Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Dominant

(Lancaster County)

Default Cross Dominant

Yesterday was my third trip to the range after a 15 year layoff. Again, I was a little disappointed in my performance. I've been thinking about it and had a thought that proved to be correct. I'm cross dominant. Right hand left eye. It wasn't or didn't seem to be a problem years ago but I did all the little test and sure enough. I can't wait to get back to the range and try some different techniques. What's the prevailing thought on both eyes open? I was actually doing that last night towards the end with better results but ran out of daylight. I was taught to close an eye but imo both eyes open seems better from a tac perspective.
    Ayoob I think it was had a technique where he recommends canting the gun? I don't know... seems gangster to me lol I'm going to go with lining the gun up with my left eye rather than cranking my head farther over and both eyes open. Any other suggestions or tips? I'm not at all interested in shooting pistol left handed. I'm going to try rifle with open sights lefty. I imagine with a scope I could shoot right?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Cross Dominant

Hehe, I am left hand right eye. I decided to shoot everything right handed: bow, hand gun, rifle. Not a big deal after a little practice. I like shooting bow and hand gun with both eyes open. Rifle too, but I cheat using a red dot.

(Lycoming County)

I'm right handed and when I raise a pistol with both eyes open the sight picture doesn't really go to one eye or the other, it's just kind of a blur in between.

So what I do is, while I'm raising the pistol, close my left eye and get a good clear view with my right then just open my left completely.. after doing this for a few draws I wont't even have to fully close left eye anymore, I'll just squint it a little.. I'm talking like for a fraction of a second. Then as the day goes on it just becomes natural.

Anyways that seems to work for me, but everyone is different I suppose...

Just hold your gun in front of your left eye, both eyes open. Shoot right handed. Problem solved.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Monroe County)

Like stated before, when you shoot pistols, just turn your head and hold the gun toward the left side of your body. Easy enough. Shotguns and rifles need to be shot lefty. I am also cross dominant.

(Allegheny County)

Just turn your head a little. I am right handed and left eye dominant and shoot rifles and shotguns right handed as well. There are a few instances where it slows me down but my performance overall is on par with other decent shooters who are not cross dominant and that is enough for me.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Just turn your head a little. I am right handed and left eye dominant and shoot rifles and shotguns right handed as well. There are a few instances where it slows me down but my performance overall is on par with other decent shooters who are not cross dominant and that is enough for me.
    Just wondering if you actually use your left eye to aim when shooting long guns righty?

(Allegheny County)

Right eye. That is the one behind the sights/optics.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Right eye. That is the one behind the sights/optics.
    Thanks. I was concerned for a moment.

(Bucks County)

I am also cross dominant. For pistol i turn my head to the right and use my left eye. For rifle and shotgun I have the close the left eye. I have tried shooting left handed for long guns, but it just doesn't work.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast