Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Moving to Westmoreland soon, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Moving to PA. in Westmoreland county!

Hey everyone, looks like I'm going to be moving to Pennsylvania in about a month from Peoples republic of Southern Kalifornia Ha Ha. Hey, I'm into guns and I enjoy shooting and being prepared to defend myself and my loved ones. I'm wondering, Where does everyone go shooting in Westmoreland? Or nearby?
    Also, my girlfriend and myself want to apply for concealed carry permits and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice for what sheriffs office to contact and how to go about obtaining the permit? Can the permits be applied for without actually showing up to the sheriffs office?
    How much does a permit cost? Can we carry any gun we what after getting the permit?
    Thank you everyone for all your help! I'm looking forward to removing my bullet button from my AR mag release! Ye Haaa!

Default Re: Moving to PA. in Westmoreland county!

You must apply in your county of residence

Go here:

http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/she...iffNav=|35203|

Print the app. Fill it out, bring it with you. Bring $20.
    Your waiting time could vary from :30 to about one month it varies from county to county.

That's about it.

No restriction on guns you can carry. Except it is for handguns, and legally owned SBR, SBS, and I think AOW's.
    You cannot carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle regardless.
    Last edited by God's Country; March 22nd, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks God's Country. So there's no loaded long guns allowed in cars with a permit. Damn, I was thinking of dedicating a shotgun to my truck, I guess it will just have to be unloaded. Thanks.

You can always keep one in the truck with some ammo close by.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Westmoreland County)

Yep, that way will work for me. Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

welcome to the land of the free....... what part of westmoreland county you movin to? lotta good shops around and Sheriff John Held is a Great Sheriff on Gun Rights. 20 minute's $20 in and out with your LTCF (License to carry firearms). no permits needed to buy. no mag restrictions.

P.S. Stop on by Ace Sporting Goods and say Hi!! ask for Chris S.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Westmoreland County)

Hey man, thanks. I'm moving to the Greensburg area. I will visit Ace sporting goods and ask for you Chris when I move at the beginning of May come visit. That's awesome that this part of PA. has a pro gun rights sheriff! Thanks for the input.

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to God's country. The land of the free.

Please read the Pa UFA.
    It is the final word on firearms law in Pa, notwithstanding Federal statutes.

Please, feel free to ask any questions.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorT View Post
    Thanks God's Country. So there's no loaded long guns allowed in cars with a permit. Damn, I was thinking of dedicating a shotgun to my truck, I guess it will just have to be unloaded. Thanks.
    It's a violation the game laws to have a long gun loaded in your car. There's nothing I could find in the criminal codes that disallow it. Here's what I got back from the PAGC on this.

What are the game laws regarding carrying a loaded rifle in your vehicle. I have a concealed carry permit.

Is the rlfle considered "loaded" when it has a round in the chamber only?

Or is it considered "loaded" with a magazine inserted in it that has live rounds in it?

What I'm asking is, if I have a rifle in my vehicle that has a magazine with ammunition in it but the chamber is empty, is that considered a "loaded" firearm?

Thank you,

Here is the section from Title 34 (Game and Wildlife Code):

Sec. 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.

(b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply to:

(1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.

(2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.

(3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).

(4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.

(5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased.

(6) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits).

The exceptions in paragraphs (1) through (5) of this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.

(c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree if the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise the violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

I always keep a loaded rifle in my vehicle. My chances of being stopped by the game commission are slim to none.
    Captain

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    It's a violation the game laws to have a long gun loaded in your car. There's nothing I could find in the criminal codes that disallow it. Here's what I got back from the PAGC on this.
    What are the game laws regarding carrying a loaded rifle in your vehicle. I have a concealed carry permit.
    Is the rlfle considered "loaded" when it has a round in the chamber only?
    Or is it considered "loaded" with a magazine inserted in it that has live rounds in it
    What I'm asking is, if I have a rifle in my vehicle that has a magazine with ammunition in it but the chamber is empty, is that considered a "loaded" firearm?
    Thank you,
    Here is the section from Title 34 (Game and Wildlife Code):
    Sec. 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.
    (a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.
    (b) Exceptions. - This section shall not be construed to apply to:
    (1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.
    (2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.
    (3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).
    (4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.
    (5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased.
    (6) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits).
    The exceptions in paragraphs (1) through (5) of this subsection do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.
    (c) Penalty. - A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree if the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise the violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree.
    I always keep a loaded rifle in my vehicle. My chances of being stopped by the game commission are slim to none.
    Whoa whoa whoa. You're in clear and direct violation of Pa State law & The Game Commission Regulation! That's not something you want to boldly proclaim on the internet.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6106.1: Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms
    (a) General rule.-- Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    (b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    "Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    It is illegal to possess any loaded long-gun in a vehicle or other conveyance in Pa.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; March 31st, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast