Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger SR22

(Bucks County)

Default New Ruger SR22

I'd been looking around for a .22 as well as a pistol my wife can enjoy shooting at the range. Decided that the Ruger SR22 could possibly fill both slots. This little pistol arrived today:

The SR22 comes with thumb safety/decocker, mag safety, 2 rubberized grips, 2 10-round mags, 2 finger grip extension mag floorplates, and a soft case. You can find several mostly glowing reviews around, so I'll skip that and focus on some stuff I didn't find in those. The pistol is quite stiff overall atm and while the overall fit and finish look fine, initial dry-firing (yes, you can) showed the following:

- The rounded (and heavily ridged) hammer spur strikes the back of my (medium-sized but moderately overweight) gun hand while racking, and it hurts lol. My under-weight wife has smaller, thinner hands and had no issues. We'll see what happens when the pistol is fired.

- The mag release (button) is very tight, not easy to thumb-press without a major reorientation of my gun hand, and doesn't always seem to work without trying the left side, the right side, the left . . .

- The mag currently has to be inserted with force, a deliberate palm-slap. Fortunately, slapping the mag in has not caused the slide to release . . . at least not yet.

- The guide rod spring will not attach itself to the guide rod when "screwed on" as directed by the manual, or at least I haven't figured out how to do it yet lol.

- The mag floorplates are slightly loose and that creates an unsettling shifting feeling at times.

- I'm going to need someone much stronger than I am to remove the rubberized grip. And I'm gonna ask him to hang around while I compare the two grips

Some of these things may work themselves out, and we'll see what happens after a trip to the range.

For those with time and interest, a little story about my purchase experience and a $40 transfer fee follows.

===========================

A little over two weeks ago I went to Tanners to buy my second pistol from them this month, a Ruger SR22. They had none in stock, but said they had 50 on order with no idea when any shipment would arrive. Wanting a .22, and specifically an SR22, and wanting to buy from Tanners, I placed an order. Each week I stopped by to check on status, and there was no change - none in stock, many on order, no idea of when any would arrive.

So on Saturday I started looking around the Internet. Hard to find any, but Gunbroker had 4 or 5 on auction from two different sellers, one in GA and one in PA. I decided to register with Gunbroker and place a bid. Unfortunately, Gunbroker was having problems with their system, and I couldn't get a confirmation email/registration number (it finally did arrive on Monday). But I found the telephone number for the PA seller, called the store, and ordered one directly from them - at a "premium" price, of course lol.

I went back to Tanners, explained the situation, and got a copy of their FFL, no problem. I apologized multiple times - I wanted to buy from the LGS and gave what I consider a fair opportunity for them to get one. Frankly, I felt bad - like I was bringing bacon and eggs to a diner and asking them to cook it up for me.

The SR22 was ordered Saturday from Sportsmans Supply, shipped Monday, and arrived at Tanners Wednesday morning. Tanners called and I picked up the new pistol that afternoon . . . after paying a $40 transfer fee.

I'm new at this, but I have to admit I didn't expect that high a transfer fee price. OTOH, I certainly no longer feel in any way bad about about purchasing the pistol somewhere else lol.

My total pre-tax cost was $330 + $15 shipping + $40 xfer fee or $385 vs $309 + $10 = $319 xfer if I could have purchased it directly from Tanners. +$66 . . . more than 20% premium . . . haste makes waste lol.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; March 21st, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

Default Re: New Ruger SR22

I am currently enrolled in Gun buyers Anonymous so take this reply for what it is worth. I held the SR-22 and boy what a beautiful little .22! My guy cam at me with a price of a little over 310. Despite absolutely falling in love with piece, what a nice feel and overall appearance I resisted my urges...just say no to guns....as they say.

Onto your buying experience, I have a problem there. 1. if it local they should have relegated your previous purchase and knocked at least 15 bucks off that price. Could it be the location? I'm pretty intimate with New Hope because I use to live around that area, actually worked at the SBUX after fighting 10 years of boycotts....it's possible that NJ's influence is coming onto that area....perhaps 20 of the fee went to a gun free PA/NJ reduce violence campaign?

Needless to say, I think it's a nice gun and you did alright. I think alot of the issues you are experiencing are only temporary until you put a few rounds though it....use CCI or Federal target!

Sorry for the wacky reply....it's late and I'm on my phone but wanted to reply.

(Bucks County)

NP. Tanners is about 12 miles out of New Hope, and their pricing doesn't seem to be "New Hope" pricing lol. The prices on both my M&P9 and this SR22 were good - no complaints there.

That's why I was a bit surprised at a $40 transfer fee. I suppose its their standard, and I can certainly understand charging for providing (excellent) service for a sale they otherwise don't profit from. So I guess my problem is more with the side effects of a system that doesn't allow us to complete a sale with the stocking store, even when its in our home state.

And yeah, after 50+ dry fires the SR22 feels better already. Looking forward to the range tomorrow Er, later lol.

(Montgomery County)

I got my sr22 from Kentucky gun company $312 shipped and insured. $20 transfer fee up at Wellington's in souderton.
    The sr22 is pretty sweet actually, I just went thru another 100 rounds about 3 hours ago.
    It has been fed a diet of Walmart federal 550 value pack , no issues.
    As for the grip, put one hand over the top of the pistol with your fingers over the trigger guard and pull with your other hand on the grip, will come right off.
    Your mag release might just need some use to lighten up, I can drop the mag on mine with my middle finger on my shooting hand without changing my grip. I also put a little oil in the mag release too so that probably helps.

Make sure u give it a good cleaning too, the 22 residue seems to get into every creavice

(Montgomery County)

reading through your post again, thinking the may release is just tight with you having to slam the mags in.
    The floor plates on my mags rock back and forth too
    The recoil spring doesn't seem to screw onto mine either, I kinda gotta use my nails to pull it onto that hump while pressing the guide rod

Quote Originally Posted by sykopompos View Post
    It has been fed a diet of Walmart federal 550 value pack , no issues.
    I've had major issues running this through my Mark III in terms of accuracy from a rest....I'm talking 6-8inches off @ 45 feet.

(Lackawanna County)

People, these guns are having some problems with take down lever breaking, slide stop wearing a portion of material off of the slide and mag springs bunching up and barrel bolt coming loose.

Check both Ruger forums, dot com & dot net, and rinfirecentral.com for posts on them.

These guns DO run good, just watch out for problems and those that are sent back for repair are done so in 3 to 5 weeks.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    - The mag currently has to be inserted with force, a deliberate palm-slap. Fortunately, slapping the mag in has not caused the slide to release . . . at least not yet.
    Thanks for the review.

About the slide releasing on mag insertion: Some guns do it... not a big deal.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I've had major issues running this through my Mark III in terms of accuracy from a rest....I'm talking 6-8inches off @ 45 feet.
    Yeah, I took my sr out to 45 ft last night and I couldn't get any kind of grouping. I figured it was the ammo.
    I don't expect great performance from a Walmart value pack either

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    People, these guns are having some problems with take down lever breaking, slide stop wearing a portion of material off of the slide and mag springs bunching up and barrel bolt coming loose.

Check both Ruger forums, dot com & dot net, and rinfirecentral.com for posts on them.

These guns DO run good, just watch out for problems and those that are sent back for repair are done so in 3 to 5 weeks.
    I could definitely see the take down lever breaking, sometimes it works easy and other times it just won't budge.I seen the pics of the slide wearing, been checking mine, so far so good. I didn't hear of the other possible issues.
    It was between the sr22, a sig classic 226 or 229 in classic 22 so I did the intelligent thing and getting all three. I got the 229 on layaway and the 226 on order

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast