Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many ?

(Clarion County)

Default How many ?

I remember not too long ago when a six shooter was more than enough.I see posts all the time that people would rather have 10 shots-vs-6 shots.
    How many rnds. does it take to feel comfortable.
    I personally picked up another G-36. --45 - 230 grn. -JHP. and I'm quite confident with that.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: How many ?

I think this is strickly a matter of personal preference. Depending on how i'm dressed i'll have 6-34 rnds on me.

Any amount on you is better than 1 million rounds at home.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(York County)

I think FBI records and statistics say the average self-defense shooting entails 2 - 3 rounds fired. Of course, that's average, and your own situation will be anything but. Ammo is like education or insurance. When you need it, you will be glad you had some, and you will wish you had more. I would love to know I have 50 rounds available without reloading, from a platform as reliable as a DA revolver, but that isn't going to happen.

I carry a 1911, 8-round mag and 1 chambered, and a spare mag. I was chatting with a PSP Officer last year about all this and basically what I told him was this: "At my age, 55, overweight, flabby/pasty/out-of-shape, arthritis throughout my body, etc... if the mere presentation and possibly a couple rounds fired doesn't get me outta Dodge, I'm in a game way over my head, and another dozen rounds won't help me."

He nodded his head in agreement.

I have 2 fire extinguishers in my home, I do not own a fire truck. I wear a seat belt, not a 5-point harness and roll cage. Know what I mean? Simply by carrying any firearm at all I am way ahead of "the herd" already.

Just my .02, YMMV.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Luzerne County)

I agree 100% with Curmudgeon. If my situation isn't resolved after 5 or 6 rounds, I'm in deep dodo.

(Allegheny County)

1911 .45acp 7rds+1 of hornady tap +p if that dont save my ass shame on me
    When unholstering your sidearm it is customary to say: "Excuse me while i whip this out"

What made the Glock 17 so successful was the awesome firepower that it held and reliability. At one point 15 round of anything was enough, then came the Glocks and it set a new standard 17 rounds of 9mm. I now have 40 cals that hold 15 rounds. And my guns that use to hold 15 rounds, i'm looking for there 17 round mag cousins.

I still think that 6-8 rounds are good enough by statistic of a gun fights 3.5 rounds ends it. But who can count on that.
    Last edited by Neko456; March 21st, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I usually carry whatever my current gun holds plus a reload. When I am wearing my shoulder rigs, I am packing 51 rounds of 9mm, not because I think I am going to need it, but just because I can

But seriously there arent many people out there who run towards gunfire. The reason I carry a spare mag is because I have heard self defense stories where people will swear they only fired 2 or 3 shots when in reality they emptied their gun. I know how I hope I would react if I had to defend myself, but in reality with those levels of adrenaline who knows how many it would take.

So am I comfy with the 7 rounds in my gun? yes am I comfy with the 20 round mag plus 2 spares? absolutely.

(Northampton County)

I think 14 .40 cal hollow points are more than sufficient
    Last edited by lhowland.40; March 20th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

(Chester County)

I used to carry a spare mag more for reliability purposes when I was carrying anything with 10 rounds or more.

When I got a Glock 36, I felt like its 6+1 was not enough capacity on its own and that I might actually need that extra mag.

Any time I carry a revolver, I carry a speed loader or speed strip.

(Schuylkill County)

12 40S&W Hydrashocks make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast