Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default 16 Gauge Shotgun - Got distinct uses?

I have several 12 gauge shotguns and one beautiful 20 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum.

But the local shop has a really nice Remington 870 16 gauge shotgun with really nice furniture attached.

I have always wanted a 16 gauge just for the wanting.

Who has 16 gauge experience that can give reasons other than "It sure is pretty" for purchasing this shotgun?

Can you say there are certain times when the use of a 16 gauge would be choice over the others?

The price is only $235 which makes it pretty attactive.

Thanks for an help.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Berks County)

Default Re: 16 Gauge Shotgun - Got distinct uses?

Owned a few 16s over the years, can't really say they can/can't do anything "special" that a 12 or 20 can't but thats a fair price and you don't see them often so if ya want it buy it and use it for most anything that you would use a 12 or 20 for. only negative point is you wont have the selection of shells to choose from that you do for the other 2. If i found that gun at that price at one of my local shops it would be going home with me!

(Jefferson County)

It can be used for anything a 12ga be used for. Payload is slightly less, and you of course have less options of factory loads. There are only 2-3/4" shells for it. But of course you dont need 3" or longer for anything considering 2-1/2" 12ga shells have been used to kill every animal that walks the earth.

I used dad's Stevens 311 16ga SxS for many years. Rabbits, squirrel, dove, quail, grouse, grouse, etc, etc. I've even plugged an alligator with it that came after a friend and I as we were retrieving a bunny in Florida.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

My first shotgun (which I still have) was J.C. Higgins, bolt action, tubular feed, 16 ga. I have taken rabbits, squirrels, quail, grouse, pheasant, ducks and geese with it (as well a a lot of clay pigeons and soda cans). All with 2 3/4 inch shells. I've owned that gun for 47 years and it's probably close to 60 years old, and doesn't look a day older than 20.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lycoming County)

I will head over to the shop today and see if it still rests against the wall.

If so, it is mine!

Thanks everybody.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Erie County)

You'll definitely enjoy a 16 gauge shotgun, as it's good for pretty much any type of small game in Pennsylvania. I've got an Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge, and it is hands down the best handling shotgun that I own.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Cambria County)

I have a Rem 870 wingmaster 16g and love it for hunting. It is harder (and more expensive) to find shells for it though.

So, did ya get that thing yet?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

When my Dad died we split up the guns between my brother and I. He got the 16 ga. shotgun and I got the deer rifle. I sure miss that 16 ga. shotgun
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

The statement on a 16 ga is that it shoots like a 12 and kicks like a 20. I started shooting a single 16 when I was 12. I don't remember the brand but my grandfather got it mail order from Sears some time in the 20's. I still shoot a 16 ga sometimes and have fun doing it.

I have a 16 Ga Grade III Uggie SxS & it's the only shotgun that has left the safe (For hunting use) for 5 or 6 years. It's my favorite bird gun of all time.

Like this:
    http://www.doubleshotguns.com/ugarte...e3boxlock.html
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell