Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19

(Northampton County)

Default Glock 19

I have been in the market for a new semi auto the past months and have decided on glock 19. I know there is plenty out there on the g19( forums, YouTube) and have viewed alot of it. I know this is what I want, my problem now is gen 3 vs 4. I know there was plenty of problems in the beginning mostly with failure to extracts due to the new recoil spring assembly. Obviously the problem is known but does anybody know if it's fixed? On glocks website they say if you bought before July 2011 you can have it fixed 100% free. So to me that implies the models after then are good. Now what I'm trying to figure out if anybody here has boughten a gen 4 in the past year. I really don't have any problem buying a new gen 3 if getting 4 is a bad idea but I would rather get the gen 4, I prefer the grip and the changeable back straps also. So any recent experience with g19 gen 4 please share. Thanks

Default Re: Glock 19

Mine has been trouble free since the 1st round G19 GEN4. Glock went through a few recoil springs before getting it right and I believe they worked it out.

(Allegheny County)

Not sure if I would chance a gen4 yet, they are still not 100%.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I have a 3rd Gen Glock 19 like some recent threads have stated it is almost the perfect pistol. Its a good duty gun because of capacity and durabilty, range gun because oit easy to shoot (for some) and accurate and CC carry because of its size and lightweight even fully loaded

The Glock 19 is a great pistol add a slip on grip and ypu are done maybe night sights. I like the new grip and varsitiity of the gen 4 but. I'd wait on the gen 4 until they work things out.
    Last edited by Neko456; March 20th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

(Montgomery County)

The Glock 19 is what the State Department issued us, and I love it. I own all the Glock 9mm's and I think the 19 is my favorite to carry, but my modified 34 is my favorite to shoot.

I had a 4th gen one, and for the life of me couldn't get use to the grip in any configuration. It may have been a mental bias. My first hand gun was a G17 gen 1, I learned to shoot it, and I guess I am just very use to shooting that style. I would venture to say that when the gen 3s are phazed out, I will probably never buy a new Glock again, just rebuild mine (if I can ever shoot them out).

I can only recommend spending some time holding both for extended periods of time and see what you think. As far as Glock quality, its as good or better than anything on the market for the price. And they are getting pricey for what you really get.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick" T. Roosevelt

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Not sure if I would chance a gen4 yet, they are still not 100%.
    So about this. The only reports of gen 4 glocks not being right seems to be from people who "heard" about ones that didn't work. The few first hand people I can recall were last year and Glock sent them the new spring for free. I'm no Glock guy, but this is one of the top gunmakers on the planet. If you get a bad one they will make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    and CC carry because of its size and lightweight even fully loaded
    Lightweight? Compared to what? I've carried one in a supertuk and the thing is like a brick. I'll grant you that it is very comfortable for such a blocky gun, they did get all the right pokey parts rounded off. But it isn't lightweight. Just sayin.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    So about this. The only reports of gen 4 glocks not being right seems to be from people who "heard" about ones that didn't work. The few first hand people I can recall were last year and Glock sent them the new spring for free. I'm no Glock guy, but this is one of the top gunmakers on the planet. If you get a bad one they will make it right.
    Glock does not yet know what the problem is. They have been throwing parts at them for some time now. Some think it is the RSA, some think it is the ejector, and some think it is the extractor. The extractors in late Gen 3's and Gen 4's are known problems. The Lone Wolf Extractors, a semi-proven fix, were sold out for some time. The White Sound Defense H.R.E.D. is an improvement but does not improve the ejection pattern of the effected guns. Some have added a stronger extractor spring too, mixed results.

So... Do you want to buy a gun with known issues and no known 100% solution and still not have the problem solved or buy one that is less likely to have issues. If you like sending shit back, by all means, gamble on the Gen 4.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Butler County)

A Gen3 G19 is the ultimate swiss army pistol. Shoots well enough (it is the glock trigger, after all), is reasonably easy to conceal, has a relatively high capacity, easy part and magazine availability, and is damn near indestructible. I still own one, even though I've filled the safe with boutique handguns for almost every need. My summer daily carry is the little brother of the 19 (G26).

I recommend the G19 to many as a first handgun (assuming that's not the case for the OP). It does most everything acceptably, and a few things well.

That said, I'd buy a G3. I own a couple of glocks and will not buy the G4 stuff until it's got about 10 years of reliability behind it. Part of the idea with a glock is that you really should only ever have to change mag/recoil springs and even that's a question--my original 1999-ish G3 G19 is completely stock--magsprings, recoil springs, everything. I decided when I did not carry it anymore to see how long it'll last. It's north of 35k rounds on the original hardware. Were I carrying it, I'd have changed the springs awhile ago. During that time, it's had like 4 FTF (bad ammo) and maybe 3 FTE (one one bad ammo, one was a new shooter limp wristing it, and one was me intentionally limp wristing it). When I read reports of the G4 stuff being able to do this, I might upgrade.

I do like the ergonomics of the G4 a shade better, but not enough to trade in the rock-solid reliability that I've personally had with the G3. I suppose it depends on what's important to you.

(Monroe County)

I don't yet own a Gen 4 G19, but plan on purchasing one in the next week or two as my new primary carry. I do however own a Gen 4 Glock 22, which I purchased in March of 2011. After a year and approximately 3,500 rounds through it, I've never had any malfunction or issue of any type. The pistol still shoots as solid as it did when I purchased it a year ago.

As far as carrying the gun and thinking it's too heavy, that's generally a user issue, not a gun issue. 9 out of 10 people I hear saying even a G19 is too heavy to carry, don't have an actual gun belt, nor do they have a quality holster. I can carry my G22 in an IWB holster all day(which I do) and I don't even feel it, because I have quality gear to support my gun.

If you want the Gen 4 G19 go for it. Many people are moving to glock because the Gen 4 ergonomics just suit them better than the more bulky gen 3 did. 9mm ammo is cheap, that's why I'm moving back to it. 500 rounds should cost about 100$ +/-. Run it through the gun over the course of a few days, include some carry ammo, and if you have no issues your gun should be good to go.

I plan on running my gen 4 g19 through the gauntlet, so I'll be sure to report back once I've done so.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post

Lightweight? Compared to what? I've carried one in a supertuk and the thing is like a brick. I'll grant you that it is very comfortable for such a blocky gun, they did get all the right pokey parts rounded off. But it isn't lightweight. Just sayin.

456 - Compared to a steel 45 acp Commander or 40 cal Cougar or 96C. Now my Kel tec is smaller and lighter but harder to shoot. The SR9C is slightly slimmer and smaller but the Glock 19 to me still shoots better and I have more accessories for the Glock. The Ruger is a new pistol in my collection.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast