Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Checking in guns at the courthouse

Anyone ever check their gun when going into the courthouse? I didn't see lockers at the main gate, and I was going to ask about it when I left today, but nobody was there anymore.

I know there is an alternate entrance on the back of the building, is that the entrace i should go into?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Checking in guns at the courthouse

I can't offer an answer specific to the CH your describing.

If you dont get a specific answer I can tell you just go in the "normal" pedestrian entrance and tell the deputy or rent-a-guard that you need to declare and check a personally carried firearm. Then as them how to proceed.

(Chester County)

its possible the alternate entrance may be your best bet, that is also where the sheriff's office is to apply for your LTCF

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
    Anyone ever check their gun when going into the courthouse? I didn't see lockers at the main gate, and I was going to ask about it when I left today, but nobody was there anymore.

I know there is an alternate entrance on the back of the building, is that the entrace i should go into?
    I go there with a ccw every now and then for real estate records and other legal documents, but I don't go through the main entrance on High St. (up the steps). I go through the plaza to the right of the steps as you look at the court house and enter through a door on ground level. There's a walk through metal detector and a couple deputies to take your gun and keys. They take your gun, lock it up, give you a receipt and you get it back on the way out. When I walk in and take out my keys I tell them I have a gun and wait for acknowledgement before moving to hand it to them. They usually ask me to put it on the table, but sometimes I'll hand it to a deputy.

I know this might be blasphemis to some, but the last few times I went I left it in my car instead of taking in, or left it home when I knew I was going there or somewhere else it's not welcome. I just don't feel like dealing with the checkin/checkout procedure and waiting around if the deputy is busy.

(Delaware County)

I know this might be blasphemis to some, but the last few times I went I left it in my car instead of taking in, or left it home when I knew I was going there or somewhere else it's not welcome. I just don't feel like dealing with the checkin/checkout procedure and waiting around if the deputy is busy.[/QUOTE]

I think that is the best advice for going to any court house.

(Chester County)

The Church St. entrance has the lock up boxes for firearms. They are in the firearms office before you go through the security screeners, there has been some debate about wether they were for public use or only Leo's due to the fact of the limited amount of boxes, versus the amount of Leo's coming through the courthouse each day. I will find out and post the answer.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by CJR55 View Post
    I will find out and post the answer.
    No need. The answer is in 18 Pa.C.S. 913
    The storage facilities required by the above law are for everyone, not just LEO.
    (e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.—Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d). (Chgd. by L.1999, Act 59, eff 2/15/00.)
    Emphasis mine
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; February 18th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.

(Chester County)

Smile Re: Checking in guns at the courthouse

I am aware of what the law states in regards to providing lock boxes. I also know that there are limited boxes at the courthouse and there has been discussion about who is allowed to use them. I do NOT set the policy nor do I have the ability to change the policys set forth by the powers that be. I believe they will make accomidations for the public carrying firearms I just am not sure of the procedure, using the lockboxes or some other means of securing the firearms. I merely wanted to clarify that there are lock boxes in Chester Co. and I wanted to help the public maybe save some time and heartache, in providing some first hand info on what to do and where to go during their visits go the courthouse.
    Last edited by CJR55; February 18th, 2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: content

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by CJR55 View Post
    I am aware of what the law states in regards to providing lock boxes. I also know that there are limited boxes at the courthouse and there has been discussion about who is allowed to use them. I do NOT set the policy nor do I have the ability to change the policys set forth by the powers that be. If the current policy does not comply with Pa. law so be it, that is a whole different topic that I dont want to get into in this thread, I merely wanted to clarify that there are lock boxes in Chester Co. and I wanted to help the public maybe save some time and heartache, in providing some first hand info on what to do and where to go during their visits go the courthouse.
    Ah, got ya. No sweat. I was unclear if you were inquiring because you did not know the law requirement or just in general.
    Yes, if they are stipulating the boxes are for LEO only they are in obvious violation of the law. And yes, that's a diff thread

I'll be interested in hearing what you find out. Thanks.

(Chester County)

Talking Re: Checking in guns at the courthouse

Sorry I took so long getting back. But the answer is good news, Chesco courthouse does supply lock boxes for the public they are on the Church St. entrance in the firearms division. Before you go thruogh the security screeners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast