Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default need some help with reloading components

I reloaded for 20+ some years. Started at 10, stopped about 5 years ago due to work and other stuff. When my free time started running out I just switched to shooting milurp ammo.

I now have some free time to get back into this hobby and was taking stock of old reloading components I have around. It is amazing how much you can forget when you have not done something for so long. Can someone help me match the following primers to the calibers listed below so I know what I need to stock up on? I have at least 1k of each.

Federal no 200 small pistol (magnum)
    Federal no 100 small pistol
    federal 155 large magnum

federal 210 large rifle
    winchester small rifle

Calibers I shoot

9mm
    45 ACP
    45 LC
    30-06

Thanks

Default Re: need some help with reloading components

The primer matchup is sometimes dictated by the type of powder. I recommend consulting your load book and using what is recommended for whatever powder you are using. Small vs large is pretty self explanatory but regular vs magnum can change based on powder.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post

federal 155 large magnum

federal 210 large rifle
    winchester small rifle

Calibers I shoot

9mm
    45 ACP
    45 LC
    30-06
    45ACP - It depends on the brass. Traditionally, large pistol. Quite a few manufacturers are now using small pistol primers in this caliber (possibly magnum small pistol??).

9mm - Small pistol

308 and 30-06 - Large rifle

5.56 - Small rifle

You can use magnum primers in just about anything, HOWEVER drop back on the powder 1 or 2 percent and work back up. Keep in mind that the listed maximum may now be too hot.

With that said, I stay away from magnum primers for my pistol loads. The case volume is so small (and the powders are relatively fast) that there isn't much room for error. I don't want to take the chance.

45 LC - Don't load it, so I don't know.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Mercer County)

I reloaded for 20+ some years. Started at 10, stopped about 5 years ago due to work and other stuff. When my free time started running out I just switched to shooting milurp ammo.

I now have some free time to get back into this hobby and was taking stock of old reloading components I have around. It is amazing how much you can forget when you have not done something for so long. Can someone help me match the following primers to the calibers listed below so I know what I need to stock up on? I have at least 1k of each.

federal 155 large magnum

federal 210 large rifle
    winchester small rifle

Calibers I shoot

9mm
    45 ACP
    45 LC
    30-06

Thanks
    Something to maybe chew on when you next purchase primers. One companies mag, may perform similarly to another's std. Winchester and Remington for example, only offer one type of large pistol primer, and are made and used in all applications for the size and developed data.

Aside from a strain gauge setup attached to the barrel to measure pressures to some degree, a chronograph can tip you off to what a given charge is doing with a switch of type/brand of primer, and very deliberate testing can show very distinct accuracy preferences. One such example I see first hand concerns my custom .243 heavy varmint rifle and ball propellants. One of my most accurate loads using H414 in any weather, doubles group size using a std CCI 200 primer compared to their 250 Mag primer with all other variables the same. Changing primers can improve a loads extreme spread and std deviation if tested, and you can also see cleanliness improve with some pistol load combos, especially with propellants like HS-6 and in very cold weather... Some manuals will or have recommended a mag primer in std pistol rounds, especially when using "slower" ball propellants like the HS-6 I mentioned.

Also, primer cup differences/compound sensitivity can be a factor to consider. Even though my IMI Galil ARM has a firing pin spring, and using CCI 400 primers is perfectly OK, I always use CCI 450 mags... I like the slightly thicker cup of the mags if I fire a non spring loaded firing pin weapon, and also like the extra "kick" (brissance) they provide with the ball propellants I use in it, and I only need to buy one primer for my other free floating FP rifles. CCI 41 and 34 military style primers have a nice thick cup, rated as a magnum primer, and also are said to have a slightly different build, where the anvil is a little bit further from the compound and less sensitive to impact. This can be very comforting for folks who want to afford the most insurance against slamfires in certain weapons. Although I know folks use std Federal primers for every free floating firing pin rifle there is; I won't use anything at a bare minimum than CCI 200, CCI 400 and prefer CCI 250 or #34 for my military SA's using large rifle. Some say the CCI mil style primers are a gimmick FWIW as well.

Didn't mean to write a book, and wish I could say always use x for y, but in my experience it is not that easy, and have found some prudent experimenting and education has paid of big-time for me. Good luck, and welcome back to reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    Something to maybe chew on when you next purchase primers. One companies mag, may perform similarly to another's std. Winchester and Remington for example, only offer one type of large pistol primer, and are made and used in all applications for the size and developed data.

Aside from a strain gauge setup attached to the barrel to measure pressures to some degree, a chronograph can tip you off to what a given charge is doing with a switch of type/brand of primer, and very deliberate testing can show very distinct accuracy preferences. One such example I see first hand concerns my custom .243 heavy varmint rifle and ball propellants. One of my most accurate loads using H414 in any weather, doubles group size using a std CCI 200 primer compared to their 250 Mag primer with all other variables the same. Changing primers can improve a loads extreme spread and std deviation if tested, and you can also see cleanliness improve with some pistol load combos, especially with propellants like HS-6 and in very cold weather... Some manuals will or have recommended a mag primer in std pistol rounds, especially when using "slower" ball propellants like the HS-6 I mentioned.

Also, primer cup differences/compound sensitivity can be a factor to consider. Even though my IMI Galil ARM has a firing pin spring, and using CCI 400 primers is perfectly OK, I always use CCI 450 mags... I like the slightly thicker cup of the mags if I fire a non spring loaded firing pin weapon, and also like the extra "kick" (brissance) they provide with the ball propellants I use in it, and I only need to buy one primer for my other free floating FP rifles. CCI 41 and 34 military style primers have a nice thick cup, rated as a magnum primer, and also are said to have a slightly different build, where the anvil is a little bit further from the compound and less sensitive to impact. This can be very comforting for folks who want to afford the most insurance against slamfires in certain weapons. Although I know folks use std Federal primers for every free floating firing pin rifle there is; I won't use anything at a bare minimum than CCI 200, CCI 400 and prefer CCI 250 or #34 for my military SA's using large rifle. Some say the CCI mil style primers are a gimmick FWIW as well.

Didn't mean to write a book, and wish I could say always use x for y, but in my experience it is not that easy, and have found some prudent experimenting and education has paid of big-time for me. Good luck, and welcome back to reloading.

thanks for all the replies and the above useful information...

I found my old reloading notes from back in the day that clears up alot of what I used what for....Kind of sucks, I have a ton of reloading gear and a ton of supplies, but have forgotten so much from not doing any reloading at all in over 5 years. I guess I probably need to just sit down with a manual or two and spend some time reviewing things.

(Monroe County)

thanks for all the replies and the above useful information...

I found my old reloading notes from back in the day that clears up alot of what I used what for....Kind of sucks, I have a ton of reloading gear and a ton of supplies, but have forgotten so much from not doing any reloading at all in over 5 years. I guess I probably need to just sit down with a manual or two and spend some time reviewing things.
    Once you get 'hands on' again, you'll be surprized at how much your 'hands' remember.

Read your notes, load a few, re-read your notes. You'll be back up to speed in no time.

Enjoy the components you have left over from past years. Once you get back into it you'll find the costs have gone up.