) I look to see what others are using of this item.

4) I look at all varieties in the stores so I can see what they look like and how they feel in the hand (in the case of a firearm).

5) I compare designs when researching items with more than one.

1A) I do know the reviews of those who have either have/had one or those who know of someone who has either have/had one are very, very mixed.

2A) Up to this thread I have not heard any of you, either those in favor of or those against, claim they have one or carry one in all the postings on the PAFOA. I have heard all of you mention Glock, SA, Berettta, Kimber, Colt, Ruger, etc .... - but up to right now none has talked one iota about their Hi-Point.

3A) In my travels I have not seen anyone using a Hi-Point as their EDC or have one at the range.

4A) I have not found a single one, new or used, on a shelf at a firearms store.

5A) This is a blowback design which has not been successful in the history of the firearm. (It is not even mentioned on "Tales of the Gun!!)

So, I am sorry but using all these and especially #2A I do not see the positives in this firearm for any reason except for those that absolutely cannot afford anything else and cannot wait for a layaway plan to run its course.

Buy one out of intrigue and check it out and let us know.

But #2A is looming large in my research of this firearm.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Beaver County)

Ok, I guess I'll toss in my $.02 in here since this seems to be one of the hottest threads on PAFOA for some reason.

I have had hands on and history with both a High Point C9 and the 9mm carbine.
    My Fiancé, when we were 1st dating, had moved out on her own after living with someone else.
    She had very little spare money and no guns for protection so she decided to get a HighPoint C9 for a mere $125 otd.
    Now, granted, this is before we knew a ton about guns and my collection was a whopping 2 guns (an SKS & a Ruger P97).
    We went to the range to practice several times a week for weeks on end.
    We shot all sorts of 9mm from it including HP rounds... all in all, well over 1k rounds.
    The ONLY malf it had was when a friend of ours limp wristed it once and it stovepiped.
    It wasn't cleaned regularly and became filthy... But it never stopped running.
    She kept it for years and years until she became more into guns and fell in love with a Springfield XD.
    She sold the HighPoint to help fund the purchase of her own XD but had no ill will towards it.
    I also had a carbine by them that was flawless but that's off topic to the handguns.
    At any rate, I'm pretty convinced that they are good little guns that seem to work for the long haul.
    Personally, I would recommend a Ruger or Taurus over them, for a budget-minded person, but if the HighPoint is all they can afford, it will fit the bill.
    It's all perspective and I'm all for someone that wants to get into the sport... regardless of budget.
    Some people can only afford McDonalds... some people can afford Outback Steakhouse.

(Berks County)

just to clarify my last post- i wanst speaking about any ONE indvidual in this thread, it was more a generalization of the negative attitudes and inaccurate stereotypes...

i am miffed at what is so hard to understand about this pistols:

- they shoot.
    - they feed anything.
    - they are accurate.
    - minimal maint.
    - dont have to baby them.
    - lifetime warranty.

thats a pretty damn good list of attributes to have backing your firearm... im not so sure people can comprehend that.

and i understand others NOT wanting the pistol(s) because of their looks/feel, because i wholeheartedly agree with those opinions... but as for functionality from a weapons standpoint; its more than fine.

you need not read more than the FIRST PAGE of this thread to get the truth about these weapons... plain and simple.
    Last edited by Jasper QST; March 28th, 2012 at 09:46 AM.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    1A) I do know the reviews of those who have either have/had one or those who know of someone who has either have/had one are very, very mixed.

2A) Up to this thread I have not heard any of you, either those in favor of or those against, claim they have one or carry one in all the postings on the PAFOA. I have heard all of you mention Glock, SA, Berettta, Kimber, Colt, Ruger, etc .... - but up to right now none has talked one iota about their Hi-Point.

3A) In my travels I have not seen anyone using a Hi-Point as their EDC or have one at the range.

4A) I have not found a single one, new or used, on a shelf at a firearms store.

5A) This is a blowback design which has not been successful in the history of the firearm. (It is not even mentioned on "Tales of the Gun!!)

So, I am sorry but using all these and especially #2A I do not see the positives in this firearm for any reason except for those that absolutely cannot afford anything else and cannot wait for a layaway plan to run its course.

Buy one out of intrigue and check it out and let us know.

But #2A is looming large in my research of this firearm.

God bless!!

PPP
    There are posts on the PAFOA of people who have carried Hi-Points. I'm too lazy to dig them up right now, but they are there.

Blowback design is very common and has been effective....like the Glock 28.

Lycanjustsayingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper QST View Post
    and i understand others NOT wanting the pistol(s) because of their looks/feel, because i wholeheartedly agree with those opinions... but as for functionality from a weapons standpoint; its more than fine.
    I never debated the fact they did or did not work.

I simply stated for a little more money there were far better choices making the HiPoint not worth most people's time.

I was actually specific on more than one occasion about all the things that bother me about the gun and why it is a lousy choice when compared to other inexpensive firearms.

Unless the owner of HiPoint firearms is your father. I continue to fail to understand why you guys are coming out of the wood work about what is basically a crappy firearm.

As stated earlier, function alone doesn't mean it isn't a fairly large, heavy hunk O' shit. With garbage capacity, sub par ergonomics, and a fuck-tastic trigger. If that's all you can afford - so be it. It's better than nothing.

But I'd be searching for used guns long before I'd pony up my money at a counter for a HiPoint. There are surplus hand guns I would rather have over this. All those CZ-82's floating around for $200. At least when I had more money to dedicate to a more suitable means of protection I could toss some schweet wood grips on the CZ and have something neat to own or work on.

We live in a world where guns are pretty prevalent. This isn't a matter of choice A, choice B, or choice C.

With a little investigating, I'm sure anyone could turn up something more suitable for similar money. That was my point. And that isn't going to change. No matter how much you, and a few others like you whine like little girls that I, ARJ, cake, and a few others are "being mean".

(Berks County)

Talking Re: Caught my father-in-law looking at a Hi-Point today

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I never debated the fact they did or did not work.

I simply stated for a little more money there were far better choices making the HiPoint not worth most people's time.

I was actually specific on more than one occasion about all the things that bother me about the gun and why it is a lousy choice when compared to other inexpensive firearms.

Unless the owner of HiPoint firearms is your father. I continue to fail to understand why you guys are coming out of the wood work about what is basically a crappy firearm.

As stated earlier, function alone doesn't mean it isn't a fairly large, heavy hunk O' shit. With garbage capacity, sub par ergonomics, and a fuck-tastic trigger. If that's all you can afford - so be it. It's better than nothing.

We live in a world where guns are pretty prevalent. This isn't a matter of choice A, choice B, or choice C.

With a little investigating, I'm sure anyone could turn up something more suitable for similar money. That was my point. And that isn't going to change. No matter how much you, and a few others like you whine like little girls that I, ARJ, cake, and a few others are "being mean".

says the guy with an AK as his signature...

ok dude, you got me.. im sure you opted for that AK because of its "amazing looks, feel, trigger, and weight"... and had nothing to do with price or funtionality... im sure its all because of those aforementioned reasons. totally.

and i didnt say anything about you "being mean"... you think YOU'RE the first "MAN" i've run into on a message board who thinks his opinions are facts?? sorry if YOU'RE the one who went on the offensive trying to smear a perfectly good weapons name and reputation and its price point for ANOTHER PERSONS INTEREST in it (ahhhhhh'hem, did ya catch that, Slick? another person, key term there, not being you)...

but then again, this is the interwebz... so try and not get your shiny new ergonomic pistol all jammed up (aka you're panties in a bunch)

haters gonna hate.

(York County)

I had a Hi Point .45. I sold it. Now I kinda miss it. Likewise a friend had the same gun. He sold his to some younger guy who was gonna use it for home defense. He sorta questioned me after he did and said "Who would use that for home defense.." I said. Well. It's reliable. Throws .45. And it's better than anything else you can get for the same money which is basically... Nothing.

I do believe the .45 are the best bang for the buck Hi Points. But just me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    I've only held a HP once and it was really heavy.

I guess I'm too much of a wimp to own one.
    I would surmise you could be correct.

Hold a full weight 1911 once.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post

A handgun that is made 100% with American materials, by American workers.
    Correct. It's your duty as an american citizen to buy one!

Could I have bought china ebay brakes for my car and saved $2200? Yup. Did I? Nope. I imported what teams were using from Australia that passed rigorous survivability requirements by people who would whomp on them harder than I ever will. 4 years later I haven't even touched them. I have back to back stops from 150mph + on those brakes. Dozens. Not so much as a hiccup. Yeah, I could have put blue stuff in the lines too. But the Motul was better. Yeah, it's $16 a pint. Haven't touched that either...
    The real question is would Ebay's brakes or stock brakes from Autozone have stopped you? The answer is yes.

You're comparing two different things. No one's saying Hi Point is the best competitive race gun you can get or the most efficent. Or that if you're doing swat raids it's what you should carry. Obviously you bought bragging brakes because you had money to blow for brakes.

At the same time show me anything for under $300 that is miles better. Hell show me any other .45 for under $200. Sure you could buy a Star 1911. I've never seen one under the $200.00 mark though.

Any S&W in the $300ish or under range is going to be shit too if you want to talk about trigger pull, and efficency. I won't speak for Ruger. But I can surmise the same in the same price range.

No basically you're equating Cobalt owners with stickers and painted wheels to people who road race STi's with 10K worth of suspension, turbo, tuning, weight reduction, corner balancing... and hundreds of hours of work as "car enthusiasts". As in all circles. There are those that do - and those that want to be. Excuses are made, and arguments are drawn to equate something dissimilar to the standard. And that is what is being done.

It goes bang, it's rated for +P. It has a warranty.

So what.

Your Chevy Cobalt is not my 500WHP daily driven Evolution. You don't have 100+ hours of tuning, a turbo I could shove my fist in. And you wouldn't even win a crash contest. Just because your car affliction bar was set lower than everyone else's accepted minimum - doesn't mean the bar comes down to you. But you like cars! Aren't you an enthusiast? Yeah.

When you get one worth owning.
    If it makes you feel better. Evo's and Hi Points are sorta the same. They're like assholes and everyones got one.

And I could say to someone.. "Yeah don't get an evolution.." "They're shit.. I mean look at them they look like a Kia ate alot of cake.. I heard the engine is shit.." "What's the biggest turbo you can put on one? Like a t4 frame? lolz" "And you'll never make the kinda power you could with a Supra MKIV.. So save your money from buying that peice of shit and buy the supra.. Something worth having" "Something that will appreciate in value.."

Really. There is always something better. It's just what your budget is. And that is the point. If you have sub $200 for a gun it's a great choice. If you have 1k for a gun obviously there are lighter, prettier guns.

Stop fisting your turbo.

But I'd be searching for used guns long before I'd pony up my money at a counter for a HiPoint. There are surplus hand guns I would rather have over this. All those CZ-82's floating around for $200. At least when I had more money to dedicate to a more suitable means of protection I could toss some schweet wood grips on the CZ and have something neat to own or work on.

CZ-82's are great. However not everyone who wants a gun for home defense is interested in modding it out, ordering $60.00 grips, having it gun koted/re blued, or working on it. It's usually the opposite. They usually have little interest in guns other than having one just to know they have one.

And I still think a Hi Poiint .45 with 8rds is gonna be better than 7 or 8rds of 9x18. Layawaying something better is great. If you're gonna have the $. Even still what do you say when you need it til then? "Dude.. Rob me in 3 months.. My gun is still in layaway.."

Stop being a whiney kid who spends too much on a Mistubishi Evolution. For a little more you could have got something better.
    Last edited by khankewycz; March 28th, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

And somewhere csmith sits saying to himself, all I said was that today I caught my father-in-law looking at a high-point......................WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    And somewhere csmith sits saying to himself, all I said was that today I caught my father-in-law looking at a high-point......................WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!
    im sure he knew where this was going and/or headed...

might as well start a Glock thread too!!

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast