Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default H&R Model 929, what's it worth?

Someone I know came to me today inquiring about the worth of a H&R Model 929 .22LR revolver that he got from his father recently, he's going to keep it but was interested to see what it's worth. Looking online I can see one is worth between $150-$200 without the paperwork, which he doesn't have. I just wanted to get a confirmation on that. He doesn't know much about it other than his father purchased in the 1950's (At least he thinks) and has enjoyed plinking and hunting small game with it for decades. Looking it over personally it's in excellent condition, bluing is 100% and it has no rust. His father kept the pistol coated in a Vaseline like substance which seems to have preserved it. Mechanically it's in perfect condition. It's a sweet double action revolver that holds 9 rounds. So what is it worth? Here is the photo's:

I like it so much I might have to find one for myself, it's a well made revolver. It has a lot of weight for a .22LR revolver.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; March 20th, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&R Model 929, what's it worth?

Its only worth what folks will pay for it. One guy may pay $500, the next may only pay $50. $150-200 is about right though for it's condition.

AY = 1982 for it's production year.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Its only worth what folks will pay for it. One guy may pay $500, the next may only pay $50. $150-200 is about right though for it's condition.

AY = 1982 for it's production year.
    Thanks Knight, I will let him know. Glad I took a shot of the serial number. He was way off on the year of production.

(Cumberland County)

Odd thing is if the serial number starts with AY which I think is what it shows, by my H&R chart that is 1982 not 50's ( 50's run from K prefix through V - after going to Z, Serial numbers began AA, AB, etc. in 1964? Also, I think all 50's guns were in Worcester plant, not Gardner, Gardner was newer location ? Jim H. will probably reply as some point hopefully, he's the expert on H&R's for sure !
    I think $200 in excellent shape is about right - perhaps $250 if you're lucky
    Jim, please let me know if my date codes are correct Nice looking gun, I have several H&R's and enjoy them all.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Odd thing is if the serial number starts with AY which I think is what it shows, by my H&R chart that is 1982 not 50's ( 50's run from K prefix through V - after going to Z, Serial numbers began AA, AB, etc. in 1964? Also, I think all 50's guns were in Worcester plant, not Gardner, Gardner was newer location ? Jim H. will probably reply as some point hopefully, he's the expert on H&R's for sure !
    I think $200 in excellent shape is about right - perhaps $250 if you're lucky
    Jim, please let me know if my date codes are correct Nice looking gun, I have several H&R's and enjoy them all.
    Appreciate the input, for some reason he thought his father had it for longer than 30 years. He will be pleased to know it's worth so much. Does H&R still exist? Do they still make these revolvers? I really liked his and would have made an offer on his if I wasn't buying a new rifle this week.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Appreciate the input, for some reason he thought his father had it for longer than 30 years. He will be pleased to know it's worth so much. Does H&R still exist? Do they still make these revolvers? I really liked his and would have made an offer on his if I wasn't buying a new rifle this week.
    H&R still exists.

But the H&R corporation that made handguns is not the same H&R entity of today.

H&R went out of business in 1986. It was refounded shortly there after, and was bought by Marlin in 2000. Which in turn was purchased by Remington - who is owned by Cerberus Capital Management. H&R does NOT support the elder H&R's handguns, nor has parts for them. They completely divorced themselves of the old corporations products for liability reasons. The H&R of today does not make handguns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

H&R still exists.

H&R went out of business in 1986. It was refounded shortly there after, and was bought by Marlin in 2000. Which in turn was purchased by Remington - who is owned by Cerberus Capital Management. H&R does NOT support the elder H&R's handguns, nor has parts for them. They completely divorced themselves of the old corporations products for liability reasons. The H&R of today does not make handguns.
    That sucks, they made some really nice revolvers.

(Berks County)

I paid $125 for mine which is a 1956 model in 100% at a shop a few weeks ago if it gives any reference. Flat sided barrel, marbled grips, jeweled hammer, and 6" barrel.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    I paid $125 for mine which is a 1956 model in 100% at a shop a few weeks ago if it gives any reference. Flat sided barrel, marbled grips, jeweled hammer, and 6" barrel.
    I will have to keep an eye out, that's a great price.

(Cumberland County)

H&R still exists.

Yeah, too bad - I grew up 30 mins from the H&R plant in Worcester, and it was the first gun my Dad and I use to go shooting with ( model 922 ). Knight, I thought NEF picked up where H&R left off ? I know some of NEF's pistols are the same as H&R old models ( like my R73 ) ?
    H&R's are like crack, once you have one or two - you want more ! I've picked up two more in the past two weeks ( a Sportsman 999 and an old vest pocket 22 ).

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast