Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Looking to learn more information.

My wife and I are looking into getting a handgun, 1) To enjoy firing at a range and 2) for defense because my wives new job would require her to carry large amounts of money and deposit it at a bank.

I have never shot a gun except for a BB gun when I was really young and she has only shot a shotgun once a few years ago. So we wanted to get info on good ranges that rent handguns for use, what kind of hand guns are good for beginners, and any other information you might have for beginners .

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Looking to learn more information.

For your first gun I suggest a full sized 9mm pistol. Stick with a good solid brand name, like a Glock 19 or 17, Beretta 92fs, Smith and Wesson M&P9. Don't get caught up in things like stopping power and concealability on your first gun. Learn the basics of gun safety and always pay attention to them. Learn to shoot where you point from a reasonable distance (7 yards at a chest sized target) and get comfortable with the workings of the gun you choose (loading, unloading, chambering, shooting, etc).

Have your wife get a nice gun purse once she has her LTCF. And a tip about that whole "carries money for work" thing... never get confused as to why she has a gun. It is NOT to keep money safe or anything else you might imagine that has to do with work. It is ONLY for defense of her life when she is in fear of imminent death or serious bodily injury. This is very important, because as soon as you even think about having a gun for your job you need Act 235 certification. The gun isn't for work, it is for you. You just happen to be at work, or doing work things.

Good luck.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the tips on guns.

And we both agreed that the gun would be for her safety. If someone was just robbing her and left she would gladly give up the money. The second that robber started coming after her she would want to be able to use it for her defense.

(Dauphin County)

where about are you in dauphin im in halifax ive been looking for a pistol range near here but no luck

(Dauphin County)

I live in Midtown Harrisburg. I am trying to find a good range myself. The only one that I know rents gun is Freedom Armory but that's all the way in Glen Rock. I see other ranges such as Harrisburg Hunter's and Anglers and Blue Ridge Sporting Clays but I don't know if they rent guns for members.